Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Op. 17, No. 5; Quartet No. 22 in G major

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Op. 17, No. 6; Quartet No. 20 in D major

Votes: 1 33.3%

Haydn String Quartets: Opus 17

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  HaydnBearstheClock 
#1 ·
Op. 17 follows on closely from Op. 9, written in 1771. Counterpoint is more evident in these works, and they are written in the heart of the Sturm und Drang period. The Op. 20 is only one year off.

As usual, choose your favourite quartet, and comment on the works, recordings etc. The polls are single vote only - so if you particularly love more than one of the quartets then please say so in the thread.

Previous: Opus 1, Opus 2, Opus 3, Opus 9

Next: Opus 20

#3 ·
Op. 17 follows on closely from Op. 9, written in 1771. Counterpoint is more evident in these works, and they are written in the heart of the Sturm und Drang period. The Op. 20 is only one year off.
[...]
Next: Opus 20
That counterpoint signals the beginning (and the middle) of the end for the divertimento form in the series. For some reason these are my 'least favorite' of the Haydn quartets.

#4 ·
Well I guess these quartets obviously aren't very popular. Nevertheless I consider them one of the best musical discoveries I made in the last few months. In general I consider them a step up from the op. 9, and I enjoy a number of them no less than the ones I like best of the op.9. Nevertheless, my vote was easy; the E major one from first hearing became one of my favourite quartets, and contains one of the most sumptuous slow movements I think I've ever heard. Wonderful piece.

#9 ·
I don't know why, but I just can't seem to get into the Kodaly sound anymore - maybe their sound is too thick, I like a more transparent sound in a quartet. The Kodaly interpretations were the first ones I've heard and were the ones that got me into Haydn quartets, no doubt about it, hm, maybe I need to re-listen to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.