Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Op. 9, No. 5; Quartet No. 15 in B flat major

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Op. 9, No. 6; Quartet No. 16 in A major

Votes: 1 16.7%

Haydn String Quartets: Opus 9

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  HaydnBearstheClock 
#1 ·
I'm sorry for the long gap. Nevertheless, it happens to mirror the long gap between Haydn writing the op. 2 and op. 9 (hopefully this won't happen every time :p). He wrote the op. 9 in 1769, in what is generally considered his 'Sturm und Drang' period. This isn't apparent in as much as they aren't very 'Sturm und Drang' (apart from the d minor one), however it is evident that it is the same period that Haydn produced so many masterpieces in the symphonic genre (for example, the use of Baroque contrapuntal techniques). And perhaps he produced more in the quartet genre? :)

Anyway, one good thing is that from now on there aren't any confusions about the quartets being arrangements of other works, EXCEPT the minuet of the E flat quartet is also used as the 'aria' in the theme and variations in E flat for piano - a fitting recycling of such a beautiful theme.

As usual, choose your favourite quartet, and comment on the works, recordings etc. The polls are single vote only - so if you particularly love more than one of the quartets then please say so in the thread.

Previous: Opus 1, Opus 2, Opus 3

Next: Opus 17

See less See more
#2 ·
Had to vote for the D minor, a very cool quartet - I really like the contrast between the adagio and the fast and relentless finale. All the movements are really good. I have the Buchberger quartet interpretation of these works. Your post makes me want to listen to these again :D. Honourary mentions: No. 2 in E flat Major, also excellent.

#3 ·
Listened to them by the Aeolian Quartet (the only complete set I own). I particularly liked no.3 and no.5, and the slow movements for these quartets in general. I'm afraid I don't have much more to say, as nothing seemed very memorable but I think that could be partly due to the recording - I'm used to the amazing Quator Mosaiques or the Salomon quartet on period instruments. Are there any complete sets on period instruments?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.