Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: A Listening thread without a genre restriction

  1. #16
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Rock View Post
    Tomorrow I will post a poll about this in the Classical Music Discussion Forum, and a referring post in the non-classical forum. Le's see after a few days what the membership thinks. I think we should keep opera out of this.
    Wait. What?

    All music thread, except for opera? That seems . . . discriminatory.

  2. #17
    Senior Member SanAntone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Wait. What?

    All music thread, except for opera? That seems . . . discriminatory.
    That was not my intention - I'm fine with the thread to be open to every and kind of music.

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like the idea. Sometimes I am not sure about the genre of music I am listening to.
    There is "Current Listening - Anything Goes" thread, which was not too unpopular. (690 posts)
    Current Listening - Anything Goes
    The thread may be revived, or, a new thread may be created.

  4. Likes SanAntone liked this post
  5. #19
    Senior Member SanAntone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tortkis View Post
    I like the idea. Sometimes I am not sure about the genre of music I am listening to.
    There is "Current Listening - Anything Goes" thread, which was not too unpopular. (690 posts)
    Current Listening - Anything Goes
    The thread may be revived, or, a new thread may be created.
    I love it - thanks.

  6. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tortkis View Post
    I like the idea. Sometimes I am not sure about the genre of music I am listening to.
    There is "Current Listening - Anything Goes" thread, which was not too unpopular. (690 posts)
    Current Listening - Anything Goes
    The thread may be revived, or, a new thread may be created.
    690 posts in around 4 years. Current listening gets that in a few hours.

  7. Likes Manxfeeder liked this post
  8. #21
    Senior Member SanAntone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Burgess View Post
    690 posts in around 4 years. Current listening gets that in a few hours.
    So you don't have to use it. But I will since it matches how I listen and keeps things simple.

  9. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntone View Post
    So you don't have to use it. But I will since it matches how I listen and keeps things simple.
    I can see 1 member using it to inflate their number of posts.

  10. #23
    Senior Member SanAntone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Burgess View Post
    I can see 1 member using it to inflate their number of posts.
    What? "Inflate their number of posts?" Is that what you worry about?

  11. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntone View Post
    What? "Inflate their number of posts?" Is that what you worry about?
    Current listening should be current not what you listened to last night or maybe last week.

  12. #25
    Moderator Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    26,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Wait. What?

    All music thread, except for opera? That seems . . . discriminatory.
    Let me re-formulate: we would keep the separate currently listening thread in the opera forum - because there are quite a few members who almost exclusively go to that forum. People can still post operas they listen to on a new combined thread.

    Before I set up a poll (which should have a limited number of choices for maximum clarity): what would the members who brought up or supported the idea prefer?

    Option 1: we close the two main Currently Listening threads (classical and non-classical) and create a new combined one
    Option 2: we keep the two main Currently Listening threads (classical and non-classical) and create a new combined one (like the Anything goes)
    Last edited by Art Rock; Aug-21-2021 at 05:02.

  13. #26
    Senior Member SanAntone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Burgess View Post
    Current listening should be current not what you listened to last night or maybe last week.
    Who said anything about posting about last night or last week? That's not what people currently do with the existing listening threads.

    The only difference from the Classical and Non-Classical Listening threads would be that there would be no genre restrictions. In essence, combining the two Listening threads into one - which to me is a much more interesting way to see what people are listening to.

  14. #27
    Senior Member SanAntone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Rock View Post
    Let me re-formulate: we would keep the separate currently listening thread in the opera forum - because there are quite a few members who almost exclusively go to that forum. People can still post operas they listen to on a new combined thread.

    Before I set up a poll (which should have a limited number of choices for maximum clarity): what would the members who brought up or supported the idea prefer?

    Option 1: we close the two main Currently Listening threads (classical and non-classical) and create a new combined one
    Option 2: we keep the two main Currently Listening threads (classical and non-classical) and create a new combined one
    I prefer Option 1.

  15. #28
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Rock View Post
    Let me re-formulate: we would keep the separate currently listening thread in the opera forum - because there are quite a few members who almost exclusively go to that forum. People can still post operas they listen to on a new combined thread.

    Before I set up a poll (which should have a limited number of choices for maximum clarity): what would the members who brought up or supported the idea prefer?

    Option 1: we close the two main Currently Listening threads (classical and non-classical) and create a new combined one
    Option 2: we keep the two main Currently Listening threads (classical and non-classical) and create a new combined one (like the Anything goes)
    I apologize. I'm sometimes quite the literalist.

    In the grand scheme of things, I really don't care one way or the other.

    In fact, in spite of being the Resident Musical Director of a G&S Operetta Repertory Group, opera isn't really a passion of mine. I mean, I love the music, and arrangements, but those "art" voices . . . In fact, I prefer my opera to be sung by "pop opera" voices.

    I TRY to love opera, and there's some I like a whole lot, and I'll find recommendations here, and have a listen, but the stuff from operas I love is scarce.

    So, I guess, Option #2.

  16. #29
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    73

    Default

    I don't see the point in creating a new thread when we already have the 'anything goes' thread. Nuff said.

  17. Likes Manxfeeder liked this post
  18. #30
    Moderator Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    26,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    From a mod's point of view, I'm not sure that the Anything Goes thread is such a good idea. What exactly is the added value compared to the existing threads for classical and non-classical music, which together basically cover everything? And it is in the Classical Music forum, where it does not belong, seeing that probably 50% or more is not classical (my guess, I did not do the math).

    I'd rather have one thread to combine classical and non-classical listening, which could be in the Classical Music forum given that around 90% would be classical anyway. Or keep these two separate threads and create an additional thread specifically and exclusively for posts that list both classical and non-classical listening by the poster. That one could go to the Community forum.

    From a user's point of view, I hardly use the current threads (including the anything goes one) because I don't see the point. I would find a thread as outlined above with posts that list both classical and non-classical listening by the poster interesting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •