Classical Music Forum banner

Music theory forum.

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mstar 
#1 · (Edited)
I ask this: Would be a good idea to add a "Music theory" forum in the section "Instrument and Technique"?.

Because it's becoming an usual practice the derailment of threads in the "Classical Music Discussion" forum to really dense, dry (if not pedantic...), and long discussions about music theory. I don't have a problem with those discussions per se, but the "Classical Music Discussion" forum is really the main forum of this site, suitable for general discussions about classical music repertoire and related topics. Discussions which new members or non-professionals of classical music can understand and follow.
Also, it would be nice to have all these discussions about music theory organized.
I mean, it would be nice to have a place for discussing music theory. I myself have derailed threads because of topics in music theory I found interesting.
Also, many non-professionals are often interested in music theory. A place where they can ask their questions, or to look if that question has been discussed before would be also nice.
For all those reasons, I propose the creation of this new forum.

#5 ·
As of my last run-in, or tete a tete re: theory postings, I think it a brilliant idea and strongly second it as a request to the Forum's owner and founder. That would be the place for those drier discussions, which some revel in, others care nothing about.

It might also include a sub-category, about acoustics, psycho-acoustics, and all those matters regarding various tunings systems -- another rarified interest for the very few.

Great idea, Great Proposal.

ADD; I think a group would be too exclusive, and it should be instead a very visible and permanent category of its own - and NOT connected to the young composers, that, to me, a place to listen to and discuss actual works, not theory in general.

#6 ·
I agree with this proposal as well.

I think that it doesn't mean that people should be averse to mentioning theory in main CM threads, but the long discussions which aleazk refers to (which I by and large find quite interesting) should probably be relegated to a different forum.

I think it will promote discussion of theory as well, and that there are a number of people who have interest in the topic, and varying levels of expertise, to make a theory forum as lively as any of the other minor forum areas (non-CM and non-Community Forum).

Great idea!

#7 ·
I have ideas for threads that would be very suitable for music theory forums. I'd like to know if the forum staff have taken the idea into consideration, we've had a ballet forum created recently, would it be possible to create a theory one too? From my understanding of the site there are places to talk about composers, classical music repertoire, listening to classical music, recordings, performers, performances and so on, but not any specific place to talk about all the things that make up a composition, the rules and formulas and many other things linked with music theory.

A lot of music theory threads that are posted in Classical Music Discussion can end up being either misunderstood or only a small number of comments are posted and the thread is forgotten about in favour of talking about composers, their works and recordings of their works. It would definitely benefit these threads if they were moved to a suitable place for that very topic and also easily accessible to anyone wishing to participate in discussion on the topic. Not a group, too selective and not visible enough as PetrB said, but a forum. This will encourage more discussion and also answer questions to members of TC who would like to know more about the construction of music and even non-members who just happen to walk by looking for answers also. Groups aren't good for this.

Anyway, we haven't heard from the TC Admin what they think of this idea....Kh are you there? TC would benefit from this! Just want to know if you've taken it into consideration because we haven't had a reply yet.

#8 ·
. . . we haven't heard from the TC Admin what they think of this idea . . . Just want to know if you've taken it into consideration because we haven't had a reply yet.
I will bring this up to the staff. It isn't a matter of what "I" think ... these decisions are made collectively from within the forum staff.

We must look at all aspects before adding any new categories, such as:
- forum appearance ... if there are too many categories, it can become confusing and cluttered,
- popularity ... some fora have been created in the past years and activity about ceased after a short while,

Several threads have been created over the years on Music Theory ... Replies have been scant with about 32 replies over 4 threads over a 6 year period which translates to about 5 posts per year average.

There do exist several threads in other areas on Music Theory, in different forum areas:

Music Theory in the Classical Music Forum, (last post 9/12)
Music Theory in the Community Forum (dormant since 2009)
Music Theory in the Orchestral Forum (dormant since 2007)

Those low numbers in posting on the subject (searching on thread titles only) are also taken into consideration.

In defense of the idea, it may be that if those threads were 'centralized' in one area, they might get more activity.

Anyway, we will evaluate the prospect ... please give us some time to do this ... this is vacation/holiday time for many of the staff, and decisions on these matters are made collectively as a team.

#11 ·
The founder is an established composer. I propose the mods bring this request directly to him: his show, but he might more than readily think there is a need and make a place for this. Cut to the chase, go to the top :)

Reactions: mstar
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.