View Poll Results: Who sang L'atra Notte best?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cabelle

    3 23.08%
  • Gheorghiu

    1 7.69%
  • Muzio

    6 46.15%
  • de los Angeles

    3 23.08%
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Who's the winner: "L'atra Notte Contest: Caballe', Gheorghiu, Muzio , d.l. Angeles

  1. #1
    Senior Member Seattleoperafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Who's the winner: "L'atra Notte Contest: Caballe', Gheorghiu, Muzio , d.l. Angeles

    You've been generous with my misspellings so far and must again: L'altra notte it should be.I'm confident in my spellings till it is etched in stone on the website LOL You should expect more in the future Thanks for making this a fun contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Seattleoperafan; Dec-05-2021 at 08:27.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I have no hesitation granting the palm to De Los Angeles in this particular contest. There is no striving for effect, no false histrionics, De Los Angeles simply becomes Margherita. Hers has always been one of my two favourite versions of this aria, the othe being Callas, whose quite unique accents haunt my imagination.

    There are also a couple of live versions with Callas in concert, but I seem to remember that she too slightliy overdoes the histrionics in performance. The 1954 studio recording would be my top chioce for the aria.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  3. Likes The Conte, Seattleoperafan, niknik and 2 others liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I voted for de Los Ángeles for this aria, so I will vote for her again.

  5. Likes Tsaraslondon liked this post
  6. #4
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    18,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gheorghiu's melodramatic signaling puts her out of the running. Muzio's lack of a trill is a minor deficit for me, but her expression, though apt, is a bit unvaried. Of the remaining very fine performances, I'm a little surprised, on returning to it, to find that it's Caballe's that best captures all the drama of the aria as it depicts the characters fluctuating emotions and the text's tragic imagery. Her voice's dark, reedy coloration is perfectly suited to the dark mood of the music, and moment by moment she responds to the text with apt shifts of vocal color and without resorting to overdrawn effects; even her diminuendo at the climax is not overdone as one might expect it to be (and the breath control is fabulous). On this hearing, at least, I don't find the lovely and touching performance of De los Angeles evocative to the same degree.

  7. Likes Tsaraslondon, Seattleoperafan, MAS liked this post
  8. #5
    Senior Member Seattleoperafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am pleased with the voting personally as it shows I was able to pick singers that appealed to a wide variety of tastes. I hope I can keep this up. Unlike the aria from Elektra, it is one most people can listen to over and over without getting worn out. I want to do the Immolation Scene but I think it is too long. Alas. I have some rather novel stuff this week with new to the contest contestants.
    Last edited by Seattleoperafan; Dec-06-2021 at 00:03.

  9. Likes MAS liked this post
  10. #6
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    18,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattleoperafan View Post
    I am pleased with the voting personally as it shows I was able to pick singers that appealed to a wide variety of tastes. I hope I can keep this up. Unlike the aria from Elektra, it is one most people can listen to over and over without getting worn out. I want to do the Immolation Scene but I think it is too long. Alas. I have some rather novel stuff this week with new to the contest contestants.
    Bonetan (I think) did the Immolation Scene with Leider, Flagstad and Traubel. I forget who took the gold.

  11. Likes Seattleoperafan, MAS liked this post
  12. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd be lying to choose any of the above.
    Not when I personally believe that Magda Olivero owns this aria and makes it her own.
    Yes, she's got that "Golden Age tremor" so many detest about her voice, but I have grown to love it simply because everything else is so damned in place, from her fine and secure high notes, to her trills, to her excellent chest tone to her stage stuff that some would maybe consider chewing the scenery (I don't), and finally to her intellect of how to perceive a character, which she can deliver straight from the bowels of her being.
    I am also in awe of the strength in her throat muscles which are incredibly strong, even for a lady in her 60's, as she easily beats out most others younger than she.
    Last edited by nina foresti; Dec-06-2021 at 16:51.

  13. Likes The Conte, Seattleoperafan, MAS liked this post
  14. #8
    Senior Member Seattleoperafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nina foresti View Post
    I'd be lying to choose any of the above.
    Not when I personally believe that Magda Olivero owns this aria and makes it her own.
    Yes, she's got that "Golden Age tremor" so many detest about her voice, but I have grown to love it simply because everything else is so damned in place, from her fine and secure high notes, to her trills, to her excellent chest tone to her stage stuff that some would maybe consider chewing the scenery (I don't), and finally to her intellect of how to perceive a character, which she can deliver straight from the bowels of her being.
    I am also in awe of the strength in her throat muscles which are incredibly strong, even for a lady in her 60's, as she easily beats out most others younger than she.
    Most voices develop a slow vibrato by their 60's, but her voice didn't really age. She is coming up soon in a contest.

  15. Likes The Conte liked this post
  16. #9
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    18,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattleoperafan View Post
    Most voices develop a slow vibrato by their 60's, but her voice didn't really age. She is coming up soon in a contest.
    Olivero's voice had such a rapid vibrato to begin with that a little age-induced slowing down didn't hurt a bit. By her 90s her vibrato was normal.

  17. Likes nina foresti, Seattleoperafan liked this post
  18. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Okay, so I am going to vote for the best of the 4 listed above.
    Much as I adore Muzio (a particular favorite singer of mine) I found her all wrong for this.
    Gheorghiu, who I also happen to think is a superb soprano with an unusual vulnerable quality to her voice when she stops chewing the scenery, was too busy faking despair. That left VDLA and Caballe and despite the lack of a strong chest tone at the end, I think Caballe came closest to my idea of Margherita.

  19. Likes MAS, Seattleoperafan, Woodduck liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •