Classical Music Forum banner

Ridiculous Recitals

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Ravndal 
#1 ·
I was just thinking back on my experience at the IDRS (International Double-Reed Society) last summer. I attended many of the recitals there and my gosh, were some of them nutty. The worst was probably when a man took out his iPhone and out a drone on, then began playing random whole notes over top of the drone. He did this for twenty minutes and took a bow....I was so confused. Another one I can remember was called "Cats in the Kitchen." It was a flute and oboe duet....they turned on a recording of breaking dishes and cats yowling while playing sixteenth note runs. Another bewildering performance.

So, what are the strangest recitals you've attended? What left you completely at a loss for words?

#2 ·
I went to an experimental recital once. It had this piece played by a guy doing circular breathing on sax which went on for ages. Sounded like he was playing the one note. I found it very annoying. However that did not stop me from going to these sorts of things when I feel like it. I've still heard some great music at these types of recitals. But as I get older I'm finding its not my thing any more, or not as much as it was.

#3 ·
I don't understand why it is "ridiculous", it is just music that challenges the listeners perception of what music can be. This is not a new phenomenon, contemporary music of any era throughout history has been met with contempt and misunderstanding by it's contemporary audiences.

You don't have to like it, but without people who try to expand the possibilities of their instrument and/or music the musical universe will implode under the conservative historicist cultural-musical paradigm that the "average" music-lover prefer. We'd still be sitting in our stone age cultural cave knocking stones together, there would be no progress if the crazy buggers did not challenge our collective perceptions on what is good and possible!

/ptr

#4 ·
They don't have to be ridiculous to everyone, I just find the two I mentioned to be ridiculous. I appreciate efforts to expand the capabilities of instruments and music, but I don't embrace all of it. I enjoyed many of the contemporary recitals there, these two just left me disturbed lol. Perhaps the thread title could have been chosen with a less-harsh name but it was late and I was tired :p oh well. It could be: Mind Boggling Recitals

#8 ·
I believe that both Hilltroll72 and hreichgott are proving my point amply by defending conservative historicist cultural-musical paradigm! I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with loving history, but rather that the passion for music of the past is at best leaving us with Status Quo that most often only moves backwards!

I love history but I quite detest any thought of moving backwards!

/ptr

#11 ·
Of course there is always the quaint idea that one should be allowed to listen to exactly what one wishes--to hell with the pig iron music! But you may listen to it day and night my friend.

#9 ·
There was no musical phrase, musical direction, or any emotion in either performance. It could hardly be called anything but "sound." If that appeals to some people, that's great. It just isn't for me. The topic is about strange, odd, or otherwise unusual recitals you have attended, whether you thought them "ridiculous" or not. Let's return to the topic. Deepest apologies for my use of the word ridiculous.

#22 ·
... The worst was probably when a man took out his iPhone and out a drone on, then began playing random whole notes over top of the drone. He did this for twenty minutes and took a bow....I was so confused. Another one I can remember was called "Cats in the Kitchen." It was a flute and oboe duet....they turned on a recording of breaking dishes and cats yowling while playing sixteenth note runs. Another bewildering performance.

It is just talentless muck, masquerading as "art".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.