Classical Music Forum banner

Czech string quartets (interpretors )

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  PeterF 
#1 ·
Former Czechoslovakia has always had a flourishing tradition with chamber music .String Quartets like VLACH,JANACEK ,SMETANA quartets often shed new light upon well known chamber composers (Beethoven ) as well as local musicians promoted by their national recording companies (SUPRAPHON ,PANTON ,ETC ).Feel free to express yourself about this rich musical compost.

#7 ·
That's funny because I've been doing the exact same thing. The Supraphon label has some real gems and the sound quality especially a lot of the stuff recorded in the 60's and 70's with the Czech Philharmonic has an amazingly warm sound. Some of the best "sounding" recordings I've ever heard.

#5 · (Edited)
Feel free to express yourself about this rich musical compost.
Should that be rephrased, just perhaps? It reminds me of a headline I saw once in a Japanese industry periodical: "Youth festival shrouded in glee".

BTW more on-topic, I like what I've heard so far in the Stamitz Quartet's super-buy with 15 hours of Czech quartets:

http://www.amazon.com/Czech-String-..._shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377057399&sr=301-1

The Stamitz (or Stamic) Quartet is a Czech quartet founded in 1985.

#10 ·
This past week I played three of the Pavel Haas recordings
Haas #2 "Monkey Mountains" I think that this might have been their first recording, and it is outstanding
Dvorak American Quartet, Not quite as good as I once thought, but still a fine performance
Schuberts "Death and the Maiden", goes right to the top of my list with the Takacs Quartets recording.
Quartetfore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.