Classical Music Forum banner

motets of J. S. Bach

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Traverso 
#1 ·
My sense is that these aren't quite as popular as they used to be, particularly BWV 227, Jesu, meine Freude. That seems to have been one of his "greatest hits" a generation or two ago, but now it's been beaten by over 1700 different works on our "classical music project." Perhaps I'm overestimating how popular it used to be.

Anyway, any fans of the motets here? Which are your favorites? And which recordings? Recommend away!

#4 ·
Personally, I love the motets. I'm not the only one; apparently Mozart was bowled over hearing Singet Dem Herm.

I think Der Geist hilft under Schwacheit auf gets the edge for me; in a time of personal crisis, it helped pull me out mentally.
Though I think O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht is very peaceful and nice funeral music.

#11 ·
Personally, I love the motets. I'm not the only one; apparently Mozart was bowled over hearing Singet Dem Herm.

I think Der Geist hilft under Schwacheit auf gets the edge for me; in a time of personal crisis, it helped pull me out mentally.
Though I think O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht is very peaceful and nice funeral music.
It's been a while since you posted this but I hope things continue to go well for you. "Der Geist hilft" is my favourite too. I'd love to sing it in a choir one day.

G
#13 · (Edited)
Listen to this please,I like it more than all the top choirs of the world.

I touches me in a way that I not experience in the recordings of Suzuku,Parrott,well you name it.
Sometimes it is out of tune and there is a lack of technical skill,but if you can listen through all the shortcomings than you hear the most exciting singing of these marvelous motets.
It is realy a pity if these boyschoirs disappear in time.

http://www.flyinginkpot.com/1999/10/bach-motets-tolzer-knabenchorschmidt-gaden-tem-inkpot-2/

#14 · (Edited)
Of course!
I really enjoy Musica Amphion & Gesualdo Consort's "Bach in Context" series, which assembles liturgically related Cantatas and motets, along with some relevant organ works, and presents them, well, in context.
The playing and singing is stellar; so is recording quality.
But as primarily an organ nerd, the main attraction is in the organs used.
I do really appreciate that the accompaniment is on the grand organ, and quite nice historical organs as well (e.g. The Schnitger organ in Groningen, the Muller in Amsterdam Wassalekerk, a few Silbermanns, or even the Wender in the Arnstadt "Bachkirche."). You just can't match conventional Basso Continuo with a klop chamber organ and a few cellos/violones with the figured bass with the full pedal, or even just a few stops, of such organs.

Otherwise, Suzuki and Herreweghe are capital choices too!

G
#15 ·
Thank you for your reply,did you have read the artical? ( the link) Of course are the recordings of Suzuki and Herreweghe great.Herreweghe did it twice.Parrott is stil one of my favorites but I cant help it,listening to this boys choir the music has a greater inpact and goes under my skin.In a few days I can listen again to this choir ,an older Philips recording and a cd a live recording wich you have to order by the choir itself.I remember that I was listening to the philips recording and it had such an inpact that I was shivering.The motet "Jesu meine freude"is one of the deepest,profound musical experience of my life.:angel:

#16 ·
as for me I've heard many motets long long time ago.....but just quite recently I discovered their beauty.It's the same as many people find Baroque music to be boring, in fact it's not, it's just our understanding plays its tricks on us haha. once it's "understood" or in other words once it's right time then we see the beauty of it.

ps I just use a word "understanding", but may be other people can substitute it with the other word suitable for them, when I use a word "understanding" I don't actually imply something that is totally rational or logical.

#18 ·
I prefer the motets sung by the Collegium Vocale Gent, conducted by Philip Herreweghe. Of all those magnificent motets "Komm, Jesu, komm" is my real favorite. Just to hear the first three "Komm" is for me already a real miracle of music and singing. And that's only the beginning...
OK, my second choise would be Gardiner.

The Times: Who needs pills to lift the spirits when we have the six Bach motets?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.