Classical Music Forum banner

I'm confused.

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Novelette 
#1 ·
OK, I've been wondering about this for a long time, but here goes:

I have both books of the Well-Tempered Clavichord. However, two different editors have compiled both collections: my Vol. 1 was edited by Frederic Busoni, and my Vol. 2 was edited by Carl Czerny.
I heard that both books have two different sets of preludes and fugues, but when I look at the Fugue in E-flat Major, it's the same in both books.
My question is: is the E-flat Major Fugue in Book 1 or Book 2 (and if so, is there a missing E-flat Major Fugue that I have not heard of)?
Please help.

#4 ·
Busoni published his edition of the WTC in "volumes." Book I was published in three volumes, Book II in four volumes. The first Busoni "Volume 1" includes the E-flat major prelude and Fugue from Book 1.

The familiar yellow Schirmer WTC is Czerny's edition, available as Book I, Book II, or combined in a single volume ($11.44 at Amazon!) The Schirmer sits on many pianos across the world. I've never heard anything negative about Czerny's edition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.