Classical Music Forum banner

Best former national anthems

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Taggart 
#1 · (Edited)
I create this topic as a brother to this one. Which one is your favorite anthem from former states or anthems that are no longer used?

Myself, I like Austria-Hungary's anthem

I also like Transylvania's anthem, used before 1918

#2 · (Edited)
China's current national anthem is 'The March of the Volunteers', but when I was studying Chinese Civilisation at University & attending the Oriental Society's events, Mao's cultural revolution was in full swing and as Tian Han, the writer of the official anthem, was in prison, the unofficial anthem became 'The East is Red'. China at that time was a scary place with scary politics, so the song has vile associations (my best friend was from Hong Kong), but I couldn't help liking the tune...

#4 · (Edited)
...the unofficial anthem became 'The East is Red'. China at that time was a scary place with scary politics, so the song has vile associations (my best friend was from Hong Kong), but I couldn't help liking the tune...
Still popular in some quarters (it's a great tune). Here it is wrapping up the last minute or so of the Yellow River Concerto -- Defend the Yellow River!

"The east is red, the sun rises.
From China arises Mao Zedong.
He strives for the people's happiness,
Hurrah, he is the people's great savior!"

#10 ·
I don't mean to be provocative here but did the Confederate States of America ever have one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.