Classical Music Forum banner

Haydn sonatas - recommended sets/recordings?

24K views 88 replies 36 participants last post by  Heliogabo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I'd just like to ask if some of you own complete sets of Haydn's sonatas and if so, which ones you'd recommend. I was thinking of getting Walter Olbertz's set or the new set of sonatas by Emanuel Ax on Sony:

Human Publication Art Book Font

Musical instrument Music Musical instrument accessory Keyboard Musician

Would you recommend these recordings?

See less See more
#6 ·
No question the McCabe set.
They are played with great warmth and humanity.
My desert island set.

Reactions: HaydnBearstheClock
#8 ·
Do you mean Jando?...............

G
#10 ·
Brautigam, on BIS, offers not only all the sonatas, but all the solo keyboard music of Haydn. It is, however, on the fortepiano. If that is not a problem for you, I highly recommend it. The sound quality, and the artistic quality, are both excellent. For the piano, though, my choice is Hamelin, even if it is not complete. Still, at 3 volumes, you get quite a bit.

#13 · (Edited)
I wouldn´t go for the Brilliant Classics compilation for sure, which I own. Too uneven, often dull, and rather unengaged.

Haven´t heard McCabe, but I like other recordings by him a lot, really.

Kissin did a good recital, a rather romantic approach http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Sonatas-Haydn/dp/B000002A93

Andsnes too http://www.amazon.com/music/dp/B00000I3V2;

there are some interesting early Gould recordings, a controversial late weird set from him as well, but not a first choice;

Ernst Levy: often engaged, Beethoven-like, if technically uneven playing, and nice group of sonatas, probably available as downloads:

Haven´t heard Sokolov, another highly interesting choice

#14 · (Edited)
The Brilliant set is interesting for Bart Van Oort's contribution I think. I like Sokolov's Haydn very much. Levy, like Richter, is very serious.

If we're moving into the territory of individual CDs, then there are some excellent ones from Yuko Wataya, Robert Hill and Lars Ulrich Mortensen. But best of all in my opinion, is the Haydn from Deszo Ranki. Ranki is for me the greatest Haydn player on modern piano, because he is so aware of the slightly menacing driven quality which surges up from time to time in the music.

Has anyone tried the Haydn sonatas that Zoltan Kocsis recorded? I keep wondering whether to buy that CD. And what about Hamlin's thirs set?

#15 ·
Hello, I'm a satisfied owner of the complete Haydn edition from Brilliant Classics. This edition has perfect and complete pianoforte recordings of all haydn's piano works. You can also buy these piano sonatas and works as a separate box from Brilliant Classics. If you prefer to have recordings with piano and not the pianoforte then I strongly recommend you to buy the piano sonatas by Marc-André Hamelin. He's recordings are truly amazing and pure by sound and intonation.

I hope this was all helpful for you.

#16 ·
Hello, I'm a satisfied owner of the complete Haydn edition from Brilliant Classics. This edition has perfect and complete pianoforte recordings of all haydn's piano works. You can also buy these piano sonatas and works as a separate box from Brilliant Classics. If you prefer to have recordings with piano and not the pianoforte then I strongly recommend you to buy the piano sonatas by Marc-André Hamelin. He's recordings are truly amazing and pure by sound and intonation.

Here is a link to the Hamelin/Haydn sonata recordings: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67554&vw=dc

#41 ·
Thank you for the mentions of Derzhavina - just captivated by my initial introduction to these recordings (via spotify). I have only a couple of Jando CD's which I do like, but the recordings by Derzhavina immediately give the impression to me of being something rather special. Again, thank you. Haydn's piano sonatas seem somehow both more rooted in tradition and yet more enigmatic than his other work, and she seems to capture exactly that spirit. To me they can easily sound more disjointed than say the piano trios, symphonies and quartets. This pianist does not hide it but manages to make everything coherent as well. Can see these becoming real personal favourites.

Reactions: HaydnBearstheClock
#45 ·
I don't own this one (yet :)), but it was recommended a couple of pages back (by both Mandryka and Bulldog) and it sounds like a truly interesting project:

View attachment 38525

Historically informed performance, by the way, if that's important to you ...
Oh yes, I think I've seen a video about the making of the set on YouTube. They had some amazingly precise technology set up for it. Thanks for the tip :D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.