Classical Music Forum banner

Requiems - Your favorites

18K views 104 replies 63 participants last post by  wolf 
#1 ·
Hi,

This is the place to list your favorite Requiems. I only currently own 2 recordings, and would like to get more, so with your help, it will give me some ideas. :)

I have both Mozart's Requiem K. 626 and Brahms' German Requiem.

In March 2008, I get to hear a live performance of Verdi's Requiem, which I'm not familiar with, but hear so many great things about.

I also hear Faure's Requiem is good.

Bring on your recommendations! :D

#2 ·
I want to hear Saint-Saens'. It was on the radio a couple of days ago, but I didn't have the time to sit and listen.

G
#3 ·
Alas, I know only four requiems:

Mozart’s, Verdi’s, Faure’s, and Duruflé’s.

There are all very beautiful, even… Duruflé’s!, which is, in my view, inspired by the Gregorian requiem, but as depressing as the gregorian one is optimistic…

I’m also very curious to hear some others. I’ll take good notes of your suggestions…

G
#6 ·
Berlioz
Dvorak
Ligeti
Henze

I'm not saying anything about their quality relative to the other requiems mentioned so far, just adding them to the list.

I like the Berlioz the best, for what that's worth.*

*About two cents

#11 ·
Hello ChamberNut from Winnipeg.. home of the Bombers. And everyone else on this board. It is my first post.

Verdi's Requiem is indeed a wonderful piece of music, and like many on this board, I have Mozart's, Faure’s, and Duruflé’s. You are fortunate to have tickets to hear Verdi's Requiem.

Last month, the Canadian Opera Company celebrated, musically, the life of Richard Bradshaw where among other glorious pieces of music heard, the chorus sang a portion of Die Irae from Mozart's Requiem as its last piece. All favourites of Richard Bradshaw. There was not a dry eye in the house: including some members of the chorus who brushed away tears as the bravo's rang out. At Aaron's memorial service, his friends came together to sing Lacrimosa from Mozart's. I wept there too.

No matter how many times I listen to other requiems, I frequently return to Mozart's. I must hear comfort there.

#14 ·
My God! I'm glad someone made this thread!

I love requiems, it seems that composers really try their best with them.
A few of my top faves are:
Mozart's in D minor
Brahm's German requiem
Faure
Duruflé
Verdi

Reactions: TurnaboutVox
#21 ·
I might have fallen for it had I heard it a long time ago, but now, having head the original, it doesn't make an impression on me. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
For you, Morigan ;) ...yes, Faure.

Britten's War Requiem as well

I seem to recall Durufle was quite good also, but its quite a few years since I've heard it.

But Faure's Requiem is tops in my book for sure.

~ josh

#28 ·
Well I guess I'll chirp in with my top 3:

Fauré
Berlioz
Duruflé

I have a recording with both the Fauré and Duruflé by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra conducted by Robert Shaw... quite good (it's on Telarc).

Also, my first blog entry at my classical music blog was about the Fauré Requiem and Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. Check it out here.

#29 ·
Biber
Mozart

I would like to discover those by Michael Haydn, especially the unfinished one (his last work. Does this ring a bell to you :D )

#30 ·
Fauré and Mozart, in that order. I really must listen to more, and I'd love to actually have recordings of them. Accursed college budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.