Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: I'm going to have my 'first' performance and I need some help?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I'm going to have my 'first' performance and I need some help?

    So, I just got invited to play piano during this important dinner at some restaurant. I'm no professional pianist, some of the people attending to the meeting happen to know me so they decided to pick me. Obviously I'm scared but I couldn't say no because I have to start somewhere right? Especialy because the only time I performed to an audience I forgot the entire thing and embarassed myself in front of everyone. I really need to learn how to play in front of people.

    Unfortunately I don't have much time to prepare, so I wanted to ask if any of you know simple and well kown musical pieces that sound good? What kind of music would you like to listen during a dinner?

    The only pieces I got completely ready yet are: Fur Elise (obvious one is obvious), Moonlight sontata first movement and Canon in D.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would get bored to death if pianist in restaurant would play those pieces you mentioned.

    What about some light and tuneful waltzes?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s74ADnILDI0

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WpDH5zbhIk

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGoke7G68dc

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I would get bored to death if pianist in restaurant would play those pieces you mentioned.

    What about some light and tuneful waltzes?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s74ADnILDI0

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WpDH5zbhIk

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGoke7G68dc
    Me too. But I thought they were popular ones that the general public knew, and maybe keep them a bit interested.

    Thank you for those links I really wanted to prepare a chopin waltz but I wasn't sure which one. I'll search for the sheets of those pieces and see if it's worth it considering I don't have much time.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ignis Fatuus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is no right answer to this question. It's all about suitability to the situation. If it's anything like DJ'ing (which I think it is), then the best scenario is to have a large repertoire so that you can react to the audience.

    The safe option would be soft, unintrusive jazz. I'm no expert on jazz so I can't describe it better, but I hope you know what I mean.

    Aramis's walzes are also a good choice.

    Don't pick pieces that are too laden with emotion - it can make for a very stressful soundtrack to a meal. Moonlight sonata is perhaps too dramatic and dark, but should be ok if you put it amongst other, more light hearted and less-demanding pieces (EDIT: I mean, demanding for the listener).

  5. #5
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    4,895
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In past experiences of venues with pianos in restaurants, the piano keys can be very greasy. so I always take along something to clean them with. Even the most upscale restaurants had greasy keys , in fact, they were the worst ones.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    There is no right answer to this question. It's all about suitability to the situation. If it's anything like DJ'ing (which I think it is), then the best scenario is to have a large repertoire so that you can react to the audience.

    The safe option would be soft, unintrusive jazz. I'm no expert on jazz so I can't describe it better, but I hope you know what I mean.

    Aramis's walzes are also a good choice.

    Don't pick pieces that are too laden with emotion - it can make for a very stressful soundtrack to a meal. Moonlight sonata is perhaps too dramatic and dark, but should be ok if you put it amongst other, more light hearted and less-demanding pieces (EDIT: I mean, demanding for the listener).
    Oh Jazz isn't a very good idea for me because I know nothing about it actualy I never even played jazz before I'm clueless.
    Yes I understand about moonlight. It might be too dramatic, its a shame really because it's my favourite of the 3 . I still have much to think about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krummhorn View Post
    In past experiences of venues with pianos in restaurants, the piano keys can be very greasy. so I always take along something to clean them with. Even the most upscale restaurants had greasy keys , in fact, they were the worst ones.
    Haha thanks for the tip

  7. #7
    Member Praine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You should replace Moonlight Sonata with the second movement from the Pathetique (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2nG1bt7IBM). Quite popular, very beautiful and less soporific.

    Also if everyone's just sitting around drinking coffee or whatever, a lot of Erik Satie's music would be a nice choice (and it's all relatively simple as well).

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Praine View Post
    You should replace Moonlight Sonata with the second movement from the Pathetique (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2nG1bt7IBM). Quite popular, very beautiful and less soporific.

    Also if everyone's just sitting around drinking coffee or whatever, a lot of Erik Satie's music would be a nice choice (and it's all relatively simple as well).
    Oh thank you so much! I almost forgot that I actualy started to learn that same movement some time ago. That really is a great idea I should go back to work on it.

    And Erik Satie might be a good idea. I remember playing his Gymnopédie no.1 when I was little. I might still have the sheets somewhere.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lukecash12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Me too. But I thought they were popular ones that the general public knew, and maybe keep them a bit interested.

    Thank you for those links I really wanted to prepare a chopin waltz but I wasn't sure which one. I'll search for the sheets of those pieces and see if it's worth it considering I don't have much time.
    Honestly, you don't need to worry about that at all. A sizable portion of why people only know a few classical pieces is because we patronize them, thinking they would find anything else to be dull or boring. Trust me that it won't turn out that way. If it sounds accessible, and is somewhat catchy, they will enjoy it. Don't underestimate the general public, my friend.

    But that's just my two cents.
    There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.
    Nahj ul-Balāgha by Ali bin Abu-Talib

  10. #10
    Senior Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    How about Dvoraks Humoresque.. the famous one!

    Dont play fur elise

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ignis Fatuus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emiellucifuge View Post
    Dont play fur elise
    Yes I forgot the mention this. If they are old enough to have children, they may already be sick of this one.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fur Elise is out. No no no no.

    Scarlatti is your friend...

    Graeme

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As long as the music keeps flowing it's fine. It's important to play only pieces that you either know, or know you can get yourself out of a spell if needed. My advice regarding to stage fright is start studying. Now. All the time.

    Play 2 pieces you know well at the beginning and end of each set. other then that, it's unlikely anybody will really listen to you.


    As people said, Fur Elize (Let's call it a Bagatelle shall we?) is horrible. It's so cliché even clichés get curling toes when they hear it.


    More simple tunes:

    Le Petit Negre, Debussy
    Kinderszenen (Particularly the first, second and last), Schumann
    Two-part inventions, Bach
    Mikrocosmos (first few books, if you want something slightly modern), Bartok
    Nocturne Op9 n2, Chopin.

  14. #14
    Newbies Yano_07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Everytime I hear Fur Elise playing, I always get the creeps.

    Canon in D is just fine, but not a good one if you're planning to play the whole piece infront of public. ( including those who doesnt know classicals that much ) Coz it will be... well... boring for those who'll listen to you.
    Yano - came from the word piano; meaning, pianist.

    I just made it up.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Me too.

    My dining fantasy is that some unassuming geek will come up to sit by the piano, and thrash out Alexander Scriabin's Piano Sonatas from start to end, including the Black Mass, and the mad professor's hair flailing around like Medusa's hairdo with all the emotional ecstasy written in the music.

    Btw - maybe have a few improvised 'pop' songs you can pull out on piano and surprise them, to liven it up? Most diners will just ignore the music, unless it is downright terrible, or if you start wielding keystrokes for 'Three Blind Mice' out. Chill and enjoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Virtual performance of complete Stravinsky's Rite of Spring using VSL
    By JBacal in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May-22-2019, 01:32
  2. MusicDishTV: Classical Vocal Performance by Wilhelm Pfeiffer of 'Lob der Faulheit'
    By mixtapes23 in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug-27-2009, 17:00
  3. Music You'd Like to Hear in a Live Performance
    By LvB in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Apr-06-2009, 23:12
  4. Historically informed performance of Baroque and Classical music
    By Croatia in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct-13-2008, 14:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •