Classical Music Forum banner

Latest DVD purchases

11K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  mamascarlatti 
#1 ·
I've been posting these in the general classical "latest purchases" thread but I think they'd be better here where there are more posters interested in opera. I'd love to know what you guys are buying. We could also have one for latest Opera on CD purchases.

So just arrived, an upgrade from my recent recorded from the TV version:

to hear Annie shout "bravo" (Am I right, is this the right DVD?)

and

I know José Cura isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he's a fantastic actor and I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in, which is the reason I am also waiting for:

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been posting these in the general classical "latest purchases" thread but I think they'd be better here where there are more posters interested in opera. I'd love to know what you guys are buying. We could also have one for latest Opera on CD purchases.

I know José Cura isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he's a fantastic actor and I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in, which is the reason I am also waiting for:

I can't stomach the final act of "lescaut" (desert outside of New Orleans?) so I only buy Manon DVDs :)

My latest purchase goes baroque..........

#4 · (Edited)
After my last shopping spree with gift cards from my birthday - I have already listed the 9 operas that I bought at the time - I've only bought two operas, one on CD (Cendrillon) and one on DVD (Itinerário do Sal):

I did come accross $525 in disposable income that I am planning to spend on opera.
I have started by buying a new rack since I've run out of space for my collection, and I want to organize it differently. I also used part of it to cover some past purchases - I had promised my wife that I'd only buy opera when I came accross some extra money like I just did, but I cheated on my promise with a few impulsive buys - but there are $340 left which could turn into a very neat shopping spree.

Suggestions?

#5 ·
I am going modern with one of my purhases. Look forward to it! You guys seemed to have given it a moderately well reception (in another thread) considering it is a very modern piece.

#7 · (Edited)

So just arrived, an upgrade from my recent recorded from the TV version:

to hear Annie shout "bravo" (Am I right, is this the right DVD?)
Yep! At the end of this which is from the TV (was recorded and broadcast before the performance I saw from which the DVD is compiled)

and

I know José Cura isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he's a fantastic actor and I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in,
I like him as well & I'll be interested in your review. I wasn't keen but I loved the music (which I didn't know) & the CD is on my wish list

#10 ·
My most recent DVD purchases (probably to no one's surprise) were the "Werther" and "Lohengrin" performances with el Guapo. And the next purchase is likely to be the Zürich "Tosca" with the aforesaid gentleman and Emily Magee, which is supposed to be released at the beginning of April. (I still have not figured out how to post images to this forum; the method which ought to work for some reason doesn't.)

#11 ·
:lol:

You have an El Guapo obsession like my Simon Boccanegra obsession

I've just bought this

but not watched it yet.

Mary - there are several ways to add images. For an Amazon image right click on the photo and select 'copy image location'. Then 'paste' between
. Or you can use the little mountain symbol on the forum tool bar above to paste your image between.

To post one of your own photos, use an image hosting site like Image Shack. Browse then choose your photo & enter. Once its uploaded click on one of the 'Links to Share Your Image' which should come up in blue, copy & paste the whole url. I usually select 'thumbnail' as it takes up less room on the forum page.

Hope this makes sense.

#16 ·
Have just ordered this:

which means I'm going to have a lot of sitting through Ceci going nuts while waiting for Jonas to hove into view to do his young lover thing:D.[/QUOTE]

Bartoli's grimacing and mugging does get old after a while -- especially when one really wants to see and hear el Guapo! As a bonus, this DVD also includes interviews with a couple of the cast members, the divine Jonas among them!

With copying images, I tried using the mountain icon on the toolbar, but what I ended up with wasn't the image itself but some sort of placeholder.
Here is the URL for the image of the new "Tosca" DVD with el Guapo (copied via the Properties route):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510l-CM5EUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
but it's anyone's guess what will actually show up when I submit this post.

#17 ·
With copying images, I tried using the mountain icon on the toolbar, but what I ended up with wasn't the image itself but some sort of placeholder.
Here is the URL for the image of the new "Tosca" DVD with el Guapo (copied via the Properties route):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510l-CM5EUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
but it's anyone's guess what will actually show up when I submit this post.
If you hit "go advanced" and then "preview post" you can see for yourself before you submit.

You can also use the "edit" function if, like me, you suffer from premature submitting:p.

For pictures, after you hit the mountain icon you need to paste in your copied url.

#29 ·
Keep us posted. Another one now added in the "to buy" list ...........

#30 ·

Two things prompted me to this purchase: the presence of both Matti Salminen and Philip Langridge, and the fact that this is the original 1869 version which doesn't include all the love business with Marina and Grigory which I frankly find dramatically unsatifactory, interrupting as it does the flow of the Boris plot. On the other hand it's a Willy Decker production so I am resigned to some incredibly heavy-handed symbolism in the staging. Ho hum.

I don't have a Billy Budd and this sounds like a humdinger of a production.

Saw some YouTubes and it looked like an intriguing and well sung production, so couldn't resist.

#31 ·
These are my last DVDs bought from Amazon

and

I bought Don Carlo after watching it on Treasure HD. This production gathered too many of my favorites artists: Furlanetto, Villazon, Keenlyside. Wonderful singing, nice, simple stage decorations.
La Rondine was bought after watching Angela singing on you tube. I loved her, but I am not a fan of Roberto Alagna. I haven't yet time to watch the DVD.

#33 ·

Need another Tales of Hoffman to go with Domingo ROH, a great "straight" ahead production with great singing but visually is showing its age, this new version looks to be more fanciful and bizarre.......a Luigi Pizzi production.

MamaS should know we have Ruggero Raimondi here also........

#36 · (Edited)
Here are a few that are finally on their way to me.

Some new ones:

This has Bejun Mehta in it so it was a no-brainer:

I love the Copenhagen Ring so I can't wait to see what the Danish team has done with Tannhäuser (Alma has an aneurysm at the mere thought of it):

I saw some Youtubes and this looked good:

Luis Lima is a fabulous Don Jose with Maria Ewing (actually better than El Guapo), and I used to have this production on VHS, so I treated myself to a DVD in the Presto classical sale:

I have the Domingo Tamerlano and it's fine but I want something more Handelian. And I've fancied Tom Randle ever since seeing him as a splendidly petulant Oberon in the Fairy Queen.

This is the French version that has been discussed on this forum. I'm curious.

#37 ·
These are on their way to me:

L'Equivoco Stravagante
La Grande-Duchesse de Gerolstein
La Cenerentola (von Stade's version)
MARIA CALLAS-AT COVENT GARDEN
RITTER BLAUBART
OBERTO
IL BURBERO DI BUON CUORE

#41 ·
Rossini, Semiramide (1823), Metropolitan Orchestra & Chorus, James Conlon, stage direction by John Copley. Recording Date: 1990.

E. Korngold, Die Tote Stadt (1920), op. 12, Orchestre Philharmonique de Strasbourg, Jan Latham-Koenig, stage direction by Inga Levant, recording Date: 2001.

Marc Minkowkski conducts Offenbach: Orphee Aux Enfers , La Belle Helène

#42 ·
I've just ordered these two and I'm very excited about them.

Dress Happy Font Fashion design Art

Face Head Eyebrow Mouth Smile

Well, and I also got this, just so that Anna's husband can make some money and buy her nice things, which will nevertheless not stop her from dumping him and marrying me instead.

Forehead Human Jaw Sleeve Happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.