Classical Music Forum banner

Training in Classical Music?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Barelytenor 
#1 ·
So i'd like to start training as an opera singer soon, it's a long road with lots to learn and at the moment i know nothing about Music. Could anybody tell me a little bit about what i'd have to learn and what the best route for me to take is. I mean, apart from getting a Music Teacher. Mostly what i'd need to study, i've already done quite a bit of Drama.

I know little about this as a business but my main concern is my age, i'm almost 21, so i'm wondering whether there's an age limit to this, or whether being older will make it harder?

Any information would be great, also i live in the UK which may make a difference.

THANK YOU

#3 ·
do you have any sort of natural talent? ie. can you sing well? do you know the repertoire?

eventually you could try auditioning at the conservatory or university, but first you would have to learn the basics of music theory, solfeggio, dictation, etc. (on your own or with a teacher). music as a "business" is all about auditions... and contacts, but that's another thing.

however, if you can't actually sing, it's probably hopeless since you do need a certain kind of physiological apparatus to become an opera singer, and no training will bring you up to that level unless you are born with it.

#5 ·
It is possible for people to enter the operatic scene at a late age - and 21 isn't a late age! Alberto Remedios (not sure it was his real name, given he was a Liverpool docker) did it. But you have to be good at it - even if, through lack of training, you don't know that yet.

The trouble is that, the way the brain develops, we are best at learning things when we are young (pre ten to be honest) and it is ever harder going the older we get.

You need to develop a classical singing technique (which will stand you in good stead anyway). I would go for that first and, as you do, start networking so that you can build up contacts in the operatic world. You won't get anywhere without a demonstrably good voice.

Also, the more you are familar with opera, and particularly the sort of roles you might ultimately take on, the better, so a bit of private study is in order.

Malcolm Gladwell, in one of his books, rather dismisses the idea of genius. He reckons it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be good at anything. If you're up for spending three hours a day, every day, for ten years - and you have the talent - go for it. If you aim for it and don't succeed, you'll likely still to be a good singer able to bring huge pleasure to many people.

#7 ·
Malcolm Gladwell, in one of his books, rather dismisses the idea of genius. He reckons it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be good at anything. If you're up for spending three hours a day, every day, for ten years - and you have the talent - go for it. If you aim for it and don't succeed, you'll likely still to be a good singer able to bring huge pleasure to many people.
I'm not sure about genius, but I am convinced of the importance of talent and aptitude which can increase motivation. You're more likely to stick to the 10,000 hours if your practice yields pleasing results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.