Classical Music Forum banner

Haydn String Quartets. Help!

16K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  Bwv 1080 
#1 ·
I'm just browsing the Naxos CDs available on Amazon for Haydn string quartets. I'm a bit out of my depth here. Any recommendations? I see that the top 50 string ensembles only has quartets from Op. 76. Is it worth trying anything outside that? If that is my first buy, what other works should I consider. Ideally I am looking for a good selection without having to buy a complete works boxed set. Thanks!

G
#5 ·
I also like the Opp. 33, 74, and 77. And I highly recommend the Kodaly Quartet recordings on Naxos. There might be some that are a lot better, but you won't be disappointed by the Kodaly Quartet, and the price is right.

#15 ·
Been listened to the Kodaly Box set exclusively, shuffled around it for years. As early as in Op.17 the quartets have envolved into memorable piece. The Kodaly had in a nickname for some pieces, and that make it easier to see stand out piece. My favorite Haydn's are:

-"Sunrise" Op.76 no.4 in Bb
-"Fifth" Op.76 no.2 in Dm
... and all the rest of op.76

-"Bird" Op.33 no.3 in C
-"Sun" Op.29 no.2 in C

The only other CD I get is Jerusalem SQ 2 volume by Harmonia Mundi. Interesting selection of quartet there.

G
#21 ·
Might I ask which one? Do they put any further effort into packaging, or are the prices lower? I buy most music through downloading services like Amazon or iTunes, so this wouldn't bother me as much, but if I am going to pay more for the actual CD, I like all the fancy packaging and booklets that come with it.

#22 ·
I'm just browsing the Naxos CDs available on Amazon for Haydn string quartets. I'm a bit out of my depth here. Any recommendations? I see that the top 50 string ensembles only has quartets from Op. 76.
Should have been a top 100 ;-). I vote for the Naxos, too. I learned his quartets from this set. I think if you pick any from opus 33 on up, it doesn't matter where you start.
If you decide you want to investigate further, I recommend recordings on PRAGA by three different quartets: Prazak, Kocian and Parkanyi. They've recorded all six of 33, three from op. 50, op. 74 and 54. I hope they continue the cycle; these are really good performences in great sound.

Life would be noticably harder without Haydn's string quartets.

GKC

#24 ·
I'm not going to lie I bought the Aeolian String Quartet recordings and I was a little bit thrown off by some of their interpretations. In the latter dance movements, Haydn designates them as scherzo and yet they played them unbarebly slow. There are a few other examples which I won't take the time to list. Good recordings, but I feel at times they took some liberties.

#25 ·
If you're looking for complete recordings, I recommend the Buchberger Quartet (Brilliant Classics, low price) or the Angeles Quartet on Philips (don't know if it's still available). The latter show very well the evolution in Haydn's style and composition technique. Buchberger = HIP. Personally, I don't like the Kodaly Quartet on Naxos: too "middle of the road", and no difference between the interpretation of the early and late quartets. They have little intonation problems too.

One of the best HIP recordings is made the Quatuor Mosaïques. They didn't do the complete set, but the most important opus numbers (20, 33, 64, 76 and others). There is no other quartet that can "tell" the music, just as in an intelligent conversation. If you're not looking for a complete edition, this is my favourite (full price).

#28 ·
My opinion/listening experiences (though I'm probably less informed about Haydn's SQ's than many others here):

Solid and 'modern' instruments: Kodály Quartet (Naxos) - complete.
Splendid and 'period' instruments: Quator Mosaïques (Astrée) - selection.
Raw and 'period' instruments (with 'modern' tuning, if I'm not mistaken): Buchberger Quartett (Brilliant) - complete.
Beautiful and 'modern' instruments: Auryn Quartett (Tacet) - complete yet?... yes, I think so.

(Summarized: no duds here ;).)

I do have to say, that I only have the Mosaïques (a nice boxset) and the Buchberger in their complete form... from Kodály and Auryn I only have listened to a few. I guess that the Auryn Quartett is the most expensive. The Tacet recording quality is superb, although some might find it a bit too spacious. But it works fine for me.

#31 ·
I have several Haydn Quartet sets (a few not quite complete) and I pretty much like them all. These include Kodaly / Naxos, Buchberger, Tátrai, Festetics (early instruments), Aeolian, and Schneider Quartets--as well as the very cheap Vox set featuring the Fine Arts and Dekany Quartets. Each of the performing string quartet has its distinctive qualities. Some are lean and edgy (e.g. Festetics) and some are warm and a little romantic (e.g. Scheider). The Aeolians are very well played, but feature the first violin a bit too much for my taste.
Anyway, my sense is that one should simply start with whatever performances one has, and then be prepared to listen, with open ears, to some amazing music. I'd be inclined to start with Op. 64 and 76--which feature many of my very favorite quartets--and then sample around from there. To me it seems like an awfully long road to the mature style if one starts with Op. 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.