Classical Music Forum banner

Project: list of recommended DVD/blu-ray versions for our Top 100 operas

205K views 2K replies 30 participants last post by  Moscow-Mahler 
#1 · (Edited)
You know what, folks? I think we should do the list of recommended DVDs/blu-rays to go along with our top 100 recommended operas, as per the extensive discussions in the "Most authoritative" thread.

The best way to do it is to get less ambitious. No need for "most authoritative" or "wide consensus."

Let's not do polls because they require one thread per opera. This would flood this sub-forum.

Let's not worry about percentages, consensus, or whether an opera has several versions on video or just one (I mean, let's not worry about it while voting, because as you'll see, I'll report these findings in the final result).

Let's just consider what we recommend the most for each opera. Some of these will be consensual, some will not. Some will be very diluted, some will not. That's OK. We'll just do what we can.

To simplify even more the process, I'd say that each person should nominate ONE version for each opera. The nomination is already the vote. If a subsequent user agrees that the previous user's nomination is indeed the best version, just say "I second the nomination of ..... (name of the version)." If you have a different version that in your opinion is better, then, nominate it, instead of endorsing one that has already been nominated.

So, we go one by one down our top 100 list, and we give ourselves 48 hours for each opera to collect the nominations/votes (since not all members log in every day). At the end of 48 hours, we simply count the nominations and endorsements, and the version with the most votes wins. In case of tie, we do a 24-hour tie-breaker.

I volunteer to count the votes, report the results, and organize the process/keep track of the 48/24 hrs periods.

I intend to report the result like this:

# of the opera in our top 100 list - name of the most voted version (opera house, year, conductor) and how many votes it has gathered - number of nominated versions - approximate number of available versions. This complete result will give to someone consulting the list a notion of how valid or how consensual (or not) the winner was.

Examples (hypothetical):

# 7 The Marriage of Papageno - Baghdad Green Zone Opera 2007 - conducted by George W. Bush - 4 votes among 8 voters (50%) who picked among 3 nominees out of 5 existing versions.

# 8 La Rondine Ladra - North Pole Opera 1998 - conducted by Santa Claus - 2 votes among 10 voters (20% - tied with another version, winner of tie breaker) who picked among 8 nominees out of 9 existing versions.

# 9 Die Meistersingers von England Got Talent - Pyongyang Opera House 2001 - conducted by Kim Jong-il - 1 vote by 1 voter who nominated the only existing version

#10 L'Incoronazione di Netrebko - Cool **** Opera House 2010 - conducted by Almaviva - 12 votes among 15 voters (80%) who picked among 4 nominees out of 4 existing versions.

So you have above opera # 7 with average consensus, # 8 with low consensus, # 9 with very low or nonexistent consensus, and # 10 with high consensus.

Therefore someone looking to buy these operas on video will be highly confident about the winning version of opera #10, fairly confident about the winner for opera number 7, may want to explore more and screen more carefully the various versions of opera number 8, and will have to be content with the only existing version of opera number 9 in case the person really wants to own a video version of it, although chances are it's pretty weak since only one member nominated it in spite of it having no competition.

If an opera doesn't have a video version this will be spelled out, and a CD version will be recommended instead.

If an opera has video versions but they are all bad and nobody wants to nominate any of them, this will be spelled out as well, and a CD version will be recommended instead.

Fair enough? I think this is an easy way to do it, and the final report will reflect the relative confidence we'll have with the results. An opera like La Bohème with dozens of versions will be lucky to have one single version with more than one voter/endorser, but maybe a couple of versions will have more than one and we'll tie-break them if necessary. If we can't break a tie (say, there's a 10-way tie of 10 different versions, each nominated by a different member), we should designate someone our official ultimate tie-breaker. I'd invite Herkku to assume this role, because I believe he is the member here who has seen the most different versions of most operas.

An opera like L'Amour de Loin has only one version but it is a pretty good one so it may gather strong endorsement. People will see that it's only one nominee out of one version but it got endorsed by many. An opera like Giulio Cesare has a handful of versions but there is one that I expect will win most if not all endorsements.

One word about nominations/endorsements: you should only nominate or endorse a version that you consider to be very good and worth buying, and hopefully better than other versions you know. If you know only one version of a given opera but it fulfills these conditions - you find it to be very good and worth buying - then do go ahead and nominate it. However if, say, there is only one version of an opera and you don't like it at all, don't nominate it just because it's the only one available. In that case, we'll spell out that nobody felt comfortable nominating the one version available, and once the 48 hours are over, we'll open nominations of CD versions for that opera. If an opera has several versions but you only know one version of it - and you don't like that version at all, then again, don't nominate it just because it's the one you know.

I'm insisting on this because to make the process simple, I'm thinking of a nomination *that is also a vote* so that we don't need to do it twice. 2 days for each of 100 operas make already 200 days so the process will only end seven months from now (not counting tie-breakers that may extend it even more). I don't want to make it 400 days. That's why nobody should nominate something just for the sake of getting another version in, if the person doesn't really endorse that version and doesn't think it is worth buying it. Similarly, if your preferred version has been nominated already, don't add another one, just endorse the one you prefer.

To make it fun, don't hesitate to give reasons for your nominations/endorsements in your post, or to paste pictures of the cover, more info about the version, etc.

To make it easy on me, do take the trouble of mentioning, together with your nomination, the opera house, the conductor, and the year of the production. But if you don't know these details, as long as you can indicate with no ambiguity what version you're talking about, I'll take it from there and will complete the details for you. And if you happen to know with absolute certainty how many versions exist of a given opera, do let me know (in the absence of someone affirming that he or she knows for sure how many versions are available, I'll try to look up the answer in a pool of commercial sites - amazon.com, etc). These sites may not *list* all available versions or some may be out of print - that's why I said I'll mention the *approximate* number of versions.

Any concerns or suggestions?

If not, let's play?

Our number 1 opera is Der Ring des Nibelungen.

I nominate the 1991 Bayreuther Festspiele version conducted by Barenboim.

Other nominations for versions of Der Ring des Nibelungen (or endorsements of this version, or any subsequently nominated version) are open for 48 hours. The day after tomorrow at approximately 9 PM ET, I'll be posting the results of the nominations/endorsements for the Ring.

See less See more
Reactions: jhar26
#2 · (Edited)
Our number 1 opera is Der Ring des Nibelungen.

I nominate the 1991 Bayreuther Festspiele version conducted by Barenboim.

I second this nomination. I have 4 versions and have also seen the Levine one on Met Player

The Barenboim is musically very fine, and the conducting is outstanding. The staging is clearly post-Chereau but is clear and makes great use of the "endless stage", the cast is very good and I think it's the most satisfying version overall.

My personal favourite is the 2008 Copenhagen version but it's too "out there" and heretical to recommend.

The 1990 Metropolitan Levine version provides a good introduction to people who have never seen the Ring but it is pretty stodgy and I strongly dislike the singing of Behrens and the performance of Jerusalem here (he was great in the Barenboim version).

The 1976 Chereau/Boulez version was ground-breaking in its day and is still recommendable, but the Industrial revolution theme is a bit wearying and I think the Barenboim cast is better.

The 2010 Valencia Ring under Zubin Mehta has plenty of visual pyrotechnics but few vocal ones. Lance Ryan is too tense and Jennifer Wilson, while vocally very fine, looks appalling.

PS, Alma. love your examples:lol::tiphat:

#10 · (Edited)
About existing versions: I'll be able to provide the exact number after all, by consulting databases such as operadis and ODB-Opera.

It's complicated for the Ring since it is listed individually for each component and some of the components have independent versions that are not part of a full cycle (and we do know there are 7 complete cycles out there) so I'll not bother with providing this info for the Ring, but starting with number 2, when I start the new vote I'll include the list of available versions for each opera.

Every time I start a new nomination/endorsement 48-hour period for an opera, I will repeat in bold these paragraphs below, so that newcommers keep the same focus/parameters:

GROUND RULES FOR THIS THREAD

This thread intends to be a helpful reference for people who may want to buy or see video versions of our Top 100 Recommended operas or are interested in expanding or starting their video opera collection. It doesn't intend to establish a list of "best" versions but merely indicates that some or many of our members *recommend* that version. The organizer - Almaviva - will be starting each opera's nomination process, end it, count votes, report results, call up tie breakers, etc.

Each person willing to participate of the process should nominate ONE version for each opera (as we go down the list), and will have a 48-hour window to do so. The nomination is already the vote. If a subsequent user agrees that a previously nominated DVD/blu-ray is indeed the best version, just say "I second the nomination of ..... (name of the version)." If you have a different version in mind that in your opinion is better, then, by all means nominate it, instead of endorsing one that has already been nominated.

But you should only nominate or endorse a version that you consider to be very good and worth buying, and hopefully better than other versions you know (MORE ON THIS AT THE END OF THESE RULES). If you know only one video version of a given opera but it fulfills these conditions - you find it to be very good and worth buying - then do go ahead and nominate it. However if, say, there is only one video version of an opera in the market and you don't like it at all (meaning, the merits or demerits of the video itself such as staging, directing, acting, singing, image definition, sound definition - not the opera itself; the quality of these operas has already been established in our Top 100 thread), don't nominate it just because it's the only one available. In that case, we'll spell out that nobody felt comfortable nominating the one version available, and once the 48 hours are over, we'll open nominations of CD versions for that opera. If an opera has several versions but you only know one version of it - and you don't like that version at all, then again, don't nominate it just because it's the one you know.

We are insisting on this because to make the process simple, we are talking about a nomination *that is also a vote* so that we don't need to do it twice. Two days for each of 100 operas make already 200 days so the process will only end seven months from its start (not counting tie-breakers or CD nominations that may extend it even more). We don't want to make it 400 days. That's why nobody should nominate something just for the sake of getting another version in, unless the person really endorses that version above previously nominated ones and thinks it is worth buying.

To make it fun, don't hesitate to give reasons for your nominations/endorsements in your posts, and/or to paste pictures of the cover, give more info about the version such as talking about the singers, the conductor, the video quality, etc.

You can talk about several versions of the same opera if you know several of them, but make sure you nominate or endorse just one version, and please make clear in your post that you are actually nominating or endorsing something, not merely commenting upon it, because a non-endorsement is also an important piece of information that will allow us to move on to a CD version if our membership corps doesn't recommend any of the existing video versions for a given opera.

What should be the threshold for nominating something, versus letting it out and leaving it to the CD phase if necessary? It's a simple, common sense litmus test: would you buy this version (or buy it again if you have it already but lost it)? But in addition to this, do you think it is good enough that you would attach your name and your reputation to it by recommending it to a good friend? You may think you'd have to buy it if there was no better competition and you were adamant about owning a video version of an opera you like in spite of finding the DVD/blu-ray very weak, but would you actually also recommend it? If you can say yes to both these questions then it's worse nominating it or endorsing it. If one or both of the answers is no, then leave it out. Remember that you only have ONE shot at nominating or endorsing a version, even if you think that several versions are worth buying and recommendable. Do make up your mind and pick one! But you can still talk about other versions if you want.

In case of a tie, there will be a 24-hour tie-breaker. If the tie persists, Almaviva the organizer will ask a knowledgeable member to cast a decisive vote.

Thanks for your participation, and have fun!

#12 ·
You sure can. That's why in my examples I have quoted hypothetical operas with 15 voters and others with fewer voters (down to one in one case). Some more popular operas with multiple versions may draw many voters while more obscure ones may not have been seen by too many so people won't feel qualified to vote.

Of course I forgot to mention that anybody missing rounds must send me a box of chocolate, preferably dark, with at least 70% of cocoa content.:D

#15 ·
Yes, we have started. Your vote is the fourth one for our first opera, the Ring.
So far we have Bayreuth/Barenboim with 2 votes, Copenhagen with 1, and Met/Levine with 1.

#17 ·
My vote goes to the Levine Ring. I don't think it's perfect. In fact, I only really love Das Rheingold here. It's just that I can't imagine myself enjoying a non-traditional staging of the ring.

#19 ·
Since the primary goal of this project is recommending DVD's to people, maybe it would be a good idea to take into account that opera lovers can to some degree be split into two groups: The traditionalists and the modernists. So maybe it would be a good idea to recommend (when possible) two versions for each opera - one traditional and one updated. Might get too complicated though, I admit.

#20 ·
Or I can just quote the runner-up. If two updated productions beat a traditional production, though, I'm not sure if it's still worth quoting the traditional one (or vice-versa). Since we don't have lots of voters, a third place is likely to gather a very low number of votes.

#22 ·
Yes, of someone asked me for a Ring recommendation I'd say: if you only like traditional productions go for Levine, if you want a musically rewarding updated version that is still quite conservative, choose Barenboim, and if you want your socks blown off and your eyes to pop out of their sockets get the Copenhagen.

#24 ·
I think I'd prefer my eyes to stay put in their sockets. I need them in order to watch more opera.:eek:

All right, all right, I think I'll report the complete result for all operas, quoting every version that got a vote, and I may even include a line like the one you just mentioned, Nalatlie.

But what worries me more is the low number of votes. I can't believe our Wagnerites are not checking in. A Ring recommendation based on only 5 votes is kind of lame (even though we, the voters, are really nice and knowledgeable folks, hehehe). ;)

Should we extend the vote another 24 hours? It will be over in 6 hours if we don't...:(

#26 ·
I guess I am a wagnerite, im also a DVD noob :(

I like the Copenhagen, but as the point here is to recommend for beginners perhaps I will vote for Barenboim.

I would also like to draw your attention to my 'local ring':

Ive only seen half of it. Quite an interesting concept - they rebuilt the stage so it would come out into the audience and placed the orchestra center stage so the music would play a more central role.

#30 · (Edited)
In a quest to increase the number of votes, I have extensively searched the site for unequivocal statements from members about their preferred DVD version of the Ring. Numerous threads address the Ring, and at one point I stopped going back because these threads were too old to take into account the Valencia and the Copenhagen Rings, which are the new kids in the block.

What I found out is that people have talked about the Ring a lot, but almost nobody took a firm stance of mentioning unequivocally what DVD version they prefer (many did mention preferred CD sets), except for two members (well, also except for some other members, but these have already voted here).

One is Dark Angel, who posted a few times that he preferred the Boulez DVD, but then he watched the Barenboim DVD and found it to be superior. Rather definitive statements in this sense were made by him in one of the recent Ring threads, so, I guess, if nobody objects, that if he doesn't show up by 9PM, we might take his statements as a vote. Or not. This is kind of cheating, in a sense.

Another member, Scytheavatar, was even more unequivocal. He gave scores out of ten to five of the versions; did say on his post that these were the ones he knew; and in this case, it is pretty clear that the one he rated highest is his preferred version (it's not only clear from the rating, but also from the paragraph he wrote to justify his rating). That one was the Mehta/Valencia Ring, which he rated 8.5 out of 10, with the Barenboim being a close second at 8 out of 10. The Schonwandt was a 6.5, the Levine a 6, and the Boulez a 3.

Both members said in their statements that they were considering both the musical performance and the staging while expressing their preferences (I did not take into account the statements of some other members who said things like "musically this one is the best one" etc). What do you guys think about taking these two "votes" into account?

Reactions: Saqib
#31 ·
One is Dark Angel, who posted a few times that he preferred the Boulez DVD, but then he watched the Barenboim DVD and found it to be superior. Rather definitive statements in this sense were made by him in one of the recent Ring threads, so, I guess, if nobody objects, that if he doesn't show up by 9PM, we might take his statements as a vote. Or not. This is kind of cheating, in a sense.
Yes I will give the current top position to Barenboim DVD Ring......

Tasteful modern abstraction for production, high quaility singers and orchestral music all at high level.

My hopes of future modern blu ray reference seem to be ever more elusive after sad spectacles like the Wagner circus they call the LA Ring :lol:

#35 · (Edited)
# 1 Der Ring des Nibelungen
Most Recommended Version:
1992 Barenboim - Bayreuther Festpiele
Picked by 4 out of 8 voters (50%) among 4 nominated versions out of 7 existing versions.

Runner-up:
1990 Levine - Metropolitan Opera House, picked by 2 out of 8 voters (25%)

#36 ·
Voting is now open for opera # 2, Tristan und Isolde.

Reminder of ground rules:

This thread intends to be a helpful reference for people who may want to buy or see video versions of our Top 100 Recommended operas or are interested in expanding or starting their video opera collection. It doesn't intend to establish a list of "best" versions but merely indicates that some or many of our members *recommend* that version. The organizer - Almaviva - will be starting each opera's nomination process, end it, count votes, report results, call up tie breakers, etc.

Each person willing to participate of the process should nominate ONE version for each opera (as we go down the list), and will have a 48-hour window to do so. The nomination is already the vote. If a subsequent user agrees that a previously nominated DVD/blu-ray is indeed the best version, just say "I second the nomination of ..... (name of the version)." If you have a different version in mind that in your opinion is better, then, by all means nominate it, instead of endorsing one that has already been nominated.

But you should only nominate or endorse a version that you consider to be very good and worth buying, and hopefully better than other versions you know (MORE ON THIS AT THE END OF THESE RULES). If you know only one video version of a given opera but it fulfills these conditions - you find it to be very good and worth buying - then do go ahead and nominate it. However if, say, there is only one video version of an opera in the market and you don't like it at all (meaning, the merits or demerits of the video itself such as staging, directing, acting, singing, image definition, sound definition - not the opera itself; the quality of these operas has already been established in our Top 100 thread), don't nominate it just because it's the only one available. In that case, we'll spell out that nobody felt comfortable nominating the one version available, and once the 48 hours are over, we'll open nominations of CD versions for that opera. If an opera has several versions but you only know one version of it - and you don't like that version at all, then again, don't nominate it just because it's the one you know.

We are insisting on this because to make the process simple, we are talking about a nomination *that is also a vote* so that we don't need to do it twice. Two days for each of 100 operas make already 200 days so the process will only end seven months from its start (not counting tie-breakers or CD nominations that may extend it even more). We don't want to make it 400 days. That's why nobody should nominate something just for the sake of getting another version in, unless the person really endorses that version above previously nominated ones and thinks it is worth buying.

To make it fun, don't hesitate to give reasons for your nominations/endorsements in your posts, and/or to paste pictures of the cover, give more info about the version such as talking about the singers, the conductor, the video quality, etc.

You can talk about several versions of the same opera if you know several of them, but make sure you nominate or endorse just one version, and please make clear in your post that you are actually nominating or endorsing something, not merely commenting upon it, because a non-endorsement is also an important piece of information that will allow us to move on to a CD version if our membership corps doesn't recommend any of the existing video versions for a given opera.

What should be the threshold for nominating something, versus letting it out and leaving it to the CD phase if necessary? It's a simple, common sense litmus test: would you buy this version (or buy it again if you have it already but lost it)? But in addition to this, do you think it is good enough that you would attach your name and your reputation to it by recommending it to a good friend? You may think you'd have to buy it if there was no better competition and you were adamant about owning a video version of an opera you like in spite of finding the DVD/blu-ray very weak, but would you actually also recommend it? If you can say yes to both these questions then it's worse nominating it or endorsing it. If one or both of the answers is no, then leave it out. Remember that you only have ONE shot at nominating or endorsing a version, even if you think that several versions are worth buying and recommendable. Do make up your mind and pick one! But you can still talk about other versions if you want.

In case of a tie, there will be a 24-hour tie-breaker. If the tie persists, Almaviva the organizer will ask a knowledgeable member to cast a decisive vote.

Thanks for your participation, and have fun!

-----------

Tristan und Isolde video versions:

2007 Berg - Anhaltische Philharmonie Dessau
2007 Barenboim - Teatro alla Scala
2007 Belohlavek - Glyndebourne / London Philharmonic Orchestra
2005 Jordan - Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
2004 Billy - Gran Teatro del Liceo
1999 Levine - Metropolitan Opera
1998 Mehta - Bayerische Staatsoper
1995 Barenboim - Bayreuth Festival
1993 Kout - Deutsche Oper Berlin
1989 Schenider - Gran Teatro del Liceo
1985 Janowski - L'Opéra Nationale de Paris
1985 Cambreling - Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie
1983 Barenboim - Bayreuth Festival
1976 Decker - Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal
1973 Böhm - Orchestre Nationale de l'ORTF
1970 Vandernoot - Orchestre Symphonique de la R.T.B.F.
1967 Boulez - NHK Symphony Orchestra
--------

I nominate the 2007 Belohlavek Glyndebourne version, with effective minimalistic staging, spectacular singing/acting by Nina Stemme, Robert Gambill, and Rene Pape:

#37 ·
I nominate the 2007 Belohlavek Glyndebourne version, with effective minimalistic staging, spectacular singing/acting by Nina Stemme, Robert Gambill, and Rene Pape:

I second this nomination. Not perfect, but good enough to recommend, and I find the staging helps to focus on the psychological development. Nina Stemme is awesome. There's a good interview too.

#42 ·
If we were using a system of proportional representation then the Barenboim 95 would be the 2nd choice. I have to admit I didn't like the La Scala Tristan production.

I also suppose for completists we should include on the list the recent Bayreuth Tristan that Irene Theorin and Robert Dean Smith did. Although I have not seen it but by all accounts I am not missing much.

#43 ·
I think Barenboims understanding of the work has only grown since then - even conducting without a score :eek:

Of course Meier is fantastic here.

#49 ·
Only 2 votes for the Levine/Schenk ring, that's most disappointing. Maybe we should try the good old keep voting until you like the result method. Where are the traditionalists when you need them?

Quite seriously, do we have to close the polls after 48 hours? Couldn't we just leave them open until everything is finished up, adding a new opera every 48 hours. Maybe more people will stroll by, given enough time.

As for Tristan and Isolde, I'm going to abstain on this one (don't have a DVD of this yet, and in fact finding some purchasable for the traditionalist is not at all easy).

#50 · (Edited)
I quite like the Levine/Schenk Ring, to tell you the truth. It does have its downsides though, the biggest one being Behrens' singing. It did place second, it's honorable place. Silver medal.

Keeping the polls open until everything is finished up pushes the end result to 7-8 months ahead. I'm afraid that my tolerance to frustration and my attention span are not enough to start something and only see concrete results in 7-8 months. Like I said, I think the older I get, the less attention span I have. There is something to be said for closing up, counting, posting results, and then moving on to the next one. It provides a sense of finality, we can comment upon the result - like you just did - which increases the fun.

We need to understand that we are a small group. For the top 100 itself, not a lot more than 10 to 15 people have participated of each step, and the number went down as we moved away from the most popular operas. For this project, it takes people who have seen at least one video version of each opera. Many who voted for the top 100 project have listened to these operas on vinyl, CD, etc, and don't even know a video version, so, I think that about half of the number of voters - 8 in the case of the Ring - is about all we can expect, therefore I don't see the advantage in keeping the polls open.

Maybe we'd have had CTP's vote, and if Elgarian comes back from his sudden absence, his as well, but probably, that's about it.

Besides, I can always search the forum for unequivocal recent statements from members. The various composer threads in the subforum may contain clear statements from members who write reviews. Anytime I can find a member's post that unequivocally says something to the effect of "this is the best version for this opera on video" while posting a review, I intend to count that as a vote, like I did in one case for the Ring. This may increase a little bit the number of votes.

By the way, using this method, if we had waited for Elgarian, it wouldn't have helped your cause. He profoundly dislikes the Levine/Schenk Ring, like he said here: http://www.talkclassical.com/11643-wagner-dvd-blu-ray-2.html#post130460

Even if CTP had voted for the Levine/Schenk, Barenboim would still have won 4-3. So, waiting longer wouldn't have necessarily changed the result.

EDIT: I have finally located a post by CTP with his opinion on this. It's not completely unequivocal but he does say that the Levine and Barenboim DVDs are a tie for the two best. Then he says that the Levine is the only one that Wagner would have recognized in terms of staging, and adds that this is not a small advantage. Therefore I conclude that he would have voted for the Levine/Schenk DVD if he had to pick just one. On the other hand, I have also located a post by member Il Seraglio, unequivocally picking the Barenboim Ring. So, we'd have a 5-3 with these members on board, still with the same winner/runner-up.

I'm organizing this but I don't want to be dictatorial. If more people want to change the method, fine. For now, your position and mine on this are a tie - you want to keep the polls open, I want to close them. If people want to weigh on this and break the tie, I'll be willing to change the method.

Here is a compromise: we proceed like we've been doing, with 48-hour polls. At the end of the list 7-8 months from now, we open a 15-day period for revisions/corrections. We publish the full list, and say that revisions are allowed for 15 days until we can call the list done for the year of 2011. During these 15 days, anybody disagreeing with any winner version of each of the 100 operas can cast a vote for a different version (or change his/her previous vote - especially in case of a new version coming to the market), and if those new votes change the winner and the runner-up for any opera, the final list will reflect the change. This will also allow for the inclusion of newcomers (both voters and versions). Once the new votes or corrections or changes of mind are taken into account, then we close the list for good and ask one of the moderators to publish it as a sticky and locked post.

Annually we can use the same method for revisions, inclusions of new versions, newbies' votes.

But we gotta get to the initial/basic list. Once this is done, then it's easier to make revisions (I expect that most of the 100 winners will remain pretty much the same for a while, because dominant versions usually last for a long time until something better replaces them).

#51 · (Edited)
I have just located a member's post with unequivocal recommendation of the 1995 Barenboim Bayreuth Tristan und Isolde as the best version on video, in the opinion of member scytheavatar. I'm counting this as a vote.

#52 · (Edited)
OK, I have also located a recommendation by CTP for the 1983 Barenboim Bayreuth that is quite unequivocal although he said it was his first experience with a Tristan DVD - but like I said above for the ground rules, a sole viewing that is described unequivocally as something that the member is very satisfied with having purchased it and recommends it to others does count as a vote, it passes the litmus test.

I'm putting lots of work on this, folks. I have reviewed 361 posts by members that have mentioned Tristan und Isolde - and only two have unequivocal recommendations.

So now we have:

2007 Belohlavek - Glyndebourne / London Philharmonic Orchestra - 3 votes
2007 Barenboim - Teatro alla Scala - 1 vote
1995 Barenboim - Bayreuth Festival - 1 vote
1983 Barenboim - Bayreuth Festival - 1 vote

----

Update on available versions:

2009 Schneider - Bayreuth Festival
2007 Berg - Anhaltische Philharmonie Dessau
2007 Barenboim - Teatro alla Scala

2007 Belohlavek - Glyndebourne / London Philharmonic Orchestra
2005 Jordan - Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
2004 Billy - Gran Teatro del Liceo
1999 Levine - Metropolitan Opera
1998 Mehta - Bayerische Staatsoper
1995 Barenboim - Bayreuth Festival
1993 Kout - Deutsche Oper Berlin
1989 Schenider - Gran Teatro del Liceo
1985 Janowski - L'Opéra Nationale de Paris
1985 Cambreling - Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie
1983 Barenboim - Bayreuth Festival
1976 Decker - Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal
1973 Böhm - Orchestre Nationale de l'ORTF
1970 Vandernoot - Orchestre Symphonique de la R.T.B.F.
1967 Boulez - NHK Symphony Orchestra

#55 ·
Alma, your efforts are admirable. Thanks for all your doing :)

Where are we up to now? Nearly finished Tristan?
This has prompted me to re-watch it this weekend.

#56 ·
You're welcome. You can send the box of dark 70% chocolate anytime.:D

The poll for Tristan closes tonight at 9 PM (USA ET). We're still facing a shortage of voters, I hope this project catches fire at some point. I don't know why some regulars are not voting. I wish they did.

Anyway, the next one is The Marriage of Figaro; should be fun since there are many good versions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.