Classical Music Forum banner

Recordings of Donizetti's Elisir d'Amore

21K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  Azol 
#1 · (Edited)
HMMMM

This is thread to write about Elisir's you've heard and share your impressions. I've checked most of famous recordings of it and I'm wondering if I've missed any notable rendition. I shall share my thoughts on those I've heard so far in case anyone would consider extending his Elisir collection.

I has these:

In this recording you have Domingo at his best. Domingo is class of it's own but he made so many recordings that among them there are many disappointing ones. This one surely doesn't belong to them. It's one of those recordings where every single note from a singer is beautiful solely because of his splendid voice, even if it's only recitativo. I'd say it's the best Nemorino I've heard. Cotrubas soft voice lacks dramatic strenght but who would expect it from Adina? She is magnificent here, especially when he sings the act II barcarolle so coquettishly. Belcore is very good too, Dulcamara - well, he's okay. Orchestra sounds perfect, the way they play introduction from act II (before cantiamo) they give this fragment all justice - all other recordings make it sound flat but here the whole character of this characteristic part comes out.

Carreras sings great but he is the only bright star here. I can't say I liked Ricciarelli's Adina, nor the orchestra which sounds flat all the way and doesn't expose all those great rhythms and factures well. There is also Nucci. He, why does he appear on most of these CDs? Because he's the best Belcore to find? CERTAINLY.

Btw, there is some unreleased (apparently) recording with Carreras and other singers from Vienna:

And it seems great. Too bad it's impossible to get.

Pavarotti and Battle make very good pair of main character and especially Pavarotti made me rediscover some fragments. He sings the ending of Dulcamara/Nemorino duet in act I unlike others, he finds a way to cooperate with the other guy and sings softer. Another + for orchestra but none for Dulcamara. And there is Nucci, too, perhaps in his best Belcore incarnation among CDs.

I've written about Pavarotti before. Sutherland doesn't really convice me as Adina but there is one aspect in which this version is superior to previous Pavarotti CD - Dulcamara. I liked this one much better, though overally I'll take the first of Pavarotti CDs over this.

Now the famous DVD. Would you guess? Villazon is great tenor. For today's standards he is exceptional. He has strong, solid voice of unique brand and doesn't sing like anemic. Compared to someone like Alagna he is indeed great singer. I don't think I have to say anything about Netrebko. But I do have to say something about D'Arcangelo. He is the best Dulcamara of all I've heard. Most of them spoil the barcarole and many other parts with silly staccato phrasing and are overacting to achieve bad comic effect. He doesn't do neither yet he is the most convicing, both musically and as a character. And there is the visual aspect. Netrebko and Villazon know each other so well that their performance is so natural and sincere that I could hardly imagine better. Nucci also turns out to be not only great Belcore singer but the actor too. Just look at his gallantery while singing "come Paride vezzoso" - he instantly became my hero. I almost regret that he eventually loose with Nemorino. Also, of all DVDs with Netrebko, this one is perhaps where she looks most remarkably beautiful. Staging. It's good though apparently very old (look to the youtube link at Carreras part).

See less See more
1 5
#7 · (Edited)
THE GUY HATES ME I KNOW BECAUSE HE WROTE "NETREBKO" INSTEAD OF USUAL "ANNA" TO ME

WHY YOU HATE ME SO MUCH BUT SO BE IT I DON'T CARE YOU'RE JUST LIKE YOUR GRANDGRANDGRANDGANDGRANDMOTHER FROM XVTH CENTURY SHE NEVER HANGED OUT WITH LADS FROM OUR CASTLE BUT I'M STRONG I WILL SURVIVE GO GO GO IN THIS WORLD OF ABDONIMATENCE I'M LOOKING FOR HAPPINESS AND BEAUTY CAN YOU DIRECT ME TO IT IS IT ROSSINI

This is my favourite DVD:
Alagna/Gheorghiu usual duet? Basing on what I've heard from them so far I don't dare to bear high hopes but I'll look after this.

#5 ·
I've got two CDs

and I prefer the Carreras. One of my first complete opera purchases & returning to it is like meeting up with a sentimental & much loved friend.

Like most people I love this DVD

And I agree with Aramis about D'Arcangelo, I think he's brilliant on here.

#19 ·
l'elisir d'amore is an opera i find very enjoyable and in the right hands it can be great to watch.

The recordings i have on cd are both of the Alagna recordings -the first with Maria Devia and the seconds with his now ex wife Gheorgiu. I slightly prefer the latter due to the sound- it blooms more and i prefer the conducting of Eveline Pido -i actually rate him very highly in Donizetti.

On DVD i enjoy the Alagna and Gheorgiu version with Simone Alaimo a terrific Dulcamara. I also enjoy the old Met production with Pavarotti and Kathleen Battle. Actually she is superb in this production. Dulcamara is the Enzo Dara who looks mad and i find Juan Pons a slight let down. Pavarotti in particular floats some beautiful high notes and i love the scene where he takes his first drink.

And finally i would say the Paris DVD on the Belair label with Heidi Grant Murphy, Paul Groves, Laurent Naouri. A terrific cast and wonderful simple sets. This for me is the best of the lot. I really enjoyed the interaction between Heidi Grant Murphy and Paul Groves. This is one of those operas i always watch on a long plane journey-since it is so watchable.

Have yet to see the Glyndebourne DVD and have not seen either of the DVDs with Villazon. I just worry he is going to shout through everything and pull those silly faces. If it is as bad as his Manon with Netrebko i won't be buying it.

#20 ·
Just bought a dvd on the dynamic.it label of Elisir with ilvia Dalla Benetta (Adina), Raùl Hernández (Nemorino), Damiano Salerno (Belcore), Alex Esposito (Il Dottor Dulcamara). Not enjoying it much so far, wooden acting (point to the audience) provincial production and a less than pleasing Nemorino. Still some way to go yet but i don't hold out much hope.

#24 · (Edited)
best recording is Molinari-Pradelli EMI, Gedda, Freni, et al.

get it before you can't.

#33 ·
Since Bergonzi and Taddei are mentioned just above...

I prefer the opera uncut, but my two favorite recordings are heavily cut, with the Serafin (as was often his wont) being cut even beyond the usual traditional version.

First we have four voices that are all unique, distinctive, and exude the sunshine of the Italian landscape. Plus, Taddei simply is Dulcamara and Panerai and the young Alva are perfect for their roles. Also, we get the lovely Carteri as an Adina with character and a substantial voice to boot!

Second this MET broadcast where one gets Carlo Bergonz in his absolute prime which includes the "Una furtiva lagrima" of ones dreams (the gold standard performance for this aria) with a fine supporting cast of MET regulars:

For more complete performances: Sutherland/Pavarotti and Alagna/Devia. I don't own Battle/Pavarotti but that has its moments as well.

#40 ·
HMMMM

This is thread to write about Elisir's you've heard and share your impressions. I've checked most of famous recordings of it and I'm wondering if I've missed any notable rendition. I shall share my thoughts on those I've heard so far in case anyone would consider extending his Elisir collection.

I has these:

Carreras sings great but he is the only bright star here. I can't say I liked Ricciarelli's Adina, nor the orchestra which sounds flat all the way and doesn't expose all those great rhythms and factures well. There is also Nucci. He, why does he appear on most of these CDs? Because he's the best Belcore to find? CERTAINLY.

).
Another one who was removed from the catalog in less then a few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.