Classical Music Forum banner

Should this subforum have its title changed to 'Opera on DVD, Blu-ray, and CD' ?

• Yes, CD reviews are allowed anyway, it would be less confusing

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No, DVDs and Blu-rays still predominate, the subforum title is just fine

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Whatever. I don't have an opinion, either way is fine

Votes: 2 9.5%

Should we rename this subforum to include the CD category?

4K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  mamascarlatti 
#1 ·
A couple of members have expressed the idea that this subforum should be called Opera on DVD, Blu ray, and CD.

When it was created, there was only a small CD thread and most contributions were aimed at DVDs and Blu-rays. After some discussion, we decided to not have CDs on the title, while allowing the CD thread to continue to thrive, and allowing people to post CD reviews together with the DVDs and Blu-rays reviews in the threads for the various composers.

Basically, we went for the rule that CDs reviews and comments were allowed but were not the main focus of the subforum therefore CDs shouldn't be part of the subforum title.

Lately the CD thread has been growing, now with 620 replies and 14,313 views.
Also, many CDs got reviewed in the composers threads.

And finally we're starting right now an effort to make CD recommendations for our top 100 operas, and then, DVD-Blu-rays AND CD recommendations for the 101-272 operas.

While DVDs and blu-rays remain largely the object of the majority of posts here, maybe it is time to include CD as part of the subforum title.

So please vote, and we'll take the results to the site administrator Krummhorn.

Thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
I didn't take part in the earlier discussions, so take my thought for what it's worth.

Why not have a separate Opera on CD subforum? The topic is at least as rich as Opera on DVD and Blu-ray. Then there could be separate threads devoted to Verdi on CD, Wagner on CD, Puccini on CD, etc., along with a host of other CD-specific issues.

This more clearly delineated approach might draw even more interest to the forum.

#6 · (Edited)
I didn't take part in the earlier discussions, so take my thought for what it's worth.

Why not have a separate Opera on CD subforum? The topic is at least as rich as Opera on DVD and Blu-ray. Then there could be separate threads devoted to Verdi on CD, Wagner on CD, Puccini on CD, etc., along with a host of other CD-specific issues.

This more clearly delineated approach might draw even more interest to the forum.
I think that this is taking it too far. 640 posts don't a subforum make.
We can have strong CD threads inside the DVD, Blu-ray, *and CD* subforum, but as strong as CDs deserve to be, clearly the posts addressing them are many, many folds less frequent than the DVD and Blu-ray posts. Therefore, by artificially putting a section of the forum in equal grounds with a clearly more represented one, doesn't necessary grant this equality to the former. What makes a subforum needed is the number of posts on that topic. We have 6,430 posts in the DVD and blu-ray subforum and only 10% of them address CDs. The numbers don't lie, the two topics *aren't* in equal grounds so in my opinion they shouldn't be artificially granted equal grounds.

This is not to say that opera on CD is not just as important as opera on DVD-Blu-ray as a matter of quality, variety, etc.

This is to say that *here* on Talk Classical there is strong demand for a DVD-Blu ray area to accommodate more than 6,000 posts, but there is only 10% of that demand (rightly or wrongly, but it's a fact) to accommodate CD posts.

Besides, I think we're evolving to having strong recommendation and discussion of a given opera in its various recording media (audio AND video), and separating the two would just complicate things. I'm more for integration than separation.

Let's not make the same mistake Netflix has just made.

#11 ·
I voted "NO". To me the point of this subforum is to discuss opera on visual media.

If we were going to rename the subforum to "Opera on DVD, Blu-Ray, and CD" ... we may as well rename it "Opera Recordings" since it is redundant to name every medium the recording was released in. Or you could take the opposite tack and be comprehensive - "Opera on 33rpm, 45rpm, 78rpm, 8-track, cassette tape, reel to reel, CD, SACD, DCC, Minidisc, digital downloads, VHS, Betamax, Laser disc, DVD, Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD (and other aural and visual formats not otherwise specified or not yet invented)" :)

#16 · (Edited)
I'm in favour of retaining the separate CD thread for purely selfish reasons: I'm more interested in buying, and more likely to buy, opera CDs than opera DVDs.

And also because I don't like change.

And also because I think that when Wittgenstein said 'The World is everything that is the case', he meant a CD case.

And also (why didn't I think of this before?) because it's Wednesday.

#19 ·
I haven't voted because I don't have a strong opinion about it. The content of this subforum is what it is no matter what the name is. If however the talk about cd's continues to increase it might be better to include CD's in the title since it would be a more accurate description of the content of the forum.

#18 ·
I already voted, but I think that the title should have "DVD, Blu-ray and CD", rather than going to the generic 'Recordings', which, I think, is too generic to catch your eye, even though it is more accurate. If anyone wants to write about a little gem that's only found on 8-track, he'll just have to figure it out. ;)

#20 ·
Lots of great ideas here ... good to see the proactive postings.

I've also abstained from voting as I prefer to maintain my neutral position in matters like this. Once a decision is reached and I get word of that from Gaston and Alma, I'll effect the change.

#21 ·
We have 10 pro to 3 con, with 2 abstentions.
My concern is that this is still a very small number of subforum participants.
In order to have a representative view of what members here want, we need more votes.
So for now I'd hold on this until we gather more votes, then we tell Krummhorn what the members' wish is.

#22 ·
I voted "yes" because I have a lot of operas on CDs (but I am happy with the current set up/not too fussy). We know our way around the forum and it works OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.