View Poll Results: What to wear?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full evening wear (white tie)

    0 0%
  • Evening wear (black tie)

    3 10.34%
  • Lounge suit

    7 24.14%
  • Smart casual (sports coat, slacks)

    14 48.28%
  • Casual wear

    15 51.72%
  • Very casual wear (distressed jeans, old gym shoes, t shirt)

    2 6.90%
  • Fancy dress costume.

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: Dressing up for concerts

  1. #46
    Senior Member Malx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When I visited the Met in New York a few years back I wore casual trousers a casual shirt, collared, and a non dress jacket - when sitting for over three hours I want to be comfortable.
    Most people were aok and didn't bat an eye - but I did sense a number of people who were there in their pomp were less than impressed.
    Whilst this may not be indicative of all these people I did overhear a couple of overdressed matronly ladies asking what the evenings Opera was called - sad.

  2. Likes Enthusiast liked this post
  3. #47
    Senior Member Enthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The only time I have been disturbed by my "fellow" listeners was when I was 20 and got a free ticket to the Royal Opera House that was in the stalls, where the posh people sit. They had already found a hundred ways to make me feel I was in the wrong place - although I had dressed smartly enough, it must have been clear to them that I was not of their class - so I wasn't feeling that comfortable. But then the music started and so did the very posh schoolgirls sitting behind me ... they started to open bags of sweets and crisps and whispering to each other. No one else seemed bothered by this. What did I learn? Never sit where the posh people sit.
    Last edited by Enthusiast; Sep-29-2021 at 14:38.

  4. Likes Malx liked this post
  5. #48
    Senior Member eljr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malx View Post
    When I visited the Met in New York a few years back I wore casual trousers a casual shirt, collared, and a non dress jacket - when sitting for over three hours I want to be comfortable.
    Most people were aok and didn't bat an eye - but I did sense a number of people who were there in their pomp were less than impressed.
    Whilst this may not be indicative of all these people I did overhear a couple of overdressed matronly ladies asking what the evenings Opera was called - sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    The only time I have been disturbed by my "fellow" listeners was when I was 20 and got a free ticket to the Royal Opera House that was in the stalls, where the posh people sit. They had already found a hundred ways to make me feel I was in the wrong place - although I had dressed smartly enough, it must have been clear to them that I was not of their class - so I wasn't feeling that comfortable. But then the music started and so did the very posh schoolgirls sitting behind me ... they started to open bags of sweets and crisps and whispering to each other. No one else seemed bothered by this. What did I learn? Never sit where the posh people sit.
    Damned guys.

    I have never had any problems like this. Could it be something from within rather than "others" actions?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

  6. #49
    Senior Member Neo Romanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The next concert I'll attend, I'll probably wear one of my composer shirts with blue jeans and a sports jacket like this one:



    As for shoes, I'll be wearing my customary Clarks sports shoes that have slight olive color to them.
    Last edited by Neo Romanza; Oct-02-2021 at 20:32.
    "Humility is society's greatest misconception."

  7. Likes eljr liked this post
  8. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    2,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    I do like to dress up because feel as though going to a classical concert is something special!

  9. Likes Dan Ante, FrankE, eljr liked this post
  10. #51
    Senior Member Malx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eljr View Post
    Damned guys.

    I have never had any problems like this. Could it be something from within rather than "others" actions?
    .................................................. .......................................
    Last edited by Malx; Oct-04-2021 at 18:12.

  11. #52
    Senior Member TwoFlutesOneTrumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I put on pants.

  12. #53
    Senior Member BachIsBest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFlutesOneTrumpet View Post
    I put on pants.
    You might want to throw a shirt in there as well. I hear they like those to be worn at concerts.

  13. Likes TwoFlutesOneTrumpet liked this post
  14. #54
    Senior Member Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFlutesOneTrumpet View Post
    I put on pants.
    I put on pants and trousers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •