Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: New member

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New member

    Hello everybody!
    My name is Michael.
    As is true of all of you, I have an avid interest in classical music, just can’t seem to get enough.
    My favorite composers are Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin.
    Favorite is the key word here as I enjoy a host of other composers as well.
    When it comes to performers, I tend to favor pianists and violinists.
    Particularly; Lang Lang, Murray Perahia, Garrick Ohlsson, Joshua Bell, and Nigel Kennedy.
    As is true with composers, I enjoy a host of other performers as well.
    Looking forward to perusing the site.
    All The Best!

  2. Likes Triplets, Chilham, 1846 liked this post
  3. #2
    Moderator Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    26,040
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Welcome to Talk Classical, Michael. Enjoy the forum - it's mostly harmless.

    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or any other member of the moderators team.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    River Forest, Il, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,950
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Any Baroque favorites?

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not really, but good question.
    I mostly prefer the classical & romantic periods and my favored genres are Symphony, chamber, and trios.
    What Baroque pieces would you recommend?

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you. I do have a couple questions, but they may be resolved simply by spending time browsing the site.
    If not, I'll be contacting you.
    Thanks again.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome!

    I will give you a piano and violin recommendation for Bach, if you are looking for something Baroque (I am mostly into Classical and Romantic, too).

    French Suite No. 5 BWV 816 (Murray Perahia's 2016 recording, No. 6 from the same set is also stellar)
    Violin Partita No. 2 in D minor BWV 1004 (Hilary Hahn)

  8. #7
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael122 View Post
    Thank you. I do have a couple questions, but they may be resolved simply by spending time browsing the site.
    If not, I'll be contacting you.
    Thanks again.
    Just some advice, don't use the site search engine as it's crap (sorry mods). If I want to find (for example) threads about recordings of Beethoven's op. 18 string quartets I use those words followed by talkclassical in Google and get pretty good results, usually.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bharbeke View Post
    Welcome!

    I will give you a piano and violin recommendation for Bach, if you are looking for something Baroque (I am mostly into Classical and Romantic, too).

    French Suite No. 5 BWV 816 (Murray Perahia's 2016 recording, No. 6 from the same set is also stellar)
    Violin Partita No. 2 in D minor BWV 1004 (Hilary Hahn)
    Thank you for this! I have #5 by Schiff & Biegel. You are 100% correct, this is a wonderful piece. There can be little doubt Perahia brings something special and I will have his effort on the CD you indicate, soon. Looking forward to it. Thanks for both these recommendations.

  10. Likes bharbeke liked this post
  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    Just some advice, don't use the site search engine as it's crap (sorry mods). If I want to find (for example) threads about recordings of Beethoven's op. 18 string quartets I use those words followed by talkclassical in Google and get pretty good results, usually.
    This was an excellent tip, and has worked very well- just as you describe.
    Probably will be using this method of search with increasing frequency.
    Thanks again!

  12. #10
    Moderator Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    26,040
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I've prepared a blog entry that answers some questions new members often have:

    https://www.talkclassical.com/blogs/...w-members.html

  13. #11
    Senior Member Haydn70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Posts
    875
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    Just some advice, don't use the site search engine as it's crap (sorry mods). If I want to find (for example) threads about recordings of Beethoven's op. 18 string quartets I use those words followed by talkclassical in Google and get pretty good results, usually.
    This works much better: precede your search word(s) with site "talkclassical" and follow the search word(s) with site:www.talkclassical.com...like this:

    site "talkclassical" your search word(s) here site:www.talkclassical.com
    Last edited by Haydn70; Sep-17-2021 at 05:53.
    “If it is art, it is not for all, and if it is for all, it is not art.”

    Arnold Schoenberg

  14. Likes Merl liked this post
  15. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Rock View Post
    I've prepared a blog entry that answers some questions new members often have:

    https://www.talkclassical.com/blogs/...w-members.html
    Art, Thank you for this, but i wasn't able to access it.
    Upon trying to open it, I received the following prompt:
    "Michael122, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1 - Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2 - If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation." Perhaps it'll be available after 10 posts?

  16. #13
    Moderator Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    26,040
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Yes, I was not aware of that restriction. I will put it up latest tomorrow as a regular post that everyone can see, and that we canlink to in every "new member" thread. For the time being, this is what I wrote:

    A short guideline for new members

    Welcome to Talk Classical!

    A bit of background information that may answer questions you may have now or soon...

    General information about the do's and don't's can be found here:
    Forum Rules, Guidelines & Terms of Service

    You want to search certain subjects? You wonder how to insert an image? You can't edit or delete posts? Several of such questions are answered here:
    Tips, Tricks and Workarounds

    You may find out, especially during the first weeks, that you make a post and that it does not appear on the site (instead you'll get a message about moderation). This happens because the site's software has flagged your post as potential spam. Most of the time of course, there's nothing wrong with it, and a moderator will approve it. This may take some time, because we have a small team of moderators and cannot provide 24 hours coverage. Some forums and sub-forums will required moderator approval of any new thread.

    If you have any questions about how things work here, you can always contact one of the moderators.

    Anyway, enjoy the site. it's mostly harmless.

  17. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haydn70 View Post
    This works much better: precede your search word(s) with site "talkclassical" and follow the search word(s) with site:www.talkclassical.com...like this:

    site "talkclassical" your search word(s) here site:www.talkclassical.com
    Thank you for this excellent tip! Look forward to any more you may have.

  18. Likes Haydn70 liked this post
  19. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Rock View Post
    Yes, I was not aware of that restriction. I will put it up latest tomorrow as a regular post that everyone can see, and that we canlink to in every "new member" thread. For the time being, this is what I wrote:

    A short guideline for new members

    Welcome to Talk Classical!

    A bit of background information that may answer questions you may have now or soon...

    General information about the do's and don't's can be found here:
    Forum Rules, Guidelines & Terms of Service

    You want to search certain subjects? You wonder how to insert an image? You can't edit or delete posts? Several of such questions are answered here:
    Tips, Tricks and Workarounds

    You may find out, especially during the first weeks, that you make a post and that it does not appear on the site (instead you'll get a message about moderation). This happens because the site's software has flagged your post as potential spam. Most of the time of course, there's nothing wrong with it, and a moderator will approve it. This may take some time, because we have a small team of moderators and cannot provide 24 hours coverage. Some forums and sub-forums will required moderator approval of any new thread.

    If you have any questions about how things work here, you can always contact one of the moderators.

    Anyway, enjoy the site. it's mostly harmless.
    Thank you for the second effort.
    Really liking this site, by the way.
    The people/posts all seem so wonderful and well informed.

  20. Likes Art Rock liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •