Classical Music Forum banner

Who's the best Fiordiligi?

6K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Marc 
#1 ·
Rewatching my Così, it strikes me that Fiordiligi gets some rather tough arias (great big intervals). Which singers do you think sing this part particularly well? DVD preferred but CD would work.

#2 · (Edited)
As I was looking around this forum, I came across this thread which had no responses in nine years! So, I thought I'd revive it and see where it goes.

My first Fiordiligi on records was Elisabeth Schwarzkopf in the Böhm recording on EMI. Later on I got the Lombard recording with Kiri Te Kanawa. My first live performance was graced by Pilar Lorengar, and later Alexandra Deshorties whom I loved in the role.

This is my favorite excerpt, with Margaret Price. This is the scene and aria. The aria proper starts at about 2:44

#4 ·
Schwarzkopf gets my vote. The Bohm EMI recording is so close to perfect that I almost don't need another one. The Jacobs is the other main set that I own. Schwarzkopf certainly sings the part well (although I can imagine that other sopranos may sing the coloratura better due to having more supple voices). However, what sets Schwarzkopf apart is her characterization. She is the sister who crumbles last and no other singer quite manages to convey the icy haughtiness as appropriately.

N.

#11 · (Edited)
She was beautiful as well. When I heard her recordings, though, I found that her voice didn't record as well as the reviews promised. Maybe it's my ears, but I found her voice (in Vier letzte lieder) somewhat sharp, not as creamy. Perhaps it was the recording, or remastering. I liked her better in Arabella and excerpts from Der Rosenkavalier with Anneliese Rothenberger.

#27 · (Edited)
Some very good performers have already been mentioned here. In this role I like Pilar Lorengar (Solti), Margaret Price (Klemperer), Kiri Te Kanawa (Lombard & Levine) and Miah Persson (Fischer, Glyndebourne DVD) a lot.

And it's a pity that, as far as I know, Lucia Popp never did an entire studio recording as Fiordiligi. During her career, she developed herself from a coloraturo soprano to a lyric soprano to a more dramatic soprano, so this part might have suited her very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.