Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Op. 20, No. 5; Quartet No. 23 in F minor

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Op. 20, No. 6; Quartet No. 24 in A major

Votes: 1 5.9%

Haydn String Quartets: Opus 20

8K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  StDior 
#1 · (Edited)
Op. 20 might perhaps reasonably be called the culmination of the Sturm und Drang string quartets. They are a famous set, and very innovative and influential (Beethoven copied them out before, and seemed to have them in mind while, writing his late quartets). In a number of ways they can be said to be looking forward more to the Romantic era (or at least Beethoven) than to the high Classical that followed them. Baroque-style counterpoint is in these quartets even more than the previous ones: three of them have fugal finales. This is also the only set of six quartets (by Haydn) with two in the minor.

As always, choose your favourite quartet, and comment on the works, recordings etc. The polls are single vote only - so if you particularly like more than one of the quartets then please say so in the thread.

Previous: Opus 1, Opus 2, Opus 3, Opus 9, Opus 17

Next: Opus 33

#10 · (Edited)
I agree that these are of an incredibly high quality. I voted for the A major one because I really like the 'pastoral' (I think it's pastoral, I don't really care if it is 'considered to be' or not) quality to it, but I the 'tragic' F minor one, the fun D major one... All of them are excellent, and if I think one isn't it's usually because I haven't listened to it for a while.

#13 ·
Just recognised this poll. All of the Sun Quartets are great. Personally my favorites are the no. 2 and no.3. Slightly slightly I appreciate the the No.2 a bit more. But in a hurry and accidentally I voted for No.3. I feel remorse for it now.
So +1 vote for No.2, -1 vote for No.3.

#22 ·
I agree that masterpiece in the genre, but not agree that far. Op.76 string quartets are equally good. On official lists op.76 is usually even better. Telling the truth, personally I also slightly prefer Op.20. The other Haydn string quartet sets between the Op.20 and Op.76 and after op.76 are also great, not far behind. For me the difference is that Op.20 is natural, coming from soul, Op.76 is a great matured craftsmanship.
I would formulate so that Op.20 and the Op.76, Haydn’s best string quartet sets. And I feel so that the Op.20 itself is a great milestone in the history of the overall classical music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.