Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Hi, I'm new to this forum

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Hi, I'm new to this forum

    Hello everyone, I just started. I play recorder a little bit and I compose music using an application. I love classical music, and especially lute music such as silvius leopold weiss, I love recorder, bach, vivaldi, and vocal music. Wishing you all the best

  2. #2
    Moderator Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    26,058
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Welcome to Talk Classical Flowlow. Enjoy the forum - it's mostly harmless.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you. I'll post some questions soon

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    arkansas/missouri
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Greetings to you and welcome among us

  5. #5
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    73

    Default

    Welcome to TC. My own flirtations with the recorder were, almost certainly, less fruitful than yours have been. We were forced to learn the recorder at secondary school. I couldnt play it to save my life so it constantly sounded like a small bird being strangled in my hands.

  6. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  7. #6
    Senior Member Ingélou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Gemtown in Yorkshire
    Posts
    5,689
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    Welcome to TC. My own flirtations with the recorder were, almost certainly, less fruitful than yours have been. We were forced to learn the recorder at secondary school. I couldnt play it to save my life so it constantly sounded like a small bird being strangled in my hands.
    Welcome to TC, Flowlow, and I hope you enjoy yourself here, make friends, learn more about music, and get creative inspiration.

    (I like the sound of recorder in early music compositions, but with a massed orchestra of kids, not so much. However, learning the recorder at junior school was good for me, developing my ability to play by ear, and it meant that when I started the violin a year or so later, I could read music. I'm glad that the current UK craze for teaching children the ukulele means a more widespread take-up of music, but don't like the sound very much.)
    Last edited by Ingélou; Apr-29-2021 at 12:18.
    My fiddle my joy.

  8. Likes Clloydster liked this post
  9. #7
    Member Clloydster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ingélou View Post
    Welcome to TC, Flowlow, and I hope you enjoy yourself here, make friends, learn more about music, and get creative inspiration.

    (I like the sound of recorder in early music compositions, but with a massed orchestra of kids, not so much. However, learning the recorder at junior school was good for me, developing my ability to play by ear, and it meant that when I started the violin a year or so later, I could read music. I'm glad that the current UK craze for teaching children the ukulele means a more widespread take-up of music, but don't like the sound very much.)
    Yes, what is that all about - I'm hearing more and more ukulele lately. I'm all for it when I go to vacation in Hawaii with a nice Pina colada on the beach, but it is starting to get ridiculous!

  10. #8
    Member Clloydster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome, by the way! I've been here now for less than a month, and have really started learning a lot I didn't know previously. Lots of nice people around here who are willing to answer my naive questions!

  11. #9
    Senior Member Ingélou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Gemtown in Yorkshire
    Posts
    5,689
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clloydster View Post
    Yes, what is that all about - I'm hearing more and more ukulele lately. I'm all for it when I go to vacation in Hawaii with a nice Pina colada on the beach, but it is starting to get ridiculous!
    It's become a trend both in schools here and among older people wanting to take up music in retirement - there are flourishing ukulele groups in both the University of the Third Age groups that we were part of before Lockdown.

    The Uke does seem to be a more sociable instrument. We went to a display of the Ripon U3A Uke Class in January 2020 and a cheerier funnier bunch of people and tunes can't easily be imagined.
    Last edited by Ingélou; Apr-29-2021 at 15:50.
    My fiddle my joy.

  12. Likes Taggart liked this post
  13. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the warm welcome. I learned recorder at 2nd grade, and as an adult i picked it up and tried to play with my recorder. I play by hearing, I remember notes a little bit, but need to relearn

  14. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  15. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    15,600
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hello! I didn't know we have so many former recorder players around here.

    My experience is, in college, I was handed a sopranino recorder on Monday and given a piece of sheet music and was told I had to play it in concert on Friday. Fortunately, I got through the experience, but I haven't touched one of those beasts since. They're not very forgiving.

  16. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  17. #12
    Senior Member Chilham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    In my castle
    Posts
    1,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I played recorder in primary school. Not very well.

    One afternoon, together with one of the girls, I was summonsed to the Headmaster's office. We were told we were to be Head Girl and Head Boy for the coming school year. We were not to tell anyone but our parents. The excuse to be given for being summonsed, if asked, was that we were to play recorder to accompany the morning hymns at the main school assembly the next morning. We were told that after that, the Headmaster would make the announcement of our appointments.

    Pam was a good player. I was not, and an evening of practicing, "Hills of the North, Rejoice" (why, oh why?), and "To Be a Pilgrim", filled me with no more confidence, meaning a restless night ensued.

    I got through both hymns without making too much of a fool of myself, although I incurred at least one glare from Pam. I never again played the recorder, insisting that the glockenspiel was the instrument for me from that point forward.

  18. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  19. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's sad to hear that some of you were forced to play the recorder. I was'nt forced, but my parents signed me up for this course at the age of 8-9, and I actually enjoyed it

  20. Likes Ingélou, Manxfeeder liked this post
  21. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    15,600
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flowlow View Post
    It's sad to hear that some of you were forced to play the recorder. I was'nt forced, but my parents signed me up for this course at the age of 8-9, and I actually enjoyed it
    Ah, an outlier!

  22. Likes Ingélou, Barbebleu liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •