Classical Music Forum banner

LPAC TV - Lyndon Larouche

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mmsbls 
G
#1 · (Edited)
While searching Youtube for an idiot's guide to diatonics and chromatics, I was sidetracked by an explanation of 'Bach's guide to composition', produced by LPAC-TV.

Fascinated by the gravitas of the man doing the introduction, I did a search for LPAC-TV, and, finding their home site, had a wander round and found the gentleman in question...

Lyndon LaRouche is a significant part of everyone's lives, whether you personally know him or not.
That's quite a claim. So too, it seems to me, is this...

Obviously, the popularity of performances of great music according to the Classical tradition shared among Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Franz Schubert, for example, has fallen off greatly since the famous generation of the "white-collar" breed called "Baby Boomers" was plummeted into its adulthood. The question to be considered here, is whether, as Rotstein implies, it is Classical music which has failed, or, is it the presently hegemonic setters of public tastes who have failed disastrously in the role of art, as they have also failed, not only in both science and economy, but with a Sophist's minimal respect for even bare personal integrity in the domain of ideas?
http://larouchepac.com/node/3016

Has anyone come across LPAC-TV or Mr Larouche before, or elsewhere? Should I be worried that he is a significant part of my life, even though I don't know him personally (nor even impersonally: I've never heard of him)?

#2 · (Edited)
Lyndon LaRouche is quite a famous character and one of the more colorful fringe political figures of our time. He's a total crazy...unless, of course, he's right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_Larouche

Music is tangential: "LaRouche and his wife have an interest in classical music up to the period of Brahms. A motto of LaRouche's European Workers' Party, is 'Think like Beethoven'; movement offices typically include a piano and posters of German composers, and members are known for their choral singing at protest events and for using satirical lyrics tailored to their targets. LaRouche abhors popular music; he said in 1980, 'Rock was not an accidental thing. This was done by people who set out in a deliberate way to subvert the United States. It was done by British intelligence,' and wrote that the Beatles were 'a product shaped according to British Psychological Warfare Division specifications.' LaRouche movement members have protested at performances of Richard Wagner's operas, denouncing Wagner as an anti-Semite who found favor with the Nazis, and called a conductor 'satanic' because he played contemporary music."

#3 ·
Lyndon LaRouche's biography at wikipedia was the site of one of the earliest major edit wars of wikipedia. A supporter of LaRouche who went by the username Herschelkrustofsky (as well as a host of other accounts) fluffed the pages about LaRouche with much praise for his unusual views while various other wikipedians attempted to stop him or balance the praise with large amounts of negative information. Herschelkrustofsky was eventually banned.

It will be interesting to hear who knows about him here as that was one of the questions debated at wikipedia about just how famous he is and if his biography is out of proportion to his significance. I have only heard of him through wikipedia. You can get a sampling of the work behind the biography here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Lyndon_LaRouche/Archive_index but much of the edit war is hidden now by wikipedia's inefficient archive processes and deliberate "oversighting" of material.

It may be that wikipedia is the fairest, most balanced depiction of the man, due to it being heavily edited by supporters and critics alike but being unaware of the bitter fight behind the current article will give a distorted view. How much is wikipedia offering a political platform for a relatively minor fringe figure is a question worth asking, and not just about LaRouche but about a lot of their articles.

#5 ·
LaRouche used to have people in airports, sitting at tables and handing out literature. They had signs. Two that I remember:

"More people have died in the back seat of Teddy Kennedy's car than in nuclear accidents." (this was before Chernobyl of course)

"Feed Jane Fonda to the whales!"

#7 ·
I am very familiar with Lyndon LaRouche -- would that I were not. He is a nutjob on the same order as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_IckeDavid Icke (who says that the world is run by lizard men from outer space.)

Here is a quote from LaRouche at http://american_almanac.tripod.com/enemy.htm

The Parliament is a joke. It's an adaptation, a reform of the Monarchy. It does not run the Monarchy. The Queen runs from the top down, through a Privy Council. Number One on the Privy Council, after the Queen, is the Church of England, the head of the Church of England, and then a whole lot of other people, about 500. These 500 people run the British Empire, including the apparatus of its old Colonial Office. The Colonial Office was never disbanded. They call it the Overseas Development Office now. The Crown Agents who ran the colonies still function. They operate whole countries around the world. The mercenary forces we see in Africa and elsewhere are British mercenary forces, under the personal, direct command of the Queen through a thing called the Corps of Commissionaires; that is, these are generally retired military veterans, officers and high-ranking non-coms usually, both from the British Commonwealth system; that is, the various members of the British Commonwealth, or people like Americans, who are ex-GIs, officers and soldiers, who are, as was the case with Ollie North, and people like that, under George Bush, were recruited as mercenary auxiliaries within the British mercenary system.

#8 ·
I can imagine that few TC members not from the US will know LaRouche. He did run for the presidency here 8 times according to Wiki and in 1996 received almost 500,000 votes. I agree that he has rather unusual views and should be considered a very minor historical figure, but 500,000 votes is still somewhat impressive. I'm not at all surprised by his musical tastes since he is ultra-conservative in his general thinking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.