Classical Music Forum banner

Suor Angelica

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  HumphreyAppleby 
#1 ·
Jenn79 was looking for a tragic, sad opera, and this really fits the bill! :)

I just discovered this opera a few days ago. :eek:

I was in Barnes & Noble, in their CD section, when I came across this opera, which is really different many other Puccini operas.

First, it is a one act opera, and second, there are no men in this opera! :eek:

This CD has Joan Sutherland in the title role of Sister Angelica, with The National Philhamonic Orchestra, on the London label, and was recorded back in 1978.

I love this one act opera! :)

The emtional power behind Joan Sutherland singing has to be heard to be believed. When Sister Angelica learns that the son she was forced to give up when she was forced into the convent, is dead, she screams and sobs in a maner I have never heard in an opera.

I got chills down my spine, my skin crawled, and I felt like sobing along with her.

This is a wonderful CD, and at the buget price of $12.00 (U.S.) it is one of the best opera buys you will ever make. And the analog to digital transfer is top rate, it is a crisp, clear sound sound, that will make you forget that it was recorded on analog tape.

Buy it, love it, and have a good cry along with Sister Angelica. :)

See less See more
#5 ·
I'll try to give this a listen (or watch, if a DVD is available at the library). I was never happy with Puccini's operas - the music is nice, sure, but the plots...no comment. I did try - Boheme and Madam Butterfly and got completely put off, more by the latter which I saw at the ENO a long time ago. However, I'm always ready to have my mind changed!

EF

#6 ·
Daffodylls.... you are very welcome! :) I'm gald I could introduce you to this wonderful opera. :)

Frasier..... Thanks for keeping an open mind. :cool:

You may or may not like this opera. If you don't like Puccini's other operas, you may not like this one. (It's the same late 19th centuary romantic music that Puccini is famous for.)

However, there are some real differences that sets this opera apart from his others.

First, it is a one act opera, under an hour of listening time, so you don't have to spend a lot of time trying it out.

Second, unlike Puccini's other operas, there are NO MEN in this opera. All you hear are the sweet voices of woman, especially, Sister Angelica.

Third, unlike say, La Boheme (which is pure romance and tragedy), this opera seems to be making a social statement about the Church, and how women who had out of wedlock births were treated in the 19th century. When I first heard it, I got the feeling that Puccini was making a thinly viled attack upon The Church, which took a lot of courage on his part coming from 19th centuary Italy. I could be wrong, but that is how the opera sounds to me.

Oh, and CMB..... I will try that version of the opera. Thanks! :)

#8 ·
First, it is a one act opera, under an hour of listening time, so you don't have to spend a lot of time trying it out.
It's one of the "Il Trittico" opera's - a trilogy of one act operas that Puccini intended to be performed on the same evening, although they are often performed seperately. They are "Il Tabarro", "Suor Angelica" is the second of the series, and the last one is "Gianni Schicchi" - a brilliant comedy unique among Puccini's creations. It's sorta his "Falstaff.

#9 ·
Opinion seems divided on Suor Angelica. There are those who find the concluding section cloyingly sentimental, though I'm not one of them. It seems to me that Puccini leaves the question open about what's really happening: is Angelica experiencing a hallucination, or a genuine vision of a deeper reality? Is she really reunited with her son? We don't know. The music, though, lets us experience it with her.

I have three versions of Suor Angelica, and I agree that Joan Sutherland's version is very fine. However, for me, by far the most intensely moving version is sung by the less well-known Cristina Gallardo-Domas, conducted by Pappano. Unfortunately, it's not available separately, but only as part of this set:

There are samples here - scroll down to disc 2.

#11 ·
It walks a narrow line, I think, in an area where many people have low tolerance. It's not just a matter of being 'over the top', but the fact that to some people Angelica's vision at the end seems like a contrived piece of religiosity. As I said, I don't see it like that myself, but I can understand how some might. For myself, I find it extremely moving and deeply human; and I think Puccini leaves it sufficiently open for us each to interpret the ending how we choose.

#14 ·
While this is certainly not my favorite opera by any stretch of the imagination, to me, the success of any production or recording of SA is largely dependent upon the characterization and performance of the Zia Principessa. No matter how outstanding the sop Angelica may be, if the mezzo role does not deliver the needed frisson (sans creating a caricature), the opera falls flat.

as an aside, I feel the same way about the Countess; vis-a-vis Pique Dame.

#15 ·
Jenn79 was looking for a tragic, sad opera, and this really fits the bill! :)

I just discovered this opera a few days ago. :eek:

I was in Barnes & Noble, in their CD section, when I came across this opera, which is really different many other Puccini operas.

First, it is a one act opera, and second, there are no men in this opera! :eek:

This CD has Joan Sutherland in the title role of Sister Angelica, with The National Philhamonic Orchestra, on the London label, and was recorded back in 1978.

I love this one act opera! :)

The emtional power behind Joan Sutherland singing has to be heard to be believed. When Sister Angelica learns that the son she was forced to give up when she was forced into the convent, is dead, she screams and sobs in a maner I have never heard in an opera.

I got chills down my spine, my skin crawled, and I felt like sobing along with her.

This is a wonderful CD, and at the buget price of $12.00 (U.S.) it is one of the best opera buys you will ever make. And the analog to digital transfer is top rate, it is a crisp, clear sound sound, that will make you forget that it was recorded on analog tape.

Buy it, love it, and have a good cry along with Sister Angelica. :)
Joan Sutherland could sing Jingle bells and would sound terrific.

I like this opera...but it is too sad....ridiculously sad...very Puccini style. The woman as a victim...Indeed, since his maid (Doria Manfredi) died (she commited suicide because Puccini's wife pestered her...she thought she was having an affair with her husband). The same for La Bohème, Manon Lescault, Madama Butterfly and Liu in Turandot...Sister Angelica kills herself and asks for God's forgiveness. Contrary to Catholic religion, she IS forgiven.

#17 ·
I agree that the Pappano set of Il Triticco is the best available. Sadly, not much to recommend on DVD. I really love Sour Angelica. Have a look on youtube for some great finale's from this opera - Scotto, Frittoli, Nizza, Malfitano and a terrific Soviero - just stunning. I would jump to the scotto and Soviero if you want to be moved like never before by an opera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.