Classical Music Forum banner

Cantatas of J.S. Bach

16K views 57 replies 42 participants last post by  Fletcher 
#1 ·
The Cantatas of Bach had long been a repertoire which I felt rather overwhelmed by; it was difficult to know where to begin with such a substantial body of work! So I recently acquired the complete Gardiner cantata box set (one of the best purchases I've ever made!) and am listening to the whole cycle, one disc a week according to the liturgical calendar, whilst reading the book The Cantatas of J.S. Bach by Alfred Dürr, which contains some very interesting explanations. I find this repertoire endlessly fascinating and I hope to become more and more familiar with it.

So I suppose I wanted to ask you, What are your favourite cantatas by Bach? What do you like about them? How do you go about listening to them? Or if you dislike the cantatas, feel free to tell us why. (I can understand if the endless recitative and the repetitive chorales aren't to everyone's taste!). Any comments, observations, comparisons would be much appreciated!

I would make a poll of favourite cantatas but one is not allowed 200 options, and there aren't any "obvious" choices to pull out, I don't think :)

Thanks.

#2 ·
There are so many to choose from but, from the ones I have heard recently, a few favourites are:

BWV 81, Jesus Schläft, Was Soll Ich Hoffen? ("Jesus Sleeps, What Shall I Hope For?"): This is one of Bach's more dramatic, almost operatic cantatas. It deals with the story of Jesus calming the storm, and therefore contains two great arias ("Die schäumenden Wellen von Belials Bächen" and "Schweig, aufgetürmtes Meer!") which are both suitably tumultuous! This is contrasted however with a calming Vox Christi arisoso section. The theological message is obvious, but musically the contrast makes for a very rounded and satisfying structure.

BWV 92, Ich hab in Gottes Herz und Sinn ("I have in God's Heart and Mind"): This is favourite particularly on the strength of the aria "Meinem Hirten bleib ich treu" which is a charming little piece with a stepping dance rhythm, accompanied by oboe and plucked strings, a combination which sounds wonderfully innocent and fragile.

#3 ·
I have had the box set of complete works of J.S. Bach (Rilling) for a number of years but stayed away from the vocal works until a couple months ago.

My approach to listening to them has been by disc, which has been arranged numerically by BWV. I found a site http://www.bach-cantatas.com/ and I read up on the overview and discussion before hearing each piece.

I can't comment on which are my favorites yet (I'm only up in the 20's so far) but my mind has bookmarked #8 already.

#4 · (Edited)
Oh the cantatas by JS Bach are astonishing! Each and every one I have listened to are a work of upmost brilliance.

I started my cantata adventure few months ago. The decision to start off with Suzuki's set was based on the excellent sound and consistently good instrumentation and singers. Suzuki uses period instrument and the cantatas are set chronoligically with the earliest compositions first. I then like to listen to the same cantatas by Gardiner, Rilling, Koopman and Richter.

Gardiner's production is also excellent and a close second. To my ears Suzuki has brighter acoustics that fit very well with the cantatas. The pitch of the instruments is at A=465, a brighter sound which also favours female voices. Rilling set is fairly good but the modern intruments don't fit in as well and the singers tend to be too operatic at times. Koopman has some excellent singers but the music is not as upbeat as Suzuki or Gardiner. Richter was my introduction to Bach's best known vocal works and I respect whatever he touches, and his 75 cantata box is a great addition to my collection.

I have so far listened intently to Suzuki's first four volumes and every single bar is my favourite. My experience is still limited and I am taking my time to enjoy every disc before moving on. Cantatas worth mention include:

BWV 4 - 'Christ lag in Todesbanden' is one of his earliest and a good start to Suzuki's set

BWV 12 - the 2nd movmenet 'Weinen Klagen Sorgen Sagen' was chilling to say the least.
Bach adapted it to his B minor Mass Crucifixus so it sounded very familiar on first listen:

BWV131 - 'Ich Harre Des Herrn' gets better with every listen

BWV 106 - Actus tragicus , 'Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit'. The cantata is described as beautiful and fragile by many scholars. Well fitting for a funeral ode it was allegedly written for.

BWV 162 'Ach, ich sehe, itzt, da ich aur Hochzeit gehe'
BWV 182 'Himmelskonig, sei willkommen'
Felt like being physically hit by the sound emanating from these two, lying in my bed at 2am. It was an astounding experience!

BWV 54 - Arie 'Widerstehe doch der Sunde'. Suzuki's take is faster paced than others but oh my how good it sounds with an excellent alto singer!

#53 ·
Heard this on the radio late one night. Had no idea what it was. Tracked it down and so started off on a journey into music beyond the orchestral and operatic favourites I had come across and followed it into those areas of the great world of music that I love most - Bach, Lieder, chamber music.... I owe J.S.Bach and Fischer-Dieskau a great deal and wrote to DFD to thank him.

#43 · (Edited)
I think that is a beatifull aria. The expressiveness and nuances of von Otter are rare to hear. I listen other versions from YouTube. All great but one version sing a child also beauty: His name is Seppi Kronvitter, good performance! Thanks to Eschbeg because is a great discover this aria.

#7 ·
I loooooove Bach's cantatas. I think they are my favorite works of his now. In this past year I've been slowly exploring the Koopman set (nearing the last few discs now), which I highly recommend.

I've also recently bought the Gardiner set after listening to his BBC Bach documentary. I was so enamored by the cantatas that I had absolutely no reservations about doubledipping into another large set.

As to which I like most..... oh my, where to start...?

#10 ·
Reality is they are all unique little gems. I was listening to BWV29 this morning and always get swept away by the organ concerto sinfonia.

#12 ·
The Cantatas of Bach had long been a repertoire which I felt rather overwhelmed by; it was difficult to know where to begin with such a substantial body of work! ..... and am listening to the whole cycle, one disc a week according to the liturgical calendar

So I suppose I wanted to ask you, What are your favourite cantatas by Bach? What do you like about them? How do you go about listening to them?
A very good question, Sir

I have the Teldec set and like you, I feel a little overawed by the 60 discs and was hoping to be enlightened by replies to the question Winterreisender posed ... but unfortunately ..... well ..... with the exception of a couple of comments above, I think I'll continue to dip in at random through this treasure trove (as I don't have the inclination to be disciplined enough to follow the liturgical year)

#14 ·
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies so far. I like what I just heard of 131, 61, 54 and 29.

I have the Teldec set and like you, I feel a little overawed by the 60 discs and was hoping to be enlightened by replies to the question Winterreisender posed ... but unfortunately ..... well ..... with the exception of a couple of comments above, I think I'll continue to dip in at random through this treasure trove (as I don't have the inclination to be disciplined enough to follow the liturgical year)
The advantage of following the liturgical year is that you can see how Bach goes about addressing the same bible verses on different occasions. For example cantatas 73 ("Lord, do with me as you will), 72 ("Everything follows God's will") and 111 ("What God wills, may it always happen") are all textually related and on each occasion Bach develops a sort of leitmotif out of the important phrase "wie du willst" ("as you wish") or something similar. The message is about surrounding to God's will. Given that the cantatas were originally written to serve an exegetical function, I personally need to know the biblical context to fully appreciate what Bach is saying, otherwise it can sound like endless meaningless recitative. I can understand if the religiosity of the cantatas might be off-putting for some. I personally am not religious, but listening to these cantatas tempts me to reconsider. :rolleyes:

By the way, the disadvantage of following the liturgical year is that Lent has just started, which means no cantatas for a few weeks! Will have to listen to the secular ones, instead :D

#13 · (Edited)
A suggestion for Headphone Hermit:
Listen to the cantatas in chronological order.
Mühlhausen cantatas (They sound very different from the rest. They follow the late 17th century German tradition)
Weimar cantatas (Once Bach had encountered Vivaldi's concertos, his style (and musical forms) changed to "the Bach style")
Köthen cantatas (Bach turned these secular cantatas into church cantatas in Leipzig)
Leipzig cantatas (in chronological order again)

#20 ·
I have just started listening to his cantatas, and I do it with high quality living youtube videos. Watching the performances is entertaining, and there is so much good stuff out there. Here is one example

#22 ·
Bwv 109

Wonderful Aria from BWV 109
"Der Heiland kennet ja die Seinen"

4. Recit. (A)

Compose thyself, thou doubt-beridden heart,
For Jesus still doth wonders work!
The eyes of faith e'en yet shall witness
God's healing pow'r;
Though the fulfillment distant seem,
Thou canst, indeed, rely upon his promise.

5. Aria (A)

The Savior knows, indeed, his people,
Whene'er their hope doth helpless lie.
When flesh and will within them quarrel,
He shall himself yet stand beside them,
That at the last their faith triumph.

#23 ·
1. Bach: Cantata #138, BWV 138, "Warum Betrübst Du Dich, Mein Herz" - 1. Warum Betrübst Du Dich, Mein Herz
2. Bach: Cantata #57, BWV 57, "Selig Ist Der Mann" - 3. Ich Wünschte Mir Den Tod
3. Bach: Cantata #27, BWV 27, "Wer Weiss, Wie Nahe Mir Mein Ende" - 1. Wer Weiss, Wie Nahe Mir Mein Ende

#25 · (Edited)
I still recall that as a youth I wanted nothing to do with the music of Bach, especially those boring old cantatas. Had you told me then that someday I would own four complete sets of the Cantatas and dozens of individual disc recordings aside from the sets, I would have proclaimed you ready for the nut house. Boy! Was I stupid then. But, live and learn.

I'm not by practice a religious fellow, but I do try to fit in at least one Bach Cantata into my music listening sessions every Sunday. "If it's Sunday, it's Bach Cantata day," to paraphrase David Gregory over there at NBC. I generally enjoy listening to the Cantata with score in hand. I have quite a few of the scores on hand, and the local college library has an entire collection I utilize; and these are currently on-line, too.

The range of the Cantatas is staggering and I listen in awe to each and every one. But Ich habe genug, BWV 82, remains an especial favorite. That work defines the sublime. ("Ich habe genug" is also the one thing I seem unable to say when faced with the opportunity to purchase another set of Complete Bach Cantatas.)

My most recent addition to my Bach collection is the splendid Gardiner's 2000 Bach Pilgrimage box set in which each individual disc is housed in a slipcase featuring a haunting portrait by photographer Steve McCurry. I can't wait till Sunday!

#27 ·
it would be easier to make a list of my less favorite cantatas! almost all of them are masterpieces, in my opinion. i agree with all who live the gardiner set, thought there are other great ones. i enjoy Rilling's, and this week got some by Philippe Herreweghe that are wonderful. if i HAD to pick a few favorite ones, 'Ein Feste Burg', 'Christ Lag In Todesbanden', and "Ich steh mit einem Fuss im Grabe".

#28 ·
I've seen BWV. 82 Ich Have Genug, listed a few times but no one has listed another favorite of mind BWV. 39 Brich den Hungrigen dein brot. Some others I enjoy are BWV. 78 & 227.

What I love about the cantatas are the rich, organic-feeling, textures and miraculous contrapuntal writing. Bach and Newton the only super humans the world has ever known.

#37 ·
In November 2013 I started to listen to the whole set, one cantata per day (almost), from the Suzuki cycle.
I have been taking some preparation before each listening, by reading the CD booklets (the BIS ones are very well done) and by looking here http://www.jsbachcantatas.com/

I am close to the end of my "project", being at volume No 52 (out of 55)

I fully second what Bulldog wrote before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.