Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: First species two part exercise - what would you do?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default First species two part exercise - what would you do?

    Currently brushing up on my counterpoint from the start and curious what other people would do with this cantus firmus.

    PXL_20211004_185655110.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member EdwardBast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Questions:

    Renaissance style or 18th century?

    Cantus firmus in the soprano?

    What I would do with the cantus firmus is have you write the counterpoint and then suggest alternatives if there's a problem.

    Your frogs make me shudder with intolerable loathing and I shall be miserable for the rest of my life remembering them.
    — Mikhail Bulgakov, The Fatal Eggs

    When a true genius appears on the earth, you may know him by this sign, that all of the dunces are in confederacy against him.
    — Jonathan Swift

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardBast View Post
    Questions:

    Renaissance style or 18th century?

    Cantus firmus in the soprano?

    What I would do with the cantus firmus is have you write the counterpoint and then suggest alternatives if there's a problem.
    I am using the CT as soprano and Counterpoint in composition, Salzer as my text so 18th century I think?

    This was my thinking

    PXL_20211005_233618099.jpg

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWeb View Post
    I am using the CT as soprano and Counterpoint in composition, Salzer as my text so 18th century I think?

    This was my thinking

    PXL_20211005_233618099.jpg
    Ok, as soon as i posted i spotted the error. Got rid of the Aug.

    PXL_20211005_234708490.jpg

  5. #5
    Senior Member mikeh375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,995
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    ^^4th semibreve octave D is not the best solution, b flat in the lower vox is preferable.
    Last edited by mikeh375; Oct-06-2021 at 07:13.

  6. Likes Haydn70, GeorgeWeb liked this post
  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh375 View Post
    ^^4th semibreve octave D is not the best solution, b flat in the lower vox is preferable.
    Great, thanks for the tip Mike

  8. Likes mikeh375 liked this post
  9. #7
    Senior Member EdwardBast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Beginning on G was also a possibility.

    Your frogs make me shudder with intolerable loathing and I shall be miserable for the rest of my life remembering them.
    — Mikhail Bulgakov, The Fatal Eggs

    When a true genius appears on the earth, you may know him by this sign, that all of the dunces are in confederacy against him.
    — Jonathan Swift

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardBast View Post
    Beginning on G was also a possibility.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Would the rest of the exercise still work if I started on the G?

  11. #9
    Senior Member EdwardBast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWeb View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Would the rest of the exercise still work if I started on the G?
    Oh sure. The G minor triad it implies is within the key of Bb. Were it not for the F natural in the c.f., it would have been easy to write the whole phrase in G minor using F# for the leading tone.

    Your frogs make me shudder with intolerable loathing and I shall be miserable for the rest of my life remembering them.
    — Mikhail Bulgakov, The Fatal Eggs

    When a true genius appears on the earth, you may know him by this sign, that all of the dunces are in confederacy against him.
    — Jonathan Swift

  12. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My next counterpoint exercise for anyone who would like to join in

    I will treat this as an alto line and put in a lower counterpoint in the tenor range.

    I think that A might be a little high for an alto so transposing it down to b flat would be better, but that is just a guess rather than anything that comes from any knowledge or expertise. Maybe someone here will know better on a comfortable alto range.

    Thanks for the tips so far. Happy Friday from Auckland, New Zealand


    PXL_20211007_230647591.jpg

  13. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardBast View Post
    Oh sure. The G minor triad it implies is within the key of Bb. Were it not for the F natural in the c.f., it would have been easy to write the whole phrase in G minor using F# for the leading tone.
    That is really useful. Thanks Edward

  14. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWeb View Post
    My next counterpoint exercise for anyone who would like to join in

    I will treat this as an alto line and put in a lower counterpoint in the tenor range.

    I think that A might be a little high for an alto so transposing it down to b flat would be better, but that is just a guess rather than anything that comes from any knowledge or expertise. Maybe someone here will know better on a comfortable alto range.

    Thanks for the tips so far. Happy Friday from Auckland, New Zealand


    PXL_20211007_230647591.jpg
    This was my initial thoughts on a tenor counterpoint.

    I think next I will use the cantus firmus to write an upper counterpoint, and transpose to a new key just to keep things interesting.

    PXL_20211008_193942578.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •