Classical Music Forum banner

My favorite version of " La traviata"

45K views 128 replies 47 participants last post by  howlingfantods 
#1 ·
It's abosolutely in 1994 performed byAngela Gheorghiu,Frank Lopardo,Leo Nucci.
It touched me so much.I think Angela's singing is filled with power and emotion.and she is the most beautiful Violetta ever in my opinion.however I don't like the other role by her.

#5 ·
Is Gheorghiu really that good a Violetta? I can at least think of 10 Violettas that are better than her. On DVD the best La Traviata is probably still the Conlon one; cause Fleming pwns Gheorghiu and Netrebko both in looks and singing. On record my pick on the best La Traviata is the Ceccato one; no one I have heard comes remotely close to being as good as Sills in singing Violetta.

#9 ·
It's abosolutely in 1994 performed byAngela Gheorghiu,Frank Lopardo,Leo Nucci.
It touched me so much.I think Angela's singing is filled with power and emotion.and she is the most beautiful Violetta ever in my opinion.however I don't like the other role by her.
Beverly Sills in my opinion is the best Violetta in terms of singing.
Anna Netrebko in my opinion is the best Violetta in terms of looks.

Reactions: sharik
#10 ·
On DVD: Netrebko/Villazon. If anyone had described the production beforehand, I would had enormous difficulties to believe that it could work. But work it does and amazingly well! I liked Gheorgiou's Violetta as well, but poor Lopardo is just too rotund to be exactly convincing, though he sings well enough.

On CD (and on LP, originally): Cotrubas/Domingo. This was my first La Traviata, which may bias my judgment, but there is that inbuilt vulnerability in Cotrubas's voice, which is so touching, even if you didn't understand a word of what she is singing.

#23 ·
Wow, you've definitely done your homework on this one, interesting points, thanks.

Still, ideally, I want an opera to grip me emotionally, and this one just doesn't resonate with me the same way others do (that said, I still do like it a lot). I really can't explain it any better that I already tried to, and there isn't much logic to it. For example, Rigoletto with its outrageous plot if there ever was one I find totally captivating.

On the other hand, I would be the first to admit that my current favorite, Der Rosenkavalier, perhaps isn't for everyone either; I believe you have to have some feel for what "Wiener Gemuetlichkeit" means in your genes to fully appreciate this one.

#24 · (Edited)
Wow, you've definitely done your homework on this one, interesting points, thanks.
Yep, I once wrote a Power Point presentation on this opera just for domestic purposes (to introduce my son and his girlfriend to opera, then to do the same for two different groups of friends) so I did study it a lot.

On the other hand, I would be the first to admit that my current favorite, Der Rosenkavalier, perhaps isn't for everyone either
I think that au contraire, Der Rosenkavalier is very much appreciated. See, it made 9th place in our top-100, and it places highly in other lists as well. I love it, and own three versions of it (still less than my five versions of La Traviata:D).

#31 ·
La dame aux camélias

is the only well known novel by Alexandre Dumas fils (son)...His father wrote many GOOD things. Les trois musquetaires, etc. was his father.

The story is cheezy.

Marguerita became Violetta...

Martin

#32 ·
I saw a mid-run performance with Angela Gheorghiu and James Valenti last season at the Met which was the final season of the Zeffirelli production (which was sadly replaced IMO by the Decker production). These two artists got positive reviews, despite the Slatkin fiasco. However, when I attended the Saturday matinee performance, I thought both Gheorghiu and Valenti were underwhelming. I could barely hear Valenti but then again I was in the Family Circle. I suppose you can indeed get by in the opera profession with good looks.....

It was the first time I had seen Gheorghiu live and throughout the performance I was perplexed about she was so renowned. I had the privilege of seeing Renee Fleming at Covent Garden in summer 2009. She was a far better Violetta than Gheorghiu.

A fine version can be heard on Met Player with Fleming, Vargas, and Hvorostovsky.

#33 ·
Almaviva's gonna kill me . . . but maybe sometime in the future (probably the distant future), we should conduct a poll of the best CD versions of the top 100 operas. Cotrubas is one of my all-time favorite Violettas -- and Domingo and Milnes are certainly nothing to sneeze at, either.

Videos are wonderful, but sometimes I simply enjoy listening to the music and imagining the staging myself. (Which probably puts me at the top of the list of the Chronically Weird . . . )

#34 ·
Almaviva's gonna kill me . . .
He will :)

but maybe sometime in the future (probably the distant future), we should conduct a poll of the best CD versions of the top 100 operas. Cotrubas is one of my all-time favorite Violettas -- and Domingo and Milnes are certainly nothing to sneeze at, either.

Videos are wonderful, but sometimes I simply enjoy listening to the music and imagining the staging myself. (Which probably puts me at the top of the list of the Chronically Weird . . . )
I must be weird as well. I started my opera journey listening to CDs & even though I watch lots of DVDs now, I still love listening & creating performances in my mind.

#35 · (Edited)
Hey, I'm not a murderer! I only kill people who don't like Anna Netrebko. But I wouldn't call it murder, but rather, needed clean-up, for the sake of humankind's gene pool.:devil:

Now, seriously. My main goal is to make of TC Opera forum a reference for people to consult when they approach opera for the first time, and my secondary goal is to increase foot traffic here so that the membership grows and the discussions are even more interesting.

Establishing a list of preferred CD versions meets both these goals and is a great idea!

And I see nothing against doing it simultaneously with the Top 100 DVDs project, although maybe you guys disagree and we should wait - what do you all think about it?

Doing it simultaneously has the advantage of not needing to wait months (for those among us who are not good with delayed gratification - me included).

Doing it in the future after the end of the DVD project has the advantage of always keeping something entertaining going, as a way to foster discussions and connect the members with each other. I slightly favor the second option.

One caveat: my knowledge of recorded versions is mediocre. I'll help with formating, merging posts, editing mistakes, etc, but we'd need someone to take the reins of the project, especially if we do it simultaneously, because I wouldn't have the time to take on both projects.

Reactions: SixFootScowl
#42 ·
Hey, Annie, I think there's something for you too...

Violetta: Renée Fleming
Alfredo Germont: Joseph Calleja
Giorgio Germont: Thomas Hampson
Baron Douphol: Eddie Wade
Doctor Grenvil: Richard Wiegold

The Royal Opera Chorus
Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

Director: Richard Eyre
Conductor: Antonio Pappano

Recorded live at the Royal Opera House, London, June & July 2009

Extra features:

Cast gallery
Antonio Pappano interviews Renée Fleming

#44 ·
:D

I've got a recording off the TV but the quality isn't too good so I'm really looking forward to getting this. It was featured in the BBC series 'Opera Italia' with Antonio Pappano. Joseph's voice has developed & his acting has improved since then but the scene with Alfredo & Germont is amazing.

#43 ·
I am happy to see some Cortubas/Domingo fans, as I am partial to this version.

The first opera i ever saw/heard! it was a magnificent experience (Royal Scottish National Orchestra) and was actually the first classical music performance i had ever been to. i was 22. Now i'm hooked!

so back to the thread, Domingo at "Un di Felice" kills me!

#47 ·
Welcome to the forum, befstrat. It's nice to have a new member interested in opera. Please make sure that you participate of our ongoing project to find the most recommend opera DVDs and blu-ray discs for each one of our top 100 recommended operas. It's in the "opera on DVD and blu-ray" subforum. Again, welcome aboard!

#49 ·
Traviata, what a great opera!

I love Traviata, and I don't find it too cheesy. I own a few productions. I think my favorite is one done by Zefirelli with Bonfadelli, Piper, Bruson, and Domingo as the conductor. Bonfadelli's Violeta is refreshing, beautifully sung, and the staging was awsome. I also love Angela Gheorghiu's Violeta but in the 94 production, I could not find any chemistry between her and Alfredo (Lopardo), in spite of her amazing singing and acting. I have her later Traviata on Blue ray, and I like this more, as this time Alfredo is better sung/acted by Ramon Vargas. Angela has another wonderful sung Violeta, but she was, naturally, fresher in 94. I only regret buying the Salzburg Traviata:(. I didn't like Anna's Violeta. Her singing was average at best, and her acting unfortunate, as her Violeta was healthy from the beginning to the end. Only the clock kept changing. The minimalist staging amplified the flaws. I don't enjoy watching it, and the singing is even worse. I liked Anna in the Waldbuhne concert, that's why I bought her Traviata. But her technique is not good at all. I recently watched on TV the Traviata from Royal Opera House with with Renée Fleming as Violetta and Joseph Calleja as Alfredo. Beautiful, but not my favorite production. Anyway I could not find it on DVD.

#50 ·
I love Traviata, and I don't find it too cheesy. I own a few productions. I think my favorite is one done by Zefirelli with Bonfadelli, Piper, Bruson, and Domingo as the conductor. Bonfadelli's Violeta is refreshing, beautifully sung, and the staging was awsome. I also love Angela Gheorghiu's Violeta but in the 94 production, I could not find any chemistry between her and Alfredo (Lopardo), in spite of her amazing singing and acting. I have her later Traviata on Blue ray, and I like this more, as this time Alfredo is better sung/acted by Ramon Vargas. Angela has another wonderful sung Violeta, but she was, naturally, fresher in 94. I only regret buying the Salzburg Traviata:(. I didn't like Anna's Violeta. Her singing was average at best, and her acting unfortunate, as her Violeta was healthy from the beginning to the end. Only the clock kept changing. The minimalist staging amplified the flaws. I don't enjoy watching it, and the singing is even worse. I liked Anna in the Waldbuhne concert, that's why I bought her Traviata. But her technique is not good at all. I recently watched on TV the Traviata from Royal Opera House with with Renée Fleming as Violetta and Joseph Calleja as Alfredo. Beautiful, but not my favorite production. Anyway I could not find it on DVD.
Welcome to the forum sabrina.

The new one form ROH is available now. I've got it & it's fantastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.