Classical Music Forum banner

Schubert's last Quartet

6K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  GKC 
#1 ·
When i started listening to Schubert's string quartets fifteen years ago, it always was the No.12-14 and of course the quintet. For some reason, i did not know the No.15 in G existed. 6 months ago i stumble upon it and listened a couple of times. I was overwhelmed by the powerful force it had. I am no expert in string quartets, but i feel it is something very different about it, except the choice of key, being between the No.14 d-minor and the quintet.
Can someone shed some historic light on this work, or have some other opinion of it. Personally i think i'ts a remarkable work. :tiphat:

#2 ·
don't worry, after repeated listenings it will become boring and you will resort to listening to Beethoven, Mozart and Mendelssohn's quartets. The problem with the number 15 is that it is not perfect, it was moving into a direction that Schubert hadn't properly mastered. If Schubert had written 2 more quartets he would have mastered this new direction and the last quartet would have been the supreme in the genre.

#4 ·
The final movement always struck me as second-rate Beethoven; this is not a reaction I typically have to anything Schubert composed. Perhaps I just don't "get it", but my experience was exactly that just laid out by Scipio: I quickly became bored with the whole of it and turned back to Beethoven, Mendelssohn, etc.

I may yet learn to enjoy it.

#6 · (Edited)
Personally I think some responses here are ridiculous. I find the 15th Quartet to be a complete masterwork which I can listen to again and again. I find it holds up much more to repeated listening than Death and the Maiden, even though that is a great quartet as well. For Schubert the pattern of quality is very clear to me: Quintet>#15>#14>>#13. The live performances that I have heard of #15 have been stunning and clearly blew the audience away.

And I love Beethoven, Mozart, Mendelssohn, and Haydn (!) quartets as well, no disrespect to any of those...

#7 ·
I find the 15th Quartet to be a complete masterwork which I can listen to again and again. I find it holds up much more to repeated listening than Death and the Maiden, even though that is a great quartet as well.
Agree totally. DATM gets tedious with Schubert wringing every last drop of revenue out of the theme. The 15th, to my ears, is far the greater work.

#9 ·
Alfred Einstein writes in his book of Schubert: (Conveniently called "Schubert") "The first movement, in particular, is entirely dependent upon the interplay of harmonic light and shade, upon the interchange of major and minor within the narrowest compass." Is not these kind of interchange almost a kind signature of Schuberts works?

#12 ·
I will be posting my response here tomorrow.. it will be epic!

http://www.talkclassical.com/24931-schubert-string-quartet-15-a.html

D.887 is one of my favorite masterpieces of Schubert. In my opinion, it is his greatest accomplishment on the genre, even superior to the already excellent, Death and the Maiden quartet. It is one of his most innovative pieces, anticipating the style of Bruckner. The use of tremolos on this work is highly distinctive and the unique interplay of major/minor on the four movements is exhilarating to behold. Even though this is the least popular of his late quartets, D.887 should rank among the "must-hear" to those exploring Schubert's music.

In a unique approach to sonata form, Schubert seems to co-evolve both theme areas in successive waves as each interrupts the other while internally growing more elaborate. Far more "development" happens in the traditional areas of exposition and recapitulation than the literal development section itself, which is relatively brief by comparison. Instead, there is contrast, expansion and variation in an endless matrix of sudden contrasts in modality, texture, dynamics, rhythm and mood. It is not until the last few bars that the battle finally yields to a briefly stable victory for G Major.

#14 · (Edited)
This is my favorite string quartet! The first three movements are perfection, and as much as I love the crazed last movement I must admit it doesn't hold up as well as the preceding three.

The 4th movement reminds me a little of one of those outraged parodies Beethoven was fond of (Hammerklavier's scherzo, Op.110 II), but after the intensity of the first three movements it feels a bit anticlimactic. Schubert should have written his own Grosse Fugue** as a finale. :( (However, the moment when the second theme comes back as a song toward the middle is just sublime.)

**Can you imagine? A 6/8 tarantella-fugue based on the Wanderer theme, which gets almost atonal, and in the middle section, a calm, a sudden shift into C-major cello solo and then... doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo dooo dooo.

Ok, perhaps not the best of ideas.

#18 · (Edited)
I definitely prefer the more subtle and nuanced playing style than say, the mango store shop wares being all exposed like the Emerson Quartet or other supergroups which give us everything and leave us feeling nothing. The Quartetto Italiano double CD of the Schubert last four string quartets is perhaps the first recommendation: this is one of my favourite recordings and the bargain price does not detract from the sonorously sweet and balanced playing of this legendary quartet. The other gem I.ve heard raved, but still not heard, is the Takacs Quartet version...maybe someone who has referenced this against the Quartetto Italiano classic know.

The Prazak Quartet is quite expensive however paired with the not oft recorded string trio for Schubert afficienados. Better digital recording. The pace is not as fast as the Taneyev Quartet version which is rather breathlessly mesmerising, rather than effortlessly gliding.

Alternatively the Prazak is free on:

:)

so the Quartetto Italiano it is: not a single disparaging review of this disc has survived or stood the test of time as well as these first class recordings and performances.

#29 ·
The Quartetto Italiano double CD of the Schubert last four string quartets is perhaps the first recommendation: this is one of my favourite recordings and the bargain price does not detract from the sonorously sweet and balanced playing of this legendary quartet.....
I own this set and completely agree with the recommendation.

Schumann referred to the "heavenly length" of Schubert's 9th symphony and the same description applies to Schubert's final extraordinary string quartet.

#19 ·
#24 ·
Dumbo Daily Kos:
Very affecting.
Well, cardiothoracic metaphors from the Dumbo Daily Kos aren't always well phrased.

But Schubert's music is!

Which interpretation of the string quintet is the most popular? I'm out on a (rare) limb with my version by the Aeolian Quartet. Anyone acquired the brilliant Petersen Quartet version yet? This quartet from Germany have started an excellent traversal of the Ernest Krenek cycle which I'm really enjoying. I see their Schubert D956 version is out on release now....something which I think I should update my vinyl LP to. I'm not interested in the Takacs rather beastly approach to such poignant music although apart from the Melos & Emerson Quartets, who else is there?

#26 ·
I have the Busch recording, I think its the current best available. The second one is Alban Berg Quartet for its observing of all the repeats.. :)

#27 ·
Frustratingly, my Busch Quartet recordings of the Schubert string quartets omit the string quintet! I must have bought a bum re-issue without realising (and it was full price too).

The Alban Berg Schubert Quintet reading is one of their stronger less antiseptic efforts. It certainly deserves a mention. Like some overly long masterpieces (Franck's string quartet; Taneyev's no 42 minute ditty), it may not have made it into the classical pop recorded repertoire as quickly as its merits deserve. Now there is one quartet which I *think* recorded this: the Taneyev Quartet. I have their later collection of Schubert String Quartets which are fascinating readings - very left of the centre from the Busch Quartet, although sadly only up to string quartet D887 no.XV. The quintet, may or may not have been recorded for Melodiya on the back of the standard Taneyev Quintet (string and piano quintets) but I've never found this in print.

Guess I should try and whip up the market and go fish for a Petersen Quartet version.

Here's the premier of the Taneyev Quartet in the USA ... back in ... 1987! Their striking character as a string quartet really left a lasting legacy. If only some clever guy would reissue all of their recordings now ...

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/02/arts/music-the-taneyev-string-quartet.html

#28 ·
Having given this quartet much attention for the string quartets list, it really is one of the absolute finest, for me. The succession of masterworks Schubert wrote for chamber strings (including the Quintet) is remarkable.

The first movement is particularly great, imo. I mentioned this in the Composer of the month thread -- the way that he never fully commits to either the major or minor, how he weaves those rich themes in and out of one another, the way he uses tremolo to ornament tender moments yet using it also to create those passages of persistent violence ... extraordinary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.