Classical Music Forum banner

Berg on DVD and Blu-ray

13K views 53 replies 18 participants last post by  Yashin 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm watching this right now (as I type)

Oh boy. This twelve-tone system needs some getting used to.
I can't say I like it.
Does this make of me some sort of musical moron?
So far, to be frank, I find this to be a good play with ugly music in the background.
I have enjoyed other 20th century atonal works.
But I can't really wrap my mind around this music.
In what way can this be considered beautiful music? It's a bunch of disconnected shrieks.
Poooommmm piiiiiiiii paaaaaahhhhh eeeeeehhhhhhh uuuuuuuuuuu
I don't get it.
Maybe by the end of the third hour (3 hours 3 minutes of runtime) I'll get used to it. I hope.

Addendum - OK, I think it's getting better for me. My poor ears are starting to settle.
The intermezzo between scenes 2 and 3 is actually interesting and the odd music does add some weird but intriguing atmosphere to this somber drama. Maybe I'll end up liking this thing. I'm still reserving judgment, though.

Certainly Christine Schäfer is doing a fine job as Lulu.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm watching this right now (as I type)

Oh boy. This twelve-tone system needs some getting used to.
I can't say I like it.
Does this make of me some sort of musical moron?
So far, to be frank, I find this to be a good play with ugly music in the background.
I have enjoyed other 20th century atonal works.
But I can't really wrap my mind around this music.
In what way can this be considered beautiful music? It's a bunch of disconnected shrieks.
Poooommmm piiiiiiiii paaaaaahhhhh eeeeeehhhhhhh uuuuuuuuuuu
I don't get it.
Maybe by the end of the third hour (3 hours 3 minutes of runtime) I'll get used to it. I hope.

Addendum - OK, I think it's getting better for me. My poor ears are starting to settle.
The intermezzo between scenes 2 and 3 is actually interesting and the odd music does add some weird but intriguing atmosphere to this somber drama. Maybe I'll end up liking this thing. I'm still reserving judgment, though.

Certainly Christine Schafer is doing a fine job as Lulu.
Yeeeahhhh Wozzeck is easier. Way easier. I haven't heard Lulu yet, but I've definitely heard it's leaps and bounds ahead of Wozzeck in difficulty. Apparently still a great opera though.

Christine Schafer is brilliant... I heard her singing some Webern songs a while back and she made me fall in love with them. Seriously. She's brilliant!

#3 ·
Yep. She *is* Lulu. Perfect incarnation. She looks like the ultimate sociopath with a seductive calm, like nothing rattles her because she doesn't have a superego. And she is oddly attractive, to match this disturbing character. If she were prettier, it would somehow look fake, because one senses that Lulu is not exactly seductive because of good looks, but rather because she exudes depravity. But a woman less attractive than Schafer would also look fake. What an ideal casting! Pretty impressive work.

Her singing is excellent.

And yes, I can tell it's a powerful work. It's just a matter of getting used to the 12-tone system.

I'm starting to get that the point the orchestra is making is that the music does *not* try to be beautiful, since there is nothing beautiful in any of these characters. The music is as disturbing and evil as Lulu herself.

#4 · (Edited)
Oh well, the palindromic score during the silent movie *is* clever.
The mirror structure of the opera is in full swing.
I'm starting to get into this.
(Not to forget that in the silent movie we were treated to a side view of Christine Schäfer's boob:D)

#5 ·
Oh well, the palindromic score during the silent movie *is* clever.
The mirror structure of the opera is in full swing.
I'm starting to get into this.
(Not to forget that in the silent movie we were treated to a side view of Christine Shafer's boob:D)
I haven't been brave enough to buy Lulu but I've been getting my ears used to it by watching bits on YouTube. Seemed a bit shrieky and undifferentiated to me and I was worried about sitting though three hours of it. I think I'll take World Violist's advice and try Wozzek next - but just YouTube to start with.

#7 ·
In what way can this be considered beautiful music?
It's rather not kind of music that you turn on and instinctively, without any context find it beautiful, like you do with Verdi and likes. Instead of thinking about 12-tone things and stuff simply try to focus on it's expressive aspects, try to put music and words, events, feelings together. That's the way to understand it IMO. To all that came to you automatically in more accessible operas just because you gave it more or less attention here you must explore with all your perceptual senses, both emotional and intellectual.

#12 · (Edited)

I borrowed this version from the library rather than buying it because I thought I wouldn't be able to cope with music. How wrong I was! This music is fantastic, luscious, disturbing and exciting at the same time. The story is pretty shocking but rich in interpretative possibilities - is Lulu a victim or a predator or both? Agneta Eichenholz leans towards playing her as the detached victim of repulsive men, but her performance is compelling and ever-present. The production is the most minimalist I have ever seen - to the point where there is literally nothing on the stage and the costumes are generic business suits and LBDs (Little Black Dresses). The advantage of that is that the actors have to give their all to carry the action, and here they do (great to see Philip Langridge in what must have been one of his last roles).

#15 ·

The production is the most minimalist I have ever seen - to the point where there is literally nothing on the stage and the costumes are generic business suits and LBDs (Little Black Dresses).
Doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. I mean, why buy an opera DVD if you end up looking at a concertante performance? I think I will order this one instead.

It's been on my wishlist for months, but your enthusiasm for it and the enthusiasm of others for this opera is most encouraging.

#13 ·
Yes, I was shocked with the music at first, then I thought it was OK, then I liked it, and finally I loved it. Lulu is definitely both a predator and a victim. Excellent opera! I like it better than Wozzeck.

#19 ·
Gaston, Lulu is not inaccessible at all. When you read about it they talk about serialism etc, but I was really not aware of this because there are some lush late Romantic moments and the orchestration is always gorgeous.

I would feel hesitant about recommending my version, but it did not feel like a concert version because it was well acted, and there was plenty of blood:D.

I am also reluctant to get the Schäfer version because she was such a blank Gilda that I can't imagine her having the subtlety to portray Lulu.

#20 ·
I would feel hesitant about recommending my version, but it did not feel like a concert version because it was well acted, and there was plenty of blood:D.
At least that's something. :lol:

I am also reluctant to get the Schäfer version because she was such a blank Gilda that I can't imagine her having the subtlety to portray Lulu.
Yeah, she's also in a Hansel and Gretel on Met player that I find just grotesque.

#22 ·
Hi!

I think I know Wozzeck and Lulu since I was 17...I am 59...you can count.

I have 5 CD versions of Lulu and 4 of Wozzeck.

3 LULU DVDs and 3 WOZZECK's

Teresa Stratas-Boulez and Evelyn Lear are the worst. Why? Teresa doesn't understand the role and Boulez always play "too personal"...he's a French braggart...Evelyn Lear is out of the blue...she dies before the opera starts!

The best Lulu is Christina Schafer.,,,but just on DVD. I have a program and I made 3 CDs from that...Anja Silja is very good too...about the Danish version, I don't know it.

Wozzeck, the reference version and the one I like the most on CD is Dmitri Mitropoulos
http://www.amazon.com/Berg-Wozzeck-...r_1_13?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1293046393&sr=1-13

For the DVD, there is new production by Calixto Bieito
http://www.amazon.com/Berg-Wozzeck-...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1293046480&sr=1-1

For a beautiful and more standard version, the Abbado seems to be unbeatable:

http://www.amazon.com/Berg-Wozzeck-...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1293046543&sr=1-1

Martin, very Bergian

#25 ·
Even though Schafer's Lulu is the first (and only) that I've heard/seen, she still sold it for me. She did seem a bit impersonal, but that's just part of the role. She's very playful and innocent about it, and isn't very much affected by anything unless it's directed at her (i.e. being forced into prostitution).

I intend to hear more Lulu's (first on my list is actually the Stratas/Boulez CD; I've begun to move away from DVDs), this is just my impression of Schafer's.

#26 ·
If Lulu is that great, I consider buying tickets to it as my local opera is staging it in March. My only experience with Alban Berg is through his piano output and the violin concerto. How violent is really this work, and how accessible to people who mostly like verismo operas and the more usual Three Tenors-stuff? I was thinking of taking my mother with me, as my birthday present to her :)

#29 ·
I would definitely check it out on YouTube before making any decisions. I don't think I would have found the music so accessible before hearing quite a lot of other 20th century stuff. The story is pretty depressing, men and women exploiting each other mercilessly, and a couple of murders. Jack the Ripper is one of the characters.

#31 ·
Many aspects before going

PHP:
If Lulu is that great, I consider buying tickets to it as my local opera is staging it in March. My only experience with Alban Berg is through his piano output and the violin concerto. How violent is really this work, and how accessible to people who mostly like verismo operas and the more usual Three Tenors-stuff? I was thinking of taking my mother with me, as my birthday present to her
Lulu is great! But is a question of taste.
1) Have you seen Wozzeck, if not...try this before
2) do you like dodecaphonic music? Lulu is entirely dodecaphonic...if you don't good luck.

Martin

#33 ·
For me Schäfer is the model. I love her, she's the perfect Lulu...she is so naturally perverted (as the the Wedekind two plays). She's wonderful...she plays the victim but she causes all the troubles, she killed Dr Schön like (I had no choice)...She's charming, beautiful, sexy...she's the devil!

Wonderful version. I am not a connoisseur, just a human been who loves Alban Berg.

Martin

#34 ·
Ah Berg's Lulu on audio CD's/MP3 file
Here are my favorites, each for different reasons

Chandos Saffer/Daniel... This performance is electric... Richard Stokes cheeky English translation made Berg's Lulu a
real page turner, from start to the harrowing finish... It's on my iPod...

Met Broadcast MP3 Petersen/Luisi... (attended the Met's 08 May 2010 Lulu... Awesome!!!)

DGG Stratas/Boulez... Stratas and the first rate cast

EMI Tate/Patricia Wise... with this recording I heard things in the score that Boulez only hinted at... beauty.

RCA/Migenes/Maazel... Maazel... another surprise, Berg's music became liquid gold, with notes coming out of nowhere, like fireflies in the night...

DVD/Blu Ray...

Enichenholz/Pappano ROH Blu-Ray... this production is a knockout... sight and sound... in a word... stunning

Met Opera Broadcast Migenes/Levine (1980) DVD... the attention Levine gives to the music. Dexter's detailed production, staging, and the stellar cast... only thing missing, Teresa Stratus and the silent film...

Schafer/Davis/Glyndebourne (2004) DVD ... a solid production

Stratas/Boulez/Chereau Paris (1979) (Japanese DVD NTSC) suffers from poor recording quality, i believe this DVD/video was used to document the premiere of the three-act version, and not intended for commercial release... it's still fascinating to watch Teresa Stratus do her magic as Lulu.

#48 · (Edited)
Just Arrived by Post... Alban Berg - Lulu/Petibon/Salzburger Festspiele

Ah Berg's Lulu on audio CD's/MP3 file
Here are my favorites, each for different reasons

Chandos Saffer/Daniel... This performance is electric... Richard Stokes cheeky English translation made Berg's Lulu a
real page turner, from start to the harrowing finish... It's on my iPod...

Met Broadcast MP3 Petersen/Luisi... (attended the Met's 08 May 2010 Lulu... Awesome!!!)

DGG Stratas/Boulez... Stratas and the first rate cast

EMI Tate/Patricia Wise... with this recording I heard things in the score that Boulez only hinted at... beauty.

RCA/Migenes/Maazel... Maazel... another surprise, Berg's music became liquid gold, with notes coming out of nowhere, like fireflies in the night...

DVD/Blu Ray...

Enichenholz/Pappano ROH Blu-Ray... this production is a knockout... sight and sound... in a word... stunning

Met Opera Broadcast Migenes/Levine (1980) DVD... the attention Levine gives to the music. Dexter's detailed production, staging, and the stellar cast... only thing missing, Teresa Stratus and the silent film...

Schafer/Davis/Glyndebourne (2004) DVD ... a solid production

Stratas/Boulez/Chereau Paris (1979) (Japanese DVD NTSC) suffers from poor recording quality, i believe this DVD/video was used to document the premiere of the three-act version, and not intended for commercial release... it's still fascinating to watch Teresa Stratus do her magic as Lulu.
Just arrived by post... Alban Berg - Lulu

Sleeve Publication Font Blazer Poster

Lulu - Alban Berg - Blu-ray DVD - Salzburger Festspiele (2010) Starring Patricia Petibon, Michael Volle and Wiener Philharmoniker (2012)

#35 ·
The Lulu DVD from Glynderbourne is just perfect, one of the best stagings I've ever watched.

This other one:

I watched it live in the theather (in Madrid, not in London), and is really poor. To start with, the action is unfathomable for someone not knowing his Lulu well, already. The 'silent movie' is important, it was carefully inserted by Berg (who, by the way, was very incensed about stagings, of Wozzeck I mean, not following his performance notes) and the end, with the Countess remaining alive... The production was jeered at by the audience.

Great work by Agneta Eichenholz, though.

#36 ·
I have a good library of both Wozzeck and Lulu from Berg. In terms of cd I prefer the Wozzeck with Silja and Waechter. For Lulu I don't have an outright winner but I must admit I really like the version with Anat Efraty conducted by Stefan Anton Reck. This is a live production and catches the real fire of the opera. For DVD I would stick with Schafer at Glyndebourne with a terrific Wolfgang schone. Stunning singing and production. Second, I would opt for Lauren Aitken in the Zurich production with Alfred Muff. As for Wozzeck there is a toss up between the claustrophobic production with Dale duesing as Wozzeck or my 1st choice would be the Barenboim production from Paris with Grundheber and Meier with Graham Clarke as the captain.

#37 ·
I must admit I am an admirer of the English language series from Chandos but I have found both the Wozzeck and Lulu to be too Prozaic and very strange to listen too. Hence I decided not to buy them which is a shame as I was really looking forward to them. Same for the Katya Kabanova, another huge disappointment.

#46 ·
I love Lulu, I don't find it difficult...I think that ears can be "educated"...try harder...Incredibly, I started liking even Ernst Krenek! Tutto è possibile except that I don't like Verdi...and this isn't going to change...Alas!

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.