Classical Music Forum banner

John Rutter

8K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  JCarmel 
#1 ·
I'm sure most people here see Rutter as a bunch of cheesy fluff (and some of it is, don't get me wrong), but I'm a fan of Rutter and my grandmother has sung a lot of his music in her choral group and has met him in person.

His Magnificat, Gloria, and Requiem are my favorites, but I also like some of his smaller pieces like "Shepherd's Pipe Carol" and "King Jesus Hath a Garden".

Anyone like any of the music of Rutter? Have any recommendations?

#2 ·
I'd also recommend the "Donkey Carol" and "Star Carol".
Also, the Petite Suite and Mass of the Children are nice. I wouldn't put them on the level of Beethoven's 5th, but still, they're great for a rainy day.

There is a place in the world for cheesy fluff, in my opinion. Just not too much of it!

#5 ·
I disagree with Neo Romanza; John Rutter seems to have gotten past the habit he had for a while of having all his introductions sound alike; the music itself didn't, just the introductions. Of his carols, my favorite is the Candlelight Carol, though I like quite a bit of his music. Listen to "For the Beauty of the Earth" (I directed that this past summer in the version for women's voices). I do like the Requiem. My chief impression of Rutter is that he knows how to write a memorable and singable melody, and that is no mean feat, and if anyone thinks that is old hat, so be it!

#11 ·
He still produces sugary pap, rborganist. Listen to a choral work by Rutter and then listen to one by Gretchaninov, for example, and you'll quickly notice Rutter's lack of anything substantial to say musically is well evident. Easy listening he is, but that's all. Writing a memorable melody isn't important and if it is to you, then maybe it's best that you stick to the bubblegum schtick of Rutter.

Reactions: Alinde
#9 ·
I'm sorry, but Rutter is, to me, far to saccharine to bear in any but the smallest doses. He is kind of like the Leroy Anderson of choral music. I much prefer the music of Randall Thompson. Especially "The Last Words of David".

Just as an aside, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir has a CD of several of Thompsons works. Their performance of The Last Words of David is very powerful. It also includes Thompsons settings of some Robert Frost poems.

#15 · (Edited)
#22 ·
Perhaps Rutter inspires such a cavernous diversity of opinions because he is good and bad but also and far worse... he is successful! Sure some pieces are saccharine and I am getting tired of the same-voice unison openings, AND sometimes he sounds like an Andrew Lloyd Webber ripoff but 'What Sweeter Music' is a gorgeous piece. I joined this discussion because I was looking for other contemporary composers and thought some might be mentioned here. Thanks for the reference to Randall Thompson. Two others you might like to check out Thou Shalt Know Him by Mark Sirett or Eleanor Daly's 'My Master In the Garden'.

#23 · (Edited)
Perhaps Rutter inspires such a cavernous diversity of opinions because he is good and bad but also and far worse... he is successful!
Ahhh, the old and very tired 'successful,' retort, as if the world is envious of both the artistic and financial success.

Hooey!

Some artists are highly successful because what they make appeals to a very broad public, and the reason why is exactly because their works are of a lower and more common denominator.

Reactions: Alinde
#26 ·
Mass of the Children (written for his late son)
The Reluctant Dragon
Brother Heimlich's Christmas
Wind in the Willow

God Be In My Head
The Lord Bless You and Keep You
All Things Bright and Beautiful
For the Beauty of the Earth
Christmas Lullaby
Candlelight Carol
Angel's Carol

He's written secular choral works and instrumental pieces as well. All great stuff.

There are many Rutter pieces on youtube, as well as interviews. He makes no apology whatsoever for his traditional harmonic style.

I like his style and have many of his CDs and sheet music. I'm not a religious person -- in the traditional sense -- but his music is very uplifting.

#28 ·
Well, there's some good news on the Rutter front....
Ages ago I purchased this cd....
Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Daytime

because I like to try and conquer my 'dislikes' and convert them to something more Positive, if I can. And the Good News is that upon the umpteenth attempt, I managed to derive a little bit of pleasure from listening to the disc AND at least managed to listen to several tracks before screaming 'For Goodness sake, turn that damn thing off?! to a pal who was passing the cd eject button.
But basically...yukkkhh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.