Classical Music Forum banner

Bach's Mass in B (I have just been blown away by Suzuki)

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  JorgeDav 
#1 ·
I bought Suzuki's interpretation of Bach's Mass in B just before the weekend and have been listening to it today and it's just staggeringly beautiful. I have Gardiner's and Herreweghe's both of which I love. Especially Gardiner (am collecting his cycle of cantatas) and was wondering for ages whether to get the Suzuki. But am I glad I did. It is jaw dropping and the sound is just incredible. Listening to the Gloria: Et in terra pax and Gloria: Gratias agimus tibi I sat just rapt thinking "Oh my god..."

If anyone has the slightest interest in choral music - you simply must buy this cd, it's incredible.

J

#5 · (Edited)
yes, it is an amazing rendition of the Mass.
Be sure to check the 2020 new recording of St Matthew Passion. Suzuki and his Bach Collegium Japan do know how to convey Bach's message.
Additionally, you might be interested in this "live online" rendition of the St John Passion from this year:

I was curious about the new tempos choice by Suzuki for This SJP rendition . It seems much faster than how he usually performs it, and I wonder if that's how he nowadays view as the right tempo for the Passion. Any thoughts, people?

#6 ·
Bach's B Minor Mass is one of his greatest works. I first came to know it from Nikolaus Harnoncourt's recording from the 1970s with Concentus Musicus Wien, but have found several recordings in each decade since that I enjoy as much if not more.

John Eliot Gardiner
Phillipe Herreweghe
Andrew Parrott
Joshua Rifkin
Konrad Junghanel
Sigiswald Kuijken
Thomas Hengelbrock

#10 ·
I still prefer the interpretation of the Hohe Messe by Ton Koopman for Erato. I am not in awe of Suzuki, as many are. I have nothing with the famous Archiv recording by Gardiner, but am quite impressed by his second recording for his own SDG label.

It would be great if Ton Koopman would release a new Hohe Messe recording. He performed the piece in Gent, Belgium, recently, of which a bootleg recording is circulating, I heard parts of it and it was really good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.