Classical Music Forum banner

Johannes Brahms Piano Sonata no. 1

5K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Jacred 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone. This is my first post, so I'm hoping to learn a lot here. Thank you to all the people who make this website possible.

That said, lately I have been listening to Brahms' first piano sonata. It has become one of my favorite pieces. Does anyone else really like this sonata? What kind of feeling/emotion do you think Brahms was trying to express in this piece?

#2 ·
I like his first two piano sonatas, the third I'm not as fond of. I'm not one to really analyze music, and I don't know these sonatas well, having listened to each just once. But as a Brahms afficionado, I intend to own the first two at some point, the third I'll give a few more listens.

#3 ·
I don't like them.. sorry :( but I found Brahms solo piano works uninspiring.. :((

#7 ·
I, like another poster, have yet to be captivated by Brahm's solo piano work. But, I am going to listen to this later to give it another shot. Any chance you have a youtube clip you would recommend? I can't justify buying it at this point.

#12 ·
As a composer I can say and I think with some level of confidence (although always take it with a grain of salt), composers who aim for emotion as the subject of creation always fail to deliver but having read many biographies and knowing many other composers and artists I think the aim is generally nothing outside of the realm of musicality. We know what sounds create delight and though it may be originally inspired by emotion, music (especially older music like Brahms) is meticulously constructed not unlike an architect. However somehow through our relation to these tones the emotion comes through but it is completely subjective. A composer cannot hope to send a definite emotion but WHATEVER YOU FEEL IS WHAT HE INTENDED. Though Brahms was the gracious facilitator the music belongs to all of us in the end and it is whatever you make of it. That I think is very beautiful.

#15 ·
The first sonata definitely has a sense of grandeur to it (thick chords, sweeping dynamics). That being said, it's not what comes to mind when I think of a "Brahms masterpiece." Rather, the first piano sonata was, for the young Brahms, a formative exploration of the process of writing for solo piano.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.