Classical Music Forum banner

Donizetti on CD

10K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  SixFootScowl 
#1 ·
It's quite dumb that there are special threads for major composers on DVD but only one for them all when it comes to CD. Here is first attempt to change it and start series of threads for each major opera composer and CD recordings of his stuff.

I've just listened again to this wonderful CD with wonderful cover and wonderful cast, all wonderful with little exception of Mr. Tagliavini. I don't want to be nasty or something but really, he spoils the recording like ten thousand bedgers spoil Swedish plantation of tabacco. Is this kind of voice to be paired with Callas on one of her best recordings, one of her rare good quality studio CDs? I switched to recording with Carreras in last scene to hear Edgardo's last scene in the same quality as I've heard Lucia's. Tagliavini isn't that terrible but really, if I get great recording I want it to be great all the way, not with one irritating exception. Btw, today I've noticed that there is Ładysz out there - what a surprise it was for me, to find this guy which I remember singing obscure arias of Moniuszko on some of the most significant recordings of XXth century.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, I've been thinking of separating the CD posts by composer, specially now that the sub-froum got CD included in the title.
But it's so much work... [Alma, lazy]

#12 ·
I started a cycle* of listening to this today

I'd forgotten just how fabulous this is. On my way home I stood watching magpies 'mobbing' a kestrel just as Cesare Siepi was singing Ah! cedi, cedi. Magic.

*I plug into an opera on my mp3 & when it reaches the end I start it off again. I continue to do this for about a week or until I want a different one.

#13 ·
So. I got CD of Don Pasquale with two characters which didn't truely satisfy me on DVD with Netrebko and Kwiecień replaced but still with that pair. Don Pasquale is sung by Alaimo and the tenor geezer is created by Florez. Now, that's perfect.

#16 ·
Can't find it, I have two recordings with Bonyge and Pavarotti and they are live, I guess (could such bad sounds quality come from studio?).

I've just listened to Damrau/Florez recording from Met (2010) and it's great, I like Damrau more than Dessay and prefer how Florez sing those high C's in Mes Amis more like staccato. But I wouldn't say it's clearly better recording than the one with Dessay.

#18 · (Edited)
Anyone care to recommend a good Anna Bolena to me? I've heard some of the Callas/Gavazzeni and wasn't overly impressed (however I'm willing to be persuaded on it, if someone has a strong view)

I was thinking of getting this one, based on Amazon reviews:

I've seen criticism elsewhere that Sills ornamentation distracts from it's Donizetti authenticity, though.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

#19 · (Edited)
Anyone care to recommend a good Anna Bolena to me? I've heard some of the Callas/Gavazzeni and wasn't overly impressed (however I'm willing to be persuaded on it, if someone has a strong view)

I was thinking of getting this one, based on Amazon reviews:

I've seen criticism elsewhere that Sills ornamentation distracts from it's Donizetti authenticity, though.
Sills is best modern sound version, best to get the cheaper Brilliant Label release......
Love the dramatic style of Sills here, why do we want bland straight singing Donizzetti's bel canto style is meant to showcase individual singers imagination and ornamentation skills....doesn't seem excessive to me but some people don't like to get excited

I love the EMI Callas performance, but it is live 1957 recording so has limited sound quality
For me it is one of her great dramatic performances also available on Divina label with improved sound and large media file with 300+ rare Callas photos etc

http://www.divinarecords.com/catalogue/cata18.htm

Here is youtube sample from BJR vinyl, Divina label uses BJR master tape donated to them:

#21 ·
I was able to get the Sills "three queens" CD trifecta much cheaper seperately than the very expensive 7 CD boxset with some help from Brilliant Label since two of them are now sold as budget price releases, just watched the great new Netrebko/Garanca Anna Bolena blu ray makes me even bigger Donizetti fan

#24 · (Edited)
Would you recommend the Sills Roberto Devereux as best? I would think a darker voice would be pre-requisite?
You bring up a valid point to consider with any Sills recording, she has an agile brilliant but light toned voice. There really aren't many studio choices to consider I only know the Sills and Gruberova

Other singers have live versions but then sound quality becomes an issue

#25 ·
I thought the Sills Anna Bolena was really good - enjoyed it very much. My only gripe would be the tenor arias from Stuart Burrows. He was fine in ensemble, but I found the falsetto very off-putting in solo, so I supplemented by downloading the individual track by Jerry Hadley (from the Sutherland recording) for "Nel veder la tua costanza"

Very happy with it though and would add my recommendation.

#33 ·
Looking for L'Elisir D'Amore

Coming in February my local opera house is staging L'elisir D'amore (this will be my first live opera). I'd like to get a good copy to listen to beforehand. I know the most famous aria "una furtiva lagrima." So what would you recommend? I noted the following:

Sutherland/Pavarotti/Bonynge
Human Human body Organism Dress Art

Alagna/Gheorghiu/Pido
Product Publication Font Material property Electronic device

Freni/Gedda/Molinari-Pradelli
Product Publication Font Book Advertising

Battle/Pavarotti/Levine
Smile Gesture Font Publication Happy

Freni/Alva/Cillario from Glyndebourne
Jaw Sleeve Gesture Tie Hat

#39 ·
Coming in February my local opera house is staging L'elisir D'amore (this will be my first live opera). I'd like to get a good copy to listen to beforehand. I know the most famous aria "una furtiva lagrima." So what would you recommend?
Great first opera to see live!! Hope you enjoy it.

I've got the Sutherland/Pavarotti/Bonynge which I like and also this one

And this is a good version on DVD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.