Classical Music Forum banner

What is your favorite number from the Nutcracker?

Nutcracker Favorite

14K views 52 replies 30 participants last post by  valelediazr 
#1 ·
With Christmas just around the corner, thought it be fun to see what everyone's favorite number is.
I know I left some out because of the limitations of polls, but I think I have the most popular.
(no youtubes please, but pics ok)

#5 · (Edited)
While not a Tchaikovsky fan, I voted for Pine Forest in Winter, because it is the most 'symphonic,' theme or motif driven vs. the more directly folk-like melodies found in the rest of the score. I.e. it is the more abstract, and I also find it more in that vein of imparting something of the near triple-X rated quality of 'adult sensuality' which Tchaikovsky was also amazingly good at.

But hey, it is Christmas, and for many, believers in the faith or not, The Nutcracker was a very early musical theater experience, if not their prime introduction to classical orchestral music....

Here is the whole thing, beautifully done, great sets and dancing and music making and all:
St. Petersburg / Marinsky / Gergiev

Really, with the score being pretty much one hit tune after another, I would think many a choice of favorite would have as much to do with 'the whole thing,' i.e. libretto, scene, appearance, etc. -- likely impressed upon the individual in early childhood -- as much as the music itself.

#8 ·
The Final Waltz is my favorite, although I can’t think of one I don’t like. Normally by the end of a ballet, I’m ready to go but the finale of the Nutcracker keeps me completely entertained and wanting more! Coffee is my second but it depends on the performer. Maria Kowroski(NYC Ballet) danced this part on a PBS live broadcast a few years ago— visions of Maria dancing in my head. :devil:
I know it’s old and overplayed and cheesy but The Nutcracker is pure magic, in my mind, and just the thing to get one in the Christmas spirit. :)

#16 ·
Well, China is renowned for its tea and Arabia (along with neighbouring Yemen) was probably the first nation to produce coffee as we know it.

#12 ·
I love them all, but I voted for "Waltz of the Snowflakes". So pretty, so brilliant, and yet SO UNDERRATED. I DON'T GET IT.
(Please excuse my mini-rant.) Second place is a tie between Final Waltz, Mother Ginger, and Decorating the Tree (not on this poll).
But as I said, I love them all.

#15 ·
I've got a soft spot for the Dance of the Reed Pipes as it was used for an advertisement for one of my favourite chocolate bars when I was young. However, I probably like the exotica of the Spanish/Arabian/Chinese and Russian dances the most.

#46 · (Edited)
Could be because there's no celeste available? The score indicates a piano can be substituted. It's a heck of a difficult part, too.

I voted also for Pas de Deux. Amazing what Tchaikovsky's genius could do with nothing more than a descending major scale. I've conducted the entire ballet four times and in rehearsal and performance that movement is the highlight - it gets me every time.

#22 ·
The Grand Pas de Deux. It's just sublime and Tchaikovsky's best pas de deux. Gorgeous melodies starting with the harp arpeggios and then the cellos take over.

The mood of the GPDD is overtly and breathtakingly romantic which is a bit puzzling since there is no backstory of the Sugar Plum Fairy and her cavalier being in love. Marie and her Nutcracker prince are the love story, albeit a juvenile one. Maybe I'm biased towards the Balanchine production, but libretto-wise its a bit confusing.

#23 ·
Good point about the Sugar Plum Fairy. She's not in the Hoffmann tale; one reason the ballet opened to bad reviews in 1892 was the libretto's inconsistency with the original story.
That said, her entrance in the second act always gives me goose bumps. I love the way she takes complete control of the show as if to say "I'm here. Don't even THINK about watching anyone else." As the bona fide ruler of the Land of Sweets, why shouldn't she take a partner of her choice and entertain the happy couple? :) Works for me.
I have to take issue with your statement about Tchaikovsky's pas de deux's. I like Swan Lake's better, although they are both magnificent.

#25 ·
YEP, Waltz of the Snowflakes is beautiful! This Christmas I went to a performance that was not Balanchine, and was disappointed, but hopefully will be able to attend Miami City Ballet this Christmas and watch the Balachine Choreography. It is so beautiful, all of it! : )

#27 ·
I tried to vote for all of the sections but wasn't able to...

The whole thing is just wonderful to me.

#34 ·
Many characters appear onstage during a performance of The Nutcracker. The two-act story ballet is a popular holiday favorite. As the story begins, a young girl named Clara is hosting a holiday party with her family, including her brother Fritz. The strange Uncle Drosselmeyer, Clara's godfather, appears late and brings gifts for the children. He introduces entertainment for the guests that includes three windup dolls, including a ballerina doll, harlequin, and soldier doll. He then presents Clara with a toy nutcracker which Fritz promptly breaks during a fit of jealousy. Uncle Drosselmeyer magically repairs the doll to Clara'd delight.

During the night, Clara sets out to find her nutcracker under the Christmas tree. When she finds it, mice begin to fill the room and the Christmas tree begins to grow. The nutcracker magically grows to life size.

#36 ·
HAH! I was actually quite surprised that quite a few agreed with me on the Final Waltz, I thought I'd be the only one... that's good stuff, man! And it's not just about being less hackneyed than the rest, I really like how it feels! So triumphantly expansive!

That's tied in my book with the Scene in the Pine Forest and dance of the Snowflakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.