Classical Music Forum banner

Dies Irae, Mozart

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  hpowders 
#1 ·
I really love this piece by Mozart, but I was just wondering, was Dies Irae created prior to Mozart's Requiem?

Thank you, Actor

#8 · (Edited)
The Consilium felt that the funeral rite was in need of reform and eliminated the sequence as such from the Masses for the Dead. They got rid of texts that smacked of a negative spirituality inherited from the Middle Ages. Thus they removed the "Dies Irae", and others that overemphasized judgment, fear, and despair. These they replaced with texts urging Christian hope and arguably giving more effective expression to faith in the resurrection.

But now, with his "tough love" philosophy, Dr. Phil is bringing it back. We apparently need judgement and fear in order to produce more efficient members of society.

#9 · (Edited)
Since KenOC already answered, I'll chime in and say I love both Mozart and Verdi's Dies Irae.

I chose my username specifically because of Mozart's. His requiem still floors me every time I hear it.

Reactions: hpowders
#21 ·
This thread is dark and scary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.