Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Wiener Philharmoniker

  1. #1
    Junior Member Weltschmerz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Big D
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Wiener Philharmoniker

    I just wanted to let everyone know that the Vienna Philharmonic is the greatest orchestra in the world. There is simply no comparison or contest. No - not New York, not Chicago, not London, not even Berlin. Wiener Philharmoniker reigns supreme in the music world.
    "When all hopes of recognition or honor have faded into distant memory, when purity of heart meets sorrow of mind, when all the world seems to walk in blindness, and yet a man works without wearying for that which he loves...only in this moment is passion truly understood." - Franz Schubert, 1827

  2. Likes Vaneyes liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Amfibius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why do you think that, Weltschmerz? Can you name some pieces that you think they do particularly well in? (Serious music only - Strauss does not count!)

  4. Likes Bone liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member linz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What about R. Strauss, does he count (Levine/Sintow) 'Ariadne auf Naxos'
    Wiener Philharminker spiecializes in 'Austro-Germanic' late-Classical to late-Romantic music, anything in that frame they do fairly well. Lorin Maazel also conducted a fine set of the complete Sibelius Symphonies on the London label, it was also with the Vienna Philharmonic.

  6. Likes Bone liked this post
  7. #4
    Andante
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that the Vienna Philharmonic is the greatest orchestra in the world. There is simply no comparison or contest. No - not New York, not Chicago, not London, not even Berlin. Wiener Philharmoniker reigns supreme in the music world.
    You cant get away with that. You must tell us why otherwise it means nothing.
    PS where is the Big D????

  8. #5
    Senior Member 4/4player's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On what evidence?
    Please state your reasons why with your opinion.

    4/4player
    " 'Penitence!'
    'No!'
    'Penitence!'
    'No!'
    'Penitence!'
    'No!'
    'Yes!'
    'Nooooooooooo!' [Dragged down into Hell]
    - Act two: Finale of Mozart's "Don Giovanni"

  9. #6
    Senior Member Kurkikohtaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prague, CZ
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by linz View Post
    Lorin Maazel also conducted a fine set of the complete Sibelius Symphonies on the London label ...
    Oh good lord I just noticed this should I reply or should I just keep my big Sibelian mouth shut what should I do I'm sweating shaking trembling I can barely breathe ok here goes:

    Among Sibelius afficionados, that cycle is considered THE most obscene one available. It is surprising based on Maazel's other fine recordings with Vienna that he would demand so many extreme dynamics and tempos and take so many liberties with this set. If this was the first thing I had ever heard from the Vienna Philharmonic, (which thankfully it isn't), I would probably never buy a Vienna Phil recording again.

    Otherwise a fine orchestra, and not just for Johann Strauss.

    For a discussion of good Sibelius cycles, you know where to go...

  10. #7
    Junior Member Shane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that the Vienna Philharmonic is the greatest orchestra in the world. There is simply no comparison or contest. No - not New York, not Chicago, not London, not even Berlin. Wiener Philharmoniker reigns supreme in the music world.
    Are you speaking for the present moment only, or for all-time? Just wondering if it is based on the current players, of if past accomplishments are figured into this opinion?
    Because everyone knows that Berlin under Furtwangler was the best ever.
    Last edited by Shane; Jan-05-2007 at 19:24.

  11. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think that post by Weltschmerz was his/her last.

    Since then the VPO has been voted best orchestra in Europe by a panel of music journal judges.

    I don't have any dodgy recordings by VPO. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I guess if a dodgy one slips through the net now and then it won't sell, so they will likely discount it or discontinue it.

    I like the VPO mainly because of its really nice strings section. On disc, it always sounds among the best to me. As far as I am concerned, the VPO can do no wrong. I saw them at the Proms (in London) a few years ago and they were fantastic.


    Topaz

  12. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's a mute point trying to figure out if the Wiener is better than the Berliner. I have heard both under different conductors. Both produced beautiful music... but I got to say, last year in the Salzburg Festival, the Berliners under Rattle's direstion in Mozart's 25th, 40th and Sinfonia Concertante for violin and viola were mediocre at best. It was like they were on auto-pilot or something. the soloists were good though

    Sorry, maybe that was beside the point. But I feel in general, the Berliners have a more bombastic sound and a rougher (in a good way) sound, the Wieners are mellower and feel more lyrical. Both are superior orchestras.

  13. Likes Vaneyes liked this post
  14. #10
    Senior Member Tero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Vienna 99 symphony set
    http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=857407
    the Sibelius is the Bernstein slow versions which you can get separately. I did and got rid of. Too slow.

    Other nice works there though. 50 discs for 110 dollars.

  15. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amirjsi View Post
    It's a mute point trying to figure out if the Wiener is better than the Berliner. I have heard both under different conductors. Both produced beautiful music... but I got to say, last year in the Salzburg Festival, the Berliners under Rattle's direstion in Mozart's 25th, 40th and Sinfonia Concertante for violin and viola were mediocre at best. It was like they were on auto-pilot or something. the soloists were good though

    Sorry, maybe that was beside the point. But I feel in general, the Berliners have a more bombastic sound and a rougher (in a good way) sound, the Wieners are mellower and feel more lyrical. Both are superior orchestras.
    I don't think Rattle has done any good for the BPO. He was in over his head.

  16. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that the Vienna Philharmonic is the greatest orchestra in the world. There is simply no comparison or contest. No - not New York, not Chicago, not London, not even Berlin. Wiener Philharmoniker reigns supreme in the music world.
    Not even The Big D?

  17. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll agree on Rattle and BPO, anything outside the late-late-romanticism to contemporary repertoire that he does is pretty dull.
    Even Bruckner, a household specialty, became dull(not that Abbado was a great Bruckner conductor too).

    By the way, what is "The Big D", Dresden?

  18. Likes moody liked this post
  19. #14
    Senior Member Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Grovetown, GA (Augusta)
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurkikohtaus View Post
    Oh good lord I just noticed this should I reply or should I just keep my big Sibelian mouth shut what should I do I'm sweating shaking trembling I can barely breathe ok here goes:

    Among Sibelius afficionados, that cycle is considered THE most obscene one available. It is surprising based on Maazel's other fine recordings with Vienna that he would demand so many extreme dynamics and tempos and take so many liberties with this set. If this was the first thing I had ever heard from the Vienna Philharmonic, (which thankfully it isn't), I would probably never buy a Vienna Phil recording again.

    Otherwise a fine orchestra, and not just for Johann Strauss.

    For a discussion of good Sibelius cycles, you know where to go...
    Interesting. I went to your forum and got the impression there were many fans of the Maazel/VPO cycle.

    But as far as VPO goes, I have to admit that they are an orchestra which seems to have the ability to create "landmark" recordings. To whit: Brahms 4 with Kleiber; Bruckner 8 with HvK; Mozart 40 & 41 with Lenny; Death and Transfiguration with Previn; and Sibelius 1 and 5 with Maazel are among my most cherished recordings. BPO is certainly up there for me, but I think I'll side with Weltschmerz just because this group has worked so well with such a diverse group of conductors.

  20. #15
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    20,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In yesterday's New York Times and (kind of) relevant:

    Orchestra to Disclose Its Nazi Past -- "The complete reports of the historians are to be posted on the orchestra's Web site on March 12, the 75th anniversary of the Austrian Anschluss."

    http://tinyurl.com/a3qgopj


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •