Classical Music Forum banner

Haydn and Baroque - Sonata in B minor on harpsichord.

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ramako 
#1 ·
I was just looking around for a good interpretation of the B minor sonata and found this video:

I think this sonata fits the harpsichord better than the pianoforte - it almost sounds like Bach! I think the interpreter, Sabina Chukurova does a great job at showing the contrasts in this work and also its more determined and 'fierce' character.

Opinions? :D

#2 ·
I wonder if it's true that the later sonatas like this were intended for piano. Wikipedia dates this one as quite late -- 1774–76. Beghin uses a piano. Lars Ulrich Mortensen recorded it on a harpsichord -- both very fine performances IMO

Sabina Chukurova's rhythms and phrasing are pretty free and imaginative Good find. I just wonder whether this sonata needs a bit less elegance and a bit more oooomph and zazazoom.

#3 ·
I wonder if it's true that the later sonatas like this were intended for piano. Wikipedia dates this one as quite late -- 1774-76. Beghin uses a piano. Lars Ulrich Mortensen recorded it on a harpsichord -- both very fine performances IMO

Sabina Chukurova's rhythms and phrasing are pretty free and imaginative Good find. I just wonder whether this sonata needs a bit less elegance and a bit more oooomph and zazazoom.
Really? I actually found exactly that part of her playing very good - she brought out the 'sharp' character of this sonata, without smoothing it over, imo. Subjectivity rules the day :D.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.