Classical Music Forum banner

Whats is the best "London" symphony?

4K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Vaneyes 
#1 ·
What is the best symphony Haydn wrote for London between 1791 and 1795?

I hesitate between the symphonies # 99 and #102.

In order of preference:

99-102 ("The Miracle")
104 "London"
100 "Military"
94 "Surprise"
101 "Clock"

#2 ·
I have not heard them all, but I love #94, not in the least for the much-hyped "surprise" in the second movement; it's for the first.

G
#3 ·
I'd be surprised to hear that Haydn wrote any symphony that could be called anything other than "best." But then, I haven't heard all hundred and four, either. But of the ones I have heard, I like no. 102 the best. That second movement... Wow.

#4 ·
Hi!
With my nickname it's a duty for me to answer here... ;)
In my opinion, both London cycles (93-98 and 99-104) end with their best symphony respectively. No. 104 is IMO the best of all.
This 12-set is on a high niveau, but the symphony No. 95 seems to me the most unimportant/uninteresting (it's a pity, because there aren't much minor-symphonies of the late Haydn, but luckily there are No. 80 and above all No. 83), followed by No. 93.
I can't comprehend why the symphonies Nos. 100,101,102 often are prefered ones.
I prefer Nos. 94,96,103 to these.
So, Handel, you see, we differ much in detail, but I'm sure we agree that Haydns London symphonies are a summit of orchestral music.
Regards,
AVH.

P.S.: Haydn rules! :cool:

#5 ·
So, Handel, you see, we differ much in detail, but I'm sure we agree that Haydns London symphonies are a summit of orchestral music.
Regards,
AVH.

P.S.: Haydn rules! :cool:
Yep, Haydn totally rules. He and Handel are my favorite composers (Handel wins by a nod).

Reactions: Dim7 and opus55
#11 · (Edited)
That's what I love about this forum. Necroposting is okay and the old threads are still interesting.

I would rate the No. 100 "Military" very highly if only because it is full of humor and Beethovenisms -- which turned out to be Haydnisms after all. Of course that could be said of all the later symphonies. Like the others, I have not heard them all.

#24 · (Edited)
Number 100 for me. Some highlights:

1st movement
Flutes playing theme 1 in the key of theme 2 just to toy with us
Silence before the development begins in a distant key
False recapitulation leads to further development

2nd movement
Turkish percussion and bugle calls

3rd movement
The "dancing elephants" in the trio

4th movement
Oh Haydn you tease.......give us the theme already.
Timpani explosion
Turkish Percussion in the Coda!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.