Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: The many varieties of Bach's Cello Suites

  1. #31
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    agree with this choice of Casals,his discovering the suites in an antique store in Barcelona and introducing them to the world somehow gives him something extra, if only one could get the Casals in the recording quality of the Rostropovich, and his recording near the end of his life fits in with my stage in life and somehow speaks to me, but my guilty pleasure is the double bass recording of the entire transposed cello suites by Paolo Pandolfo, his music you can almost taste and the richness of the double bass contrasts so much with the smoothness of the cello and I never can figure which instrunent I prefer, I guess it depends on the environmental mood you're in

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    1,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Only one musician can perform these for me!

    Steven Isserlis

    Beautiful, rich, and textured sound!

    Heaven!
    Last edited by Judith; Apr-27-2017 at 12:15.

  3. Likes Bettina liked this post
  4. #33
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I tested out quite a few different artists before purchasing Gendon, Founier, and Rost... But a bunch of others tempted me. I don't think I heard a bad rendition. I could easily go for them all. Now qanik has to go and mention Pandolfo,whom I haven't heard.

  5. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by userfume View Post
    Jean Guihen Queyras
    This set I want to buy, have it on loan from a friend, stunning.

  6. #35
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhoosierdude View Post
    I tested out quite a few different artists before purchasing Gendon, Founier, and Rost... But a bunch of others tempted me. I don't think I heard a bad rendition. I could easily go for them all. Now qanik has to go and mention Pandolfo,whom I haven't heard.
    Update. I have listened to most of the Pandolfo version. I forgot that one. I listened over either spotify or Amazon prime. I remember the musician with the instrument I hadn't heard of. It was well played but sounded like he was in another room. Didn't care for it for that reason.

  7. #36
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Heard first three parts of suite 1. Not a cello, sorry purists, but well played a nice , rich sound. It wont take the place of your favorite, but worth a listen and tempting price used. Edgar_Meyer_Bach.jpg

    I have room for another cd.
    Last edited by Oldhoosierdude; Apr-29-2017 at 04:50. Reason: Picture

  8. #37
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Has anyone purchased the remastered Fournier version just released on vinyl this year? I ask, for I've read that it may not be that much better than the original release.

  9. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeram1 View Post
    Has anyone purchased the remastered Fournier version just released on vinyl this year? I ask, for I've read that it may not be that much better than the original release.
    They must have something done right, otherwise not a very commercial move.

  10. #39
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Two recordings I particularly like at present are Richard Tunnicliffe and David Watkin, both on baroque cellos but with very different sounds. Many recordings draw me in, despite differences of speed, style, emphasis and so on. There are very few I've heard which don't work for me, but two I don't like are Rocco Filippini - overblown, somehow -, and Anne Gastinel, whose overuse of rubato irritates me.

  11. #40
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For me, nearly every version I've heard brings something interesting and unique, and I wouldn't want to pare down what I have. I am looking to add a digital version of the Starker, and noticed on Presto that the two are the Mercury & Sony. Can't tell much from listening online to snippets, but I know they are different sessions and also sound different (the Mercury sounding more distant and slightly less present, the Sony with higher output and sounding more present and maybe even brighter but still quite rich and resonant in the lower octaves. I wonder, Taneyev if you have explored both of these two versions, and if so, what you found. Or, perhaps you only have one of these two. The Mercury is the most common, as everyone seems to go for the 35mm Living Presence, both because it has street credit for its reputation, and possibly because people feel that session is the most technically perfect. I looked for a comparison of the two online, and nothing came up in a Google search. I am surprised that's true. Would have thought there should have been a comparison. Maybe there's such a comparison on this Forum, but I am a new member and this is only my second posting here. Anyway, since you are fan of the Starker version, I thought I'd ask where you stand on the Starker versions. Thanks in advance.

  12. #41
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasistha View Post
    For me, nearly every version I've heard brings something interesting and unique, and I wouldn't want to pare down what I have. I am looking to add a digital version of the Starker, and noticed on Presto that the two are the Mercury & Sony. Can't tell much from listening online to snippets, but I know they are different sessions and also sound different (the Mercury sounding more distant and slightly less present, the Sony with higher output and sounding more present and maybe even brighter but still quite rich and resonant in the lower octaves. I wonder, Taneyev if you have explored both of these two versions, and if so, what you found. Or, perhaps you only have one of these two. The Mercury is the most common, as everyone seems to go for the 35mm Living Presence, both because it has street credit for its reputation, and possibly because people feel that session is the most technically perfect. I looked for a comparison of the two online, and nothing came up in a Google search. I am surprised that's true. Would have thought there should have been a comparison. Maybe there's such a comparison on this Forum, but I am a new member and this is only my second posting here. Anyway, since you are fan of the Starker version, I thought I'd ask where you stand on the Starker versions. Thanks in advance.
    This is my favourite Starker set. I love it. Probably one of my favourites.

    bach starker.jpg

  13. #42
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    This is my favourite Starker set. I love it. Probably one of my favourites.

    bach starker.jpg
    Thanks mate! I ordered it
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  14. Likes Merl liked this post
  15. #43
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    Thanks mate! I ordered it
    You're worse tham me, Itullian.

  16. #44
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    This is my favourite Starker set. I love it. Probably one of my favourites.

    bach starker.jpg
    Although I don't really like any of Starker's Bach recordings very much, I think that this is the best of his four recordings. I've never understood the almost universal adoration of his Mercury recording. There are, I think, several dozen recordings that are preferable.

  17. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    Although I don't really like any of Starker's Bach recordings very much, I think that this is the best of his four recordings. I've never understood the almost universal adoration of his Mercury recording. There are, I think, several dozen recordings that are preferable.
    So you know the recording he made for Sefel in 1984? It is difficult to get hold of, and I have never heard it. Is it worth seeking out, when one has got all his other Bach recordings?

    BTW I agree, that there are several dozens of recordings preferable to Starker's.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 51
    Last Post: Mar-31-2020, 20:48
  2. Bach Cello Suites on the Double-Bass...
    By Giovannimusica in forum Strings
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar-02-2020, 05:20
  3. Bach Bruns Cello Suites
    By Ispin in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Dec-25-2019, 19:39
  4. Scores for the Six cello Suites: which one?
    By Beethovensheadphone in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec-30-2009, 05:38
  5. Favorite Cello Suites
    By Lukecash12 in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov-05-2009, 19:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •