Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: Josquin 500

  1. #46
    Senior Member jegreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Alex Ross has a piece on Josquin and Renaissance composers more generally in this week's New Yorker.

  2. Likes Josquin13, Helgi liked this post
  3. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That was an interesting article, thanks for pointing it out.

    For others, here's a link,

    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ies-of-josquin

    Alex Ross also wrote a brief "listening guide" to Josquin in The New Yorker (with no actual suggestions for recordings, as far as I can tell),

    https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...osquin-desprez

    P.S. By the way, I should add that The New Yorker only allows a brief free access to the article, without a subscription. So, it's best to read the article all the way through the first or second time you click on it, because after that, you won't be granted access (as I tried to go back to print it out, & couldn't do so).
    Last edited by Josquin13; Jun-18-2021 at 07:20.

  4. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Todd M. McComb at Medieval.org has written on Ensemble Cappella's Josquin series, which he published yesterday, on June 21st. He mentions that he bought their recordings via "email":

    http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/remarks.html

  5. #49
    Senior Member Helgi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I enjoyed the Alex Ross article very much, so much so that I'll probably read it again and made a PDF copy just in case. Feel free to PM me if you have trouble accessing it.

  6. Likes Josquin13 liked this post
  7. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After a bit of a lull, a new Josquin recording is soon to be released on the Arcana label, in celebration of Josquin's 500th centenary. It comes from the group, Odhecaton, who have added "The Gesualdo Six", and members of "La Reverdie" to their singing forces. So it appears that they're seriously piling on the voices. The theme of the program is to "retrace" Josquin's (or "Giosquino" to the Italians) "itinerary" during his years in Italy, performing the Missa Hercules dux Ferrariae, which was composed for the Duke of Ferrara, and various motets that Josquin composed for his Italian patrons. Apparently, the addition of extra singers to Odhecaton, which brings the ensemble to twenty-two singers is for the "more solemn" (& therefore, presumably slower) pieces: https://outhere-music.com/en/albums/...in-Italia-A489.
    Last edited by Josquin13; Jul-13-2021 at 15:47.

  8. Likes gvn liked this post
  9. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    fwiw I've just conducted Josquin's motet Inviolata with my chamber choir in Portsmouth, U.K.

    It was our first concert in 19 months, so it felt very special. The group's specialism is obvious from its name, The Renaissance Choir. Forced to rehearse via Zoom was as pleasant as eating lightbulbs (and only slightly less injurious to the vocal cords) but our hopeless government eventually managed to create so many holes in its anti-Covid protection measures that we succeeded in rehearsing, firstly in a barn alongside new-born calves and, eventually, in a beautifully resonant church, albeit spaced 2 metres apart (from each other, not from the cattle).

    Inviolata was the only Josquin piece I managed to include because the requested repertoire demanded by the public exceeded six full-length concerts. But it was probably the best piece of the evening and we succeeded in keeping his music alive in our little corner of the globe.

    Unfortunately, we weren't able to record the performance.

    http://renaissancechoir.org.uk/

  10. Likes gvn, Josquin13 liked this post
  11. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's a link to another new Josquin release, scheduled for late August, 2021: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ez-baisiez-moy. However, I don't know how I feel about their accompanying Josquin's songs on 'modern' instruments that he didn't know--such as the onde Martenot, Fender Rhodes piano, and Buchla synthesizer... Nor do I understand how exactly that's "in keeping with the spirit of the composer". But, for now, I'll keep an open mind.
    Last edited by Josquin13; Jul-17-2021 at 20:10.

  12. #53
    Senior Member Helgi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Josquin at 501, from Cut Circle: http://cutcircle.org/recordings/josquin-at-500/

  13. Likes Josquin13 liked this post
  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Josquin13 View Post
    After a bit of a lull, a new Josquin recording is soon to be released on the Arcana label, in celebration of Josquin's 500th centenary. It comes from the group, Odhecaton, who have added "The Gesualdo Six", and members of "La Reverdie" to their singing forces. So it appears that they're seriously piling on the voices. The theme of the program is to "retrace" Josquin's (or "Giosquino" to the Italians) "itinerary" during his years in Italy, performing the Missa Hercules dux Ferrariae, which was composed for the Duke of Ferrara, and various motets that Josquin composed for his Italian patrons. Apparently, the addition of extra singers to Odhecaton, which brings the ensemble to twenty-two singers is for the "more solemn" (& therefore, presumably slower) pieces: https://outhere-music.com/en/albums/...in-Italia-A489.
    They appear also to be adding the brass ensemble La Pifarescha in the final movement of the Hercules Mass, so "piling on" does seem to be the right description!

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Two more Josquin centenary releases:

    Josquin-Malheur-Baudichon-Metamorphoses.jpg
    Josquin-MaterPatris-SecondaPratica.jpg

    The main work on Rebecca Stewart's disc is the Missa Mater patris.

  16. Likes SanAntone liked this post
  17. #56
    Senior Member SanAntone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Josquin13 View Post
    Here's a link to another new Josquin release, scheduled for late August, 2021: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ez-baisiez-moy. However, I don't know how I feel about their accompanying Josquin's songs on 'modern' instruments that he didn't know--such as the onde Martenot, Fender Rhodes piano, and Buchla synthesizer... Nor do I understand how exactly that's "in keeping with the spirit of the composer". But, for now, I'll keep an open mind.
    Not me. These kinds of recordings come around periodically and while they might initially sound interesting, without fail, they soon grow tiresome, IMO.

  18. #57
    Senior Member philoctetes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The recording with Rebecca Stewart's ensemble is exceptional.

  19. #58
    Senior Member SanAntone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Josquin13 View Post
    That was an interesting article, thanks for pointing it out.

    For others, here's a link,

    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ies-of-josquin

    Alex Ross also wrote a brief "listening guide" to Josquin in The New Yorker (with no actual suggestions for recordings, as far as I can tell),

    https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...osquin-desprez

    P.S. By the way, I should add that The New Yorker only allows a brief free access to the article, without a subscription. So, it's best to read the article all the way through the first or second time you click on it, because after that, you won't be granted access (as I tried to go back to print it out, & couldn't do so).
    I am not sure if I trust Alex Ross with this music.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •