Classical Music Forum banner

The Talk Classical Most Recommended Opera CDs Project

184K views 1K replies 34 participants last post by  Itullian 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, folks, as promised, now that the list of TC Most Recommended Operas got ready (we got as far as 272), we'll proceed with the next project.

It will be a long and ambitious one.

The ultimate goal is to provide a list of Most Recommended audio and video recordings (the latter, when available) of all 272 operas, and to have hyperlinks that will connect these lists together so that by clicking on the name of an opera, we'd be easily taken to a post with the TC Most Recommended recordings for that opera. Once more operas get into the In Depth project (only La Traviata so far; if I'm not mistaken, I believe that we have established that Die Tote Stadt is next, and then Les Troyens), these threads will be hyperlinked to the list as well.

Our esteemed member TxllxT will be coordinating the CD project. He happens to be about to travel to Italy for 3 weeks and will be back in mid-October, but wanted us to get going anyway (I did tell him that we could wait for him, but he insisted that we should get started). However, as the coordinator, I'd say that whatever recordings we start to nominate and vote for, would not be considered to have yielded final results until TxllxT comes back and is able to cast his votes as well.

We can use this time to test the waters... see what difficulties we bump into... see how to best proceed, etc.

Because see, the DVD part is not that difficult - there aren't that many different versions for each operas, except for a few operas. Most operas have below 10 different DVD versions.

CD recordings, on the other hand, are counted by the dozens and dozens for most famous operas. So, we may end up with many nominations and no overlap to be able to say that a given recording is the one that is most recommended by our members.

We already have a list of the most recommended DVDs and blu-ray discs for our Top 100 operas (and the list has been revised once already, and is scheduled to be revised annually).

Therefore, we'll need to start by picking the most recommended CDs for these Top 100.

Then, when we get to the operas listed 101-272, we'll be able to simultaneously nominate CDs and DVD-Blu-ray versions (when available) for each opera.

Maybe we won't be able to easily find a 1st and 2nd Most Recommended CD version like we did for the operas on visual media. Maybe we'll need to select, say, 3 or 5 recommended CDs for each opera, something like this, and not necessarily rank these 3 or 5 in a given order.

I don't know yet how to best proceed, because I don't know how many different versions people will usually nominate. I'm no authority in opera CDs... only a fraction of my opera collection is made of CDs, since I privilege so much the visual media. I'll rarely be able to offer nominations. But I know that others here such as TxllxT, schigolch, Ballo, Yashin, Superhorn, etc., do know a lot about opera CDs, and I'm hoping that these and other knowledgeable members will make of this project a successful one.

Anyway, while TxllxT is away, we can start to test the waters by nominating CDs that are recommended by our members for the first opera in our list, Der Ring des Nibelungen.

Since the Ring is a special case by being a set of four operas, we may need to give it special consideration by picking two categories of CDs:

1. What is in your opinion the best recording of the complete Ring in one box set? (Please mention conductor, year of recording, orchestra, and recording company - e.g., EMI, DG, etc. - no bootlegs, please)

2. What are in your opinion the best individual recordings for each one of the four Ring operas? (Again, please mention conductor, year of recording, orchestra, and recording company)

So, the effort is tentatively open. Make your nominations, suggest methodology, whatever. We'll see how this shapes up, and once TxllxT is back, we'll start to have official results and official recommendations ready.

Remember, just like in all similar efforts here on TC, we don't presume to be able to say which recording is the "best" one - which is a subjective and variable concept anyway. All we *can* say is which recordings are "most recommended" (as in, more often recommended) by our members.

Just like we did for the DVD effort, in order to cast a valid vote there are only two requirements:
1 - The voter must be a TC member in good standing (obviously, and self-regulating because only members in good standing have posting privileges)
2 - The voter must have listened to the CD, and liked it. This is to prevent people from voting for what they "think" is the 'best' version out of reading about it in guides and encyclopedias. There are numerous sources out there, some of them quite well informed, such as books and guides authored by professional music scholars. That's not what we're trying to accomplish here. What we're interested in, is in establishing what our Talk Classical members like and recommend.

So, if you've only listened to *one* CD of a given opera but you liked it and would recommend it to a friend, then feel free to vote for it, even though several dozens of other recordings exist and you don't know them.

However, don't vote for something that you *didn't* like just because it's the only one you know.

It's pretty simple, folks. If you can tell yourself that a given CD is 'recommended' out of having listened to it and liked it, do feel free to vote for it. Otherwise, don't.

See less See more
Reactions: TxllxT
#9 ·
schigolch, your idea of this effort would set the bar too high. If everybody here only felt free to vote if they knew all or most of the existing recorded versions of an opera, we'd barely collect enough votes and the effort would fail. Please read the added paragraphs that I've just inserted at the end of the opening post above, which further clarifies the goal of this effort. The spirit of this effort is to just indicate what *our* members like and recommend, not necessarily which versions are the authoritative 'best'. The bottom line is, it doesn't need to be *a really informed choice* otherwise we wouldn't get anywhere. Certain operas have 250 CD recordings or more. How would we ever be able to recommend a couple of recordings out of personally liking them, if the requirements included being really informed about most existing versions in order to be able to contribute? Short of top professionals in operatic music, I'd assume that only a handful of human beings on the planet have listened to all 250+ recordings of a given opera.

In my book, any CD recommendation coming from you would qualify as a really informed choice, given your superior understanding of what constitutes good operatic singing and good conducting/orchestral playing. When you refrain from giving us your recommendation, you deprive our members of your highly respected expertise. So please feel free to contribute each time you feel that a given recording is worth a recommendation, regardless of having listened to most of the competition or not. Knowing you and how valuable your opinion is, I'm quite sure that whatever you recommend is worth a listen.:tiphat:

#3 ·
As I understand the plan, although again, I wasn't around for the earlier rounds of it, we should feel free to vote if we have limited knowledge. That, if we listened to a CD or DVD and loved it, we shouldn't feel inhibited about voting for it. It might not be the objective 'best', (not that such a thing usually exists,), but it'd serve to guide someone else.

So, believing that, I'm going to vote for the Solti Ring--that is, the Ring of Hans Hotter, Wolfgang Windgassen, Birgit Nilsson, etc.

#6 ·
As I understand the plan, although again, I wasn't around for the earlier rounds of it, we should feel free to vote if we have limited knowledge. That, if we listened to a CD or DVD and loved it, we shouldn't feel inhibited about voting for it. It might not be the objective 'best', (not that such a thing usually exists,), but it'd serve to guide someone else.

So, believing that, I'm going to vote for the Solti Ring--that is, the Ring of Hans Hotter, Wolfgang Windgassen, Birgit Nilsson, etc.
Absolutely, that's the spirit, I should have inserted a paragraph about this in the opening post, I'll do it, thanks.

#5 ·
Solti is certainly going to be a popular choice. I would have nominated it myself had this project been a few years ago as well for the total package. Where my opinion changed was when Testament released the live Keilberth Ring from Bayreuth 1955. This was in fact the first stereo Ring. Keilberth conducts a wonderfully dramatic cycle. Furthermore you get many of the 'Golden Age' singers at their peak rather than at the end of their careers such as you do on Solti's and Bohm's sets. Hotter and Windgassen are in much better voice throughout this cycle. You also have Ramon Vinay who I personally prefer as Siegmund to James King. Finally Astrid Varnay as Brunnhilde is personally for me my favourite in this role but of course could not argue with anyone who preferred Nilsson, Flagstad, Modl etc. There are of course historical recordings that will also be popular amongst hardcore Wagner lovers such as Furtwangler's efforts, Knappertsbusch and the exciting effort from Krauss which has a similar cast to Keilberth. So personally I am with Keilberth.

In terms of recordings for each of the individual operas I would do as follows:

Das Rheingold: I think that this is really the one where I do prefer Solti. George London stands out as Wotan and Flagstad as Fricka is not bad either. The Rheingold of Keilberth's has the worst sound quality in that particular set but it is still a very good effort.

Die Walkure: IMHO Solti's version is very weak and there are lots of better recordings of this particular piece. Personally I feel it is the stongest of Karajan's cycle. There is also a wonderful stand alone recording by Leinsdorf in 1962 with the LSO. For those seeking historical Walkure's there is another wonderful recording by Leinsdorf from the Met on 6 December 1941 featuring Melchior and Varnay (making her debut) at the Walsung twins, Helen Traubel as Brunnhilde, Schorr as Wotan. There is also another Keilberth recording from the same year as complete cycle but with a slightly different cast with Modl as Brunnhilde and Varnay as Sieglinde. Some think this is actually better than the first released version. However I would side with the first Keilberth version.

Siegfried: Again I would side with Keilberth as Windgassen is really at his best. Although I do have a liking for Bohm's effort.

Gotterdammerung: Many people will side with Solti as they will be fond of Nilsson's remarkable effort and Frick is a great Hagan. Although I would side again with Keilberth as Varnay is so emotional that I am almost in tears every time I hear the end of this great monument of Western art.:cry:

#13 ·
I'm not gone yet, but preparations are in full sway (5 travel guides to read, get the TomTom ready-programmed, etc. etc.) so my TC attendance is getting lower. Just for info: we are heading at the end of the week for the eastside of the Venice Laguna on the Adriatic coast to a new appartment with seaview & swimmingpool. We will 'do' Venice, Triëst and the region inbetween. Perhaps some of you have must-see suggestions....

As to Der Ring des Nibelungen: my overall choice would be Solti for the sake of the voices, but Karajan comes close with his much stronger orchestral discipline, that never fails to infatuate me completely. When I devote myself to listening to such lenghty pieces of music, I want perfection and nothing but perfection. Solti's grip on the score often slackens; too often to my taste. But again, Solti has the voices...
Taking Der Ring apart into 4 operas:
Das Rheingold My heart is torn apart between Karajan's obsessive orchestral headbanging and Solti's better casting of the voices.
Die Walküre Leinsdorf 1962 without doubt.
Siegfried Solti for the overall sound quality. (I don't like Siegfried that much, I must confess).
Götterdämmerung Karajan who has this sinister brooding & gripping ability of transporting the listener into a pre- (or post-)cultural world that is falling apart.

Personally I tend to make a division between CDs with high soundquality and CDs with historical soundquality. Therefore I would put Fürtwangler and Keilberth in a different category. We ought to discuss this though...

#21 ·
I can see where you are coming from but I would prefer to keep it simple. There are many people who are going to name historical recordings as their favourite. Callas's Tosca with De Sabata must be a front runner as maybe Furtwangler's Tristan etc.

At the end of the day it is about personal favourites and these things are as personal as favourite wines which of course can be discussed in another area of the forum.:)

#17 · (Edited)
I have to go with the Solti Ring. It's the one I cut my teeth on, and it still holds a special place in my heart.

I'll give Solti the nod for each of the individual operas as well. His Das Rheingold and Götterdämmerung need no explanation. The Siegfried may not have Windgassen in his freshest voice, but he threw himself into the project with abandon (after saving it single-handedly). I know Die Walküre is considered the weak link, but it still carries a powerful dramatic punch, and I wouldn't be without Régine Crespin's Sieglinde.

#18 · (Edited)
So, let's see what we have so far.

Complete box set - Solti 4 votes, Keilberth 2 votes and a mention; mention is made of Karajan, another mention is made of Fürtwangler.

Individual operas (for the three members so far who explicitly talked about their choices for each individual opera of the Ring):

Das Rheingold - Solti 2.5 votes, Karajan 0.5 vote
Die Walküre - Karajan 1 vote (mention is made of 1962 Leinsdorf/LSO; 1941 Leinsdorf/Met; and Keilberth first and second versions), 1962 Leinsdorf 1 vote, Solti 1 vote
Siegfried - Keilberth 1 vote (mention is made of Bohm), Solti 2 votes
Götterdämmerung - Keilberth 1 vote, Karajan 1 vote, Solti 1 vote

If I haven't tallied this correctly, please feel free to correct me.
I have introduced a distinction between vote and mention. I used as criterion for the distinction, my interpretation of the member's preferred version given the way it's been phrased. So, if a member clearly said "I prefer version A" I count this as a vote for version A. If a member says "this other version is also good" or something to this effect, I count it as a mention. If a member says "I'm torn between versions A and B" and doesn't clearly take a stance for one of the two, I count it as half a vote for each.

Like I said, this preliminary effort is a water-testing thing. Later we'll establish how we will report results, how many recommendations per opera we'll make, what weight we'll give to votes, half-votes, mentions, etc., whether or not we'll take nominations and submit them to another vote, etc., and like I said I welcome methodology suggestions. But this doesn't mean that the above expressed opinions aren't valid yet. They *will* be part of the final result, one way or the other (it's just that the final methodology hasn't been established yet - but whatever it is, the nominations/votes/mentions already mentioned will find a way into the system).

For now, let's just keep mentioning what versions we like - it's going quite well, so far. I'm waiting for Chi_TownPhilly's input as well since he's very knowledgeable about Wagner recordings - and other members too. So far, so good. Keep up the good work, folks!

#19 ·
I'm waiting for Chi_TownPhilly's input as well...
I went search-rummaging through my previous posts on this topic, and the most complete one I could find was here. So... for complete cycle, Solti-Vienna-- and for individual operas- Solti throughout, with the exception of the Keilberth Siegfried.

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks, CTP. So the tally now is: [edit] I have added MAuer's vote for Haitink and jhar26's vote for Solti

Complete box set - Solti 6 votes, Keilberth 2 votes and a mention; Haitink 1 vote, mention is made of Karajan, another mention is made of Fürtwangler.

Individual operas (for the three members so far who explicitly talked about their choices for each individual opera of the Ring):

Das Rheingold - Solti 3.5 votes, Karajan 0.5 vote
Die Walküre - Karajan 1 vote (mention is made of 1962 Leinsdorf/LSO; 1941 Leinsdorf/Met; and Keilberth first and second versions), 1962 Leinsdorf 1 vote, Solti 2 votes
Siegfried - Keilberth 2 votes (mention is made of Bohm), Solti 2 votes
Götterdämmerung - Keilberth 1 vote, Karajan 1 vote, Solti 2 votes

#22 ·
This isn't easy, is it? For me, thinking of a complete Ring, the choice is between Solti, Bohm, Boulez, Karajan, and Goodall (which are the ones I own). Bohm is the one I've loved longest, for the simple reason that for 30 years it was all I had. But my memories of Boulez through an early radio transmission are still with me, still powerful, and haven't been dimmed by listening to it again recently. Goodall's was the only Ring I ever saw live, and his Gotterdammerung, with Rita Hunter, remains the supreme musical experience of my life. But his recorded Ring somehow doesn't quite live up to that memory. Karajan I acquired only recently, and the jury is still out.

As for Solti: I first heard it before I had a Ring of my own, played on first-rate equipment in a specially-designed music room built by a friend. I knew then and there it was the Ring I wanted, but it just cost too much. We settled on Bohm instead, as a much cheaper option. It was a good choice, but a substitute for what I really wanted.

Now I have a Solti Ring of my own, in no way does it disappoint, not even after all that 'unattainable' psychological super-hyping over the years. For me, it sets the standard. It brings the Ring to life in my living room like no other recording does.

So my vote's for Solti.

#27 · (Edited)
If you like it and know no other, we traditionally have counted this as a vote (recommendation) anyway.

So this would put the Solti at 6 votes (Edit: later updated to 7 votes due to a late vote).

So I guess after three days we can move on.

----------------------------------------

Opera # 1
Most recommended CD Box Set for Der Ring des Nibelungen by Richard Wagner

Winner with 7 votes out of 10 (70%) among 5 nominees:

Georg Solti, Wiener Philharmoniker, Studio, 1958/1962/1964/1965, Decca

Das Rheingold by Richard Wagner performed in German
Conductor Georg Solti - 1958(STU)
Orchestra - Wiener Philharmoniker
Wotan - George London
Fricka - Kirsten Flagstad
Loge - Set Svanholm
Mime - Paul Kuen
Alberich - Gustav Neidlinger
Freia - Claire Watson
Froh - Waldemar Kmentt
Donner - Eberhard Wächter (Waechter)
Erda - Jean Madeira
Fasolt - Walter Kreppel
Fafner - Kurt Böhme
Woglinde - Oda Balsborg
Wellgunde - Hetty Plümacher
Floßhilde - Ira Malaniuk
------------------------------------------------------------------
Compact Disc; - Decca(London) 414 101-2 {3CDS} (1984)ª; Decca(London) 414 100-2 (Cycle) {15CDS}; Decca 455 555-2 (cycle) {14CDS}; Decca 455 556-2 {2CDS} Decca 470 600-2 (The Solti Wagner Collection) {21CDS} (2002)ª; Decca «Originals» 478 0382 {2CDS} (2008)ª

Die Walküre by Richard Wagner performed in GermanConductor Georg Solti - 1965(STU)Orchestra - Wiener Philharmoniker Siegmund - James King Sieglinde - Régine Crespin Hunding - Gottlob Frick Brünhilde - Birgit Nilsson Wotan - Hans Hotter Fricka - Christa Ludwig Gerhilde - Vera Schlosser Ortlinde - Helga Dernesch Waltraute - Brigitte Fassbaender Schwertleite - Helen Watts Helmwige - Berit Lindholm Siegrune - Vera Little Grimgerde - Marilyn Tyler Roßweiße - Claudia Hellmann ------------------------------------------------------------------
Compact Disc; - Decca(London) 414 105-2 {4CDS} (1984)ª; Decca(London) 414 100-2 (Cycle) {15CDS}; Decca 455 555-2 (Cycle) {14CDS}; Decca 455 559-2 {4CDS} Decca 470 600-2 (The Solti Wagner Collection) {21CDS} (2002)ª

Siegfried by Richard Wagner performed in German
Conductor Georg Solti - 1962(STU)
Siegfried - Wolfgang Windgassen
Mime - Gerhard Stolze
Wanderer - Hans Hotter
Brünhilde - Birgit Nilsson
Erda - Marga Höffgen
Fafner - Kurt Böhme
Waldvogel - Joan Sutherland
Compact Disc; - Decca(London) 414 110-2 {4CDS} (1984)ª; Decca(London) 414 100-2 (Cycle) {15CDS}; Decca 455 555-2 (Cycle) {14CDS}; Decca 455 564-2 {4CDS} Decca 470 600-2 (The Solti Wagner Collection) {21CDS} (2002)ª

Götterdämmerung by Richard Wagner performed in German
Conductor Georg Solti - 1964(STU)
Chorus - Wiener Staatsoper
Brünnhilde - Birgit Nilsson
Hagen - Gottlob Frick
Gunther - Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
Gutrune - Claire Watson
Waltraute - Christa Ludwig
Woglinde - Lucia Popp
Wellgunde - Gwyneth Jones
Floßhilde - Maureen Guy
First Norn - Helen Watts
Second Norn - Grace Hoffman
Third Norn - Anita Välkki
Compact Disc; - Decca(London) 414 115-2 {5CDS} (1984)ª; Decca(London) 414 100-2 (Cycle) {15CDS}; Decca(London) 455 555-2 (Cycle) {14CDS}Decca 455 569-2 {4CDS} Decca 470 600-2 (The Solti Wagner Collection) {21CDS} (2002)ª

Runner-up with 2 out of 10 votes (20%) among 5 nominees:

Joseph Keilberth, Bayreuth Festival Orchestra, Live, 1955, Testament

Das Rheingold by Richard Wagner performed in German
Conductor Joseph Keilberth - 1955(LC)
Orchestra - Bayreuth Festival
Wotan - Hans Hotter
Fricka - Georgine von Milinkovic
Loge - Rudolf Lustig
Mime - Paul Kuen
Freia - Hertha Wilfert
Froh - Josef Traxel
Donner - Toni Blankenheim
Erda - Maria von Ilosvay
Fasolt - Ludwig Weber
Fafner - Josef Greindl
Woglinde - Jutta Vulpius
Wellgunde - Elisabeth Schärtel
Floßhilde - Maria Graf
Compact Disc; - Testament SBT2 1390 {2CDS} (2006)ª; Testament SBT 141412 (cycle) {14CDS} (2008)ª

Die Walküre by Richard Wagner performed in German
Conductor Joseph Keilberth - 1955(LI)
Siegmund - Ramón Vinay
Sieglinde - Astrid Varnay
Hunding - Josef Greindl
Brünhilde - Martha Mödl
Wotan - Hans Hotter
Fricka - Georgine von Milinkovic
Gerhilde - Hertha Wilfert
Ortlinde - Gerda Lammers
Waltraute - Elisabeth Schärtel
Schwertleite - Maria von Ilosvay
Helmwige - Hilde Scheppan
Siegrune - Jean Watson
Grimgerde - Georgine von Milinkovic
Roßweiße - Maria Graf
Compact Disc; - Walhall «Eternity Series» WLCD 0177 {3CDS} (2006)ª; Testament SBT 41432 (+Tannhäuser - excerpts) {4CDS}

Siegfried by Richard Wagner performed in German
Conductor Joseph Keilberth - 1955(LC)
Mime - Paul Kuen
Wanderer - Hans Hotter
Brünhilde - Astrid Varnay
Erda - Maria von Ilosvay
Fafner - Josef Greindl
Waldvogel - Ilse Hollweg
Compact Disc; - Testament SBT4 1392 {4CDS} (2006)ª; Testament SBT 141412 (cycle) {14CDS} (2008)ª

Götterdämmerung by Richard Wagner performed in German
Conductor Joseph Keilberth - 1955(LC;Varnay)
Chorus - Bayreuth Festival
Brünnhilde - Astrid Varnay
Hagen - Josef Greindl
Gunther - Hermann Uhde
Gutrune - Gré Brouwenstijn
Waltraute - Maria von Ilosvay
Woglinde - Jutta Vulpius
Wellgunde - Elisabeth Schärtel
Floßhilde - Maria Graf
First Norn - Maria von Ilosvay
Second Norn - Georgine von Milinkovic
Third Norn - Mina Bolotine
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Compact Disc; - Testament SBT4 1393 {4CDS} (2006)ª; Testament SBT 141412 (cycle) {14CDS} (2008)ª

Given the special case represented by Der Ring des Nibelungen, we also conducted a vote for isolated operas - results will be provided without details:

Das Rheingold - Solti 3.5 votes, Karajan 0.5 vote

Die Walküre - Karajan 1 vote (mention is made of 1962 Leinsdorf/LSO; 1941 Leinsdorf/Met; and Keilberth first and second versions), 1962 Leinsdorf 1 vote, Solti 2 votes

Siegfried - Keilberth 2 votes (mention is made of Bohm), Solti 2 votes

Götterdämmerung - Solti 2 votes, Keilberth 1 vote, Karajan 1 vote

----------------------------------

Nominations are now open for opera # 2, Tristan und Isolde by Richard Wagner.

Reactions: Chi_townPhilly
#33 ·
Tristan:

1952, Furtwängler with Flagstad and Suthaus.

And just an aside, Alma: Kirsten Flagstad only appeared on the Solti Rheingold as Fricka. She was replaced in Walküre by Christa Ludwig, and all of the Brünnhildes were sung by Birgit Nilsson. And I think there are some more errors in the cast list for the Solti Walküre.
Huh, interesting, I got the cast list from a database, so I guess the database is wrong. Since I don't have the CDs, I can't correct the info myself. Can you or someone tell me what roles are wrong so that we enter the right info?

#31 · (Edited)

Flagstad is great, though not at the same level as in the Reiner's 1930s recording. Suthaus sings an intense and pasional hero, his timbre and dark voice are not immediately memorable. The young Fischer-Dieskau with a very lyric voice and still free of excessive mannerisms give us a fresh portrait of Kurwenal. Theborn is your usual poor man's Brangäne, but is very inspired here. Greindl is a credible human and suffering Marke.

Furtwängler and the orchestra are just magical.

#35 ·
Here's a vote for Barenboim's Tristan und Isolde from the early '90s, with Jerusalem and (Waltraud) Meier in the two leads. The recording was on the Teldec label when I purchased it.

I was going to vote for the Haitink Ring cycle, also from the early '90s . . . but I was vastly outnumbered, anyway. Nonetheless, I'd recommend giving voting for each opera a 48-hour period just to make sure all of the Forum members have a chance to participate.

#39 · (Edited)
Nonetheless, I'd recommend giving voting for each opera a 48-hour period just to make sure all of the Forum members have a chance to participate.
I did that, it was actually a 72-hour period for the Ring. I can edit and include your Haitink vote - done, in post #20; for the master thread and official result, it is included in the fact that nominees increased to 5 and total valid votes increased to 9, but like you said, your vote didn't push your nominee into the official final result.

For Tristan und Isolde, the count now is Bohm 3, Furtwangler 3, Baremboim 1

#36 ·
Here's the correct Solti Walküre cast list:

Siegmund / James King
Sieglinde / Régine Crespin
Wotan / Hans Hotter
Brünnhilde / Birgit Nilsson
Hunding / Gottlob Frick
Fricka / Christa Ludwig
Gerhilde / Vera Schlosser
Ortlinde / Helga Dernesch
Waltraute / Brigitte Fassbaender
Schwertleite / Helen Watts
Helmwige / Berit Lindholm
Siegrune / Vera Little
Grimgerde / Marilyn Tyler
Roßweiße / Claudia Hellmann

#42 ·
Been away for a couple of days and nearly missed the chance to vote for the Bohm 1966 Tristan.

Why Bohm?

1. It's the only one I've ever owned, and I've never felt the need to get another. That doesn't mean I think Bohm is the 'best', but it does mean that it fully satisfies all my Tristanian desires.
2. I might, all things being equal, have been tempted by Goodall's recording (Welsh National Opera, Linda Esther Gray) because it has a personal connection, but all things are not equal because of the following facts:
(a) It seems to cost about a million pounds now.
(b) I saw that same cast do it live, at Liverpool Empire, and it stands as the most turgid opera experience of my life. The most interesting thing was the remarkably loud ticking of the wristwatch worn by the man sitting next to me - so loud, indeed that eventually I asked him if he'd mind putting it in his pocket till the end. Which he did, and I was glad, for it was the only thing that was keeping me awake.

#45 · (Edited)
OK, folks, it's been almost three days, and the count is tied between Böhm and Furtwängler.

So, let's call a 24-hour tie-breaker. Considering just these two recordings of Tristan und Isolde, which one do you prefer?

#49 · (Edited)
I favor the legendary 1952 mono Furtwangler............

Flagstadt near the end of her career is still a notch above Nilsson for me, and Furtwangler is transcendental here in another league, if not for the mono sound (very good in this case) this would rule all

Wagner Ring
My choice is the expensive 1955-56 Keilberth/Testament, a dream cast in prime voice, many of the same singers used by Solti in better voice.......

Many don't realize this is recorded live in very good stereo sound, top Decca recording team, Culshaw put this on the back burner while he pursued his dream studio Ring with Solti

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.