Classical Music Forum banner

Your favorite mass

85K views 221 replies 136 participants last post by  PathfinderCS 
#1 · (Edited)
What are your favorite masses?

My favorites are: Rossini's Petite Messe Solennelle, Beethoven's Op. 86 and Op. 123, Messe de Notre Dame, Bach's Mass in B minor, Puccini's Messa, Mozart's Great Mass K. 427 and Palestrina's Missa ***** sum, Missa Papae Marcelli and Missa Viri Galilaei. Victoria's Missa Gaudeamus.
Haydn's Nelson Mass.

#2 ·
If we are not including Requiem settings then I'd go for Bach's in B minor (his shorter mass settings are also delightful), Mozart's K427, Schubert's no. 6, Bruckner's (mature) no. 3 and, from more modern times, the masses of Hindemith and Stravinsky.

#15 ·
Liszt is surely one of those composers I need to delve into further. In a way I think that with the exception of Chopin, Schubert... and if you include him, Beethoven, the early Romantic composers as a whole are somewhat underrated: Liszt, Berlioz, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Weber, etc...

#14 ·
My fav masses are:

1. Moz in c minor
2. Moz requiem
3. Bach b minor
4. Beet missa solemnis
5. Pergolesi stabat mater

My first encounter with the C minor mass is one of those key moments in life. It also made me aware how necessary is live performance where choirs are concerned if you want the full impact. It was a few years after I really got into M but I did not really know the c minor. It was a university perf and the choir was massive. You would never think a univ choir could be so good. The Gloria just blew my head off - almost literally. I can hear it even now. Pity M never completed it - but even so - my favourite mass it remains.

#16 ·
Among my favorite "masses":

Monteverdi- Mass for four voices; Mass for Six voices 'In Illo Tempore'
Palestrina- Missa Ave Maria; Missa Hodie Christus natus est; Missa Papae Marcelli; Missa brevis
Allegri- Miserere
Pergolesi- Stabat Mater
Guillaume Dufay- Missa Ave Maris Stella
Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber- Missa Salisburgenis; Missa Bruxellenis; Missa Christi Resurgentis
Jan Dismas Zelenka- Missa Votiva ZWV 18
Charpentier- Te Deum et Messe de Minuit-
J.S. Bach- Mass in B minor
J.C. Bach- Missa da Requiem
Joseph Haydn- Missa in Angustiis ("Nelson Mass"); Missa Cellensis in honorem Beatissimae Virginis Mariae ("Cäcilienmesse"); Missa in tempore belli ("Mass In Time of War" aka "Paukenmesse"); Theresienmesse; Harmoniemesse
Michael Haydn- Missa pro defuncto Archiepiscopo Sigismundo; Missa Sanctae Ursulae
W.A. Mozart- Coronation Mass; Great Mass in C-minor; Requiem Mass
Luigi Cherubini- Requiem in C minor for Mixed Chorus; Mass in C
L.v. Beethoven- Messe in C; Missa Solemnis
Gioachino Rossini- Petite Messe solennelle
Franz Schubert- Mass in A flat Major, D 678; Mass in E flat major, D 950;
Verdi- Requiem Mass
Berlioz- Requiem mass; Messe Solennelle
Gounod- Messe solennelle de Sainte Cécile
Gabriel Faure- Requiem Mass
Johannes Brahms- Ein Deutsches Requiem
Bruckner- Mass nos. 1-3
Dvořák- Requiem Mass; Stabat Mater
Herbert Howells- Hymnus Paradisi, An English Mass, Missa Sabrinensis, Requiem
Maurice Duruflé- Requiem
Benjamin Britten- War Requiem
Frank Martin- Mass
Arvo Pärt- Berliner Messe
John Tavener- Requiem
John Rutter- Requiem
James MacMillan- Mass; Miserere
David Briggs- Mass for Notre Dame
Pascal Dusapin- Requiems

Of course there all all the other related genre of sacred choral works: Stabat mater, Magnificat, Miserere, passions, motets, Te Deum, Gloria, Ave Maria, Vespers, various oratorios, etc...

Reactions: chu42
#18 ·
I'd say that my favorites are that of Cherubini, Bach, Ockeghem, and Josquin. Bach's b minor mass, I would consider the standard of excellence. The level of polish and symmetry, the parodies, and the theological synthesis between the Lutheran cross and Catholic reverence, drives it up to the top in terms of religious music. Most masses will give me a genuine religious experience, but not one as substantial as Bach produces.

#22 ·
What about Michael Haydn's requiem?

AKA: Missa pro defuncto Archiepiscopo Sigismundo... on my list. Member HarpsichordConcerto led me to that marvelous work on this disc:

Handel dixit dominus?

Well... it's not actually a "mass" but rather a psalm setting... but it is one of my favorite choral works.

As always, you demonstrate fairly even tendencies across large spans of time.

Perhaps more-so in this genre than some others... because I'm a real choral music fanatic. Vocal music is my passion... and choral music above all else... perhaps even opera.

#24 ·
Machaut - Messe de Notre-Dame;
Josquin Desprez - Missa Pange Lingua;
Palestrina - Missa Papae Marcelli, Missa Viri Galilaei ;
J.Ockeghem - Requiem;
Bach - Mass in B minor, Mass in F;
Mozart - Great Mass in C-minor, Requiem, Coronation Mass;
Cherubini - Requiem;
Beethoven - Missa Solemnis/Mass in C;
Faure - Requiem;
Dvorak - Stabat Mater;
Bruckner - Mass No. 2;
Arvo Part - Missa Syllabica/Berliner Mass;

#25 ·
This thread has become something like "which is your favourite choral work". Requiem, Stabat Mater and some more are different subgenres of choral music.
From the actual Masses, the Bach's Great Mass in b minor is a colossal work of perfect writing. Mozart's Great Mass in c minor is also a monumental work. Schubert's in A flat is a superb work and the one in E flat a true substantive masterpiece of grand scale.
The rest may follow...

Principe

#30 ·
Sven-David Sandström produced an unusual modern High Mass. Delius' Mass of Life while no longer very modern is quite a departure from the normal, although I didn't like it much. Bernstein's mass is another whole mass of crazy with bongos, banjos and bottles.

Apparently Dave Brubeck has written a mass coooool have to find the whole of that sometime

On a more traditional note Josef Rheinberger's sacred works are worth hearing, seems he made 12 masses, not many are are recorded though I think.

Strange requiem masses seem quite common including the Requiem of Reconciliation written by 14 composers which sounds like one of those games of consequences where you write a story without knowing how the story is written so far. Also this looks interesting, Leonardo Balada's agnostic requiem.

Font Cross Symbol Poster Brand

#31 ·
Since the thread keeps being "the most favourite choral work" and since "Requiems" seem to be an easy way out in preference, some of the least known on the two sides of the spectrum:
From the very early ones, you may try the newly released by Hyperion Richafort's Requiem. A work of luxuriant and spectacular choral writing leading to the metaphysic and meditation.
In the same period, Du Caurroy's Requiem: Excess of austerity, but with a large palette of vocal and instrumental beauty.
For the more contemporary (for our Clive):
Try Greif's Requiem (of 1999): a modern masterpiece!
In the same vein, Bussotti's The Rara Requiem (1969): a meditation on the beauty and the fragility, the life and the death through the charm of music, the mystery and the quality of the timbres and the sonorities. All these in the austerity of a writing strictly atonal!

There are some thousands of Requiems only. As for the Masses, forget it. Life is short.

Principe

#33 ·
Ropartz's Requiem is a very French as for the harmonies and its "colours", subscribing both to the double foundation of Berlioz and Faure. Quite strict, since it never distracts the listener from the sacred text which is the source, the means and the end.
Another great, or at least quite interesting, Requiem is the one of Weinberg (in a recent recording on NEOS).
In a different vein, Bob Chilcott's Requiem (composed in 2010) is a marvel of beautiful, melodic and almost entirely tonal work. It exists on Hyperion.
More to follow, if anyone is interested.

Principe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.