Classical Music Forum banner

OPERA recordings you are considering...........................

21K views 163 replies 44 participants last post by  Pugg 
#1 ·
What recordings are you thinking about buying?
Or on your "to buy" list?

#39 · (Edited)
I am thinking of getting this one:

I already have the Abbado CD and DVD (two different performances) of this opera. The Abbado CD has Theresa Berganza and I really like her voice. The DVD had Frederica von Stade whose voice and acting are wonderful. But I also really like Cecilia Bartoli's vocals.

#47 · (Edited)
This unless there is a newer production:

[/IMG]
There is a newer production than the 1968 Heger EMI recording - a 1977 recording on Eurodisc/RCA under Wallberg that was available on CD in a couple of incarnations:

Photograph Hat Font Poster Art
Motor vehicle Font Poster Musical instrument Art

You should still be able to get hold of it without breaking the bank. It's a very good set, but as I have not heard the entire Heger/EMI recording, I can't comment on which is preferable. Roland Graeme in the Metropolitan Guide to Recorded Opera writes:

"If I had to pick only one recording of the opera to live with, it would have to be the EMI set, because of its all-round excellence; the Eurodisc is a viable alternative, however, and may be the first choice of collectors who are attracted to Popp, the uncut score, the best recorded sound, or all three."

There was also an excellent highlights disc from the opera on EMI, which featured Fritz Wunderlich as Lyonel:

Hat Font Publication Waist Pattern

While Lyonel is in safe hands with Gedda or Jerusalem, Wunderlich is simply incomparable, even if Peter Anders in this old version (a studio recording from 1944 in less than great sound) runs him very close:

Dress Plant Sleeve Flower Poster

In any case, it's a charming opera - you should give it a chance.

#70 ·
Organism Font Art Publication Event

I'm planning my first purchase for 2015 and it will definitely be Gounod's Faust. It will definitely be Andre Cluytens recording with the vivacious Victoria De Los Angeles and Nicolai Gedda on CD.

Lip Eyebrow Eyelash Lipstick Flash photography

I haven't decided on a visual companion yet but I'm open to suggestions.

#71 ·
View attachment 52700

I'm planning my first purchase for 2015 and it will definitely be Gounod's Faust. It will definitely be Andre Cluytens recording with the vivacious Victoria De Los Angeles and Nicolai Gedda on CD.

View attachment 52701

I haven't decided on a visual companion yet but I'm open to suggestions.
Excellent choice of recording. Still, by far and away, my favourite Faust.

#73 · (Edited)
I have changed my mind about Wagner's Dutchman. As an earlier Italianate opera, I feel it is not the best choice for a first Wagner opera for me.

I used to own the Goodall performance of Parsifal, but I donated it to the public library a number of years ago. While I liked it, I felt that German singers would appeal to me more (I am a native speaker). I believe I have narrowed my choice down to two versions:

1. Karajan : great sound, great price
2. Kubelik : I-think-I've-gone-to-Heaven sound, hellish price

Also worth mentioning:

Solti, but for about $2 more, I can have Kubelik.

#74 · (Edited)
I have changed my mind about Wagner's Dutchman. As an earlier Italianate opera, I feel it is not the best choice for a first Wagner opera for me.
I am dipping my toes in the Wagnerian sea by Die Meistersinger--the perfect Wagner opera for someone who is not ready for the full brunt of Wagner.

#76 ·
Meistersinger is fairly complex. Greg's suggestions are good ones. I started with Lohengrin myself.

#80 ·
Florestan,

Since you like Rossini and happy endings, may I suggest this. One of the greatest operas ever written.
This version is in Italian. The original French version is available as well. Libretto on dvd though.
I have both. AWESOME opera. 4 hours of perfection.

Reactions: Marschallin Blair
#106 ·
Yeah, I like to be able to hear the low parts without worrying about turning it down when the crescendo hits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.