Classical Music Forum banner

Valentina Lisitsa vs Toronto Symphony

7K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Tristan 
#1 ·
Lisitsa says she was scheduled to play with the Toronto Symphony, but she claims they have replaced her with another pianist because of her Twitter feed. Apparently, she twitters about the war in her home country the Ukraine. Now she has asked her fans for support to make the Toronto Symphony let her play.

Damn politics, always getting in the way.

#12 ·
Are you serious? You recommend an article from Russian source about Ukraine... Would you read an article, published in Germany in 1940 to know the truth about what is going on in Britain or US?

This bad-smelling scandal was organized by Lisitsa with very clear purpose - to attract attention to herself in a new viral-style campaign. I would recommend to read an opinion from true great modern artist, Andrei Gavrilov:

https://www.facebook.com/AGPIANO/posts/798908306823029:0

#7 · (Edited)
Reactions: sharik
#9 ·
Loose lips can still "sink ships".

Promotion of a concert, promotion of an artist is always business related. IOW their goals are to sell tickets.

Once Upon A Time, it was considered and even believed that, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

In today's ever-increasing serious world, chance-taking has decreased considerably.

In terms of threat, there is no small threat with regard to possible impedance or destruction. All must be taken seriously. :cool:

#11 · (Edited)
I hesitate to rely on wikipedia for 'evidence' but its page for RT claims it is a state-funded media source and that there are many doubts about its reliability and objectivity.

Whenever I watch it, there seems to be little difference between propaganda and their 'opinion'

Reactions: Triplets
#15 ·
The facts given in RT seem clear; most are in quotes from Lisitsa, as might be published anywhere (and have been). Recommending an article is not the same as blessing its source. In this case, it's the article that was referred to, but some seem more interested in attacking the source than in addressing the article itself.

BTW, the orchestra has now cancelled the entire concert and put forth its views on the matter.

http://www.musicaltoronto.org/2015/...ymphony-ceo-jeff-melanson-breaks-his-silence/

#18 ·
The facts given in RT seem clear; most are in quotes from Lisitsa, as might be published anywhere (and have been).
I am Ukrainian who live in Ukraine (Mrs.Lisitsa has not been visiting her native country for ages and she has not been bothering herself with performing here). I have very different opinion about what is going on in my country than that from Mrs.Lisitsa or Russian media. But, such difference is pretty much ok to me - everybody could and should entertain full and not restricted right to have his/her opinions about whatever chosen. It also belong to TSO - they should have right to decide with whom they want or do not want to play music together.

What is difficult for me to accept is the means she uses to attract interest to herself. Viral youtube campaign, political scandal... Being quite a mediocre artist (impressive technical ability combined with almost complete disability to interpret music and to put any meaning into her playing) she is using tools more suitable for pop-music than to classical music performer. Plain and simple bad taste, if I am permitted to have my opinion.

#16 ·
I looked through that PDF file they compiled of her tweets. That's the most offensive things they could find? Frankly, I don't think they have a case.

Reactions: hpowders and sharik
#24 ·
The thread is starting to focus more on pure politics and comments about others than on the OP. Please make sure your comments in some way deal with Valentina Lisitsa, the Toronto Symphony, or musicians in similar circumstances. Diversions from the OP can be fine, but negative comments about others are not.

#25 · (Edited)
An article in the Kyiv Post adding a bit of new material to the "Lisitsa case" & her tweet sources
http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukr...ause-of-her-anti-ukrainian-tweets-385917.html

Those interested in getting more information about RT.com & updated Ukraine crisis material generally are welcome to PM me. But I´m not going to engage in an online debate on the subject, partly because of TC rules (though one could argue that the general subject of "media-propagated reality" is overall relevant), partly because doing so on (serious) newspaper websites here takes a lot of ressources.

#27 ·
I live in Toronto.

Apparently, Valentina Lisitsa is doing a free concert tonight for the Toronto fans. At a smaller venue of course and sponsored by a local piano shop. Too bad I just found out now, I can't make downtown in time for the start.

BTW, Stewart Goodyear was contacted to replace her and then they completely cancelled the Rach 2 and only have Mahler's 5th. Stewart Goodyear also replaced Yuja Wang last year in Toronto when she had an injury. Don't know the whole story but....

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Regarding the recent flap over Lisitsa and her TSO run-in, I figure it would be good to update the news about her.

[To see] Her comment about her position [see this link]

[copyrighted text deleted by admin]

I am a fan of hers although honestly I'm not a fanatic. :) I do admire what she is going through and hopefully she will continue to play and share her love of classical music with the public.

Due to Liszt month, I will be glad to share more pieces that she plays for him.

Reactions: sharik
#32 · (Edited)
^^^^

Concerning the post above and the alleged remarks of Yatsenyuk, the Ukrainan PM, Lisitsa evidently prefers Russian media and doesn´t read "Kyiv Post"
(link above too) http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukr...ause-of-her-anti-ukrainian-tweets-385917.html,
or that very illuminating site, "StopFake.org"
http://www.stopfake.org/en/fake-ukr...alled-luhansk-and-donetsk-people-untermensch/.

She is possibly right about the "Elle" article, though I haven´t researched on that issue, and I know "Russia Insider" (http://russia-insider.com/en/2015/12/31/2185) to have published notoriously fake news, such as the oligarch Kolomoisky´s alleged demands for "rebellion" against Poroshenko recently (in total contrast to all his public speeches nowadays and just a couple of days before a large demonstration in Dnepropetrovsk underlining Ukrainian national unity and solidarity, organized by the same Kolomoisky). Completely untrue, yet still on the website http://russia-insider.com/en/2015/03/27/5052.

#33 · (Edited)
Ok, as an Ukrainian I can tell that her translation of the word used by Ukraine PM is mendacious. But this is not what important in the first place. Iosif Brodsky wrote a detestable poem on Ukraine’ Independence, Ezra Pound saluted Third Reich. Both poets were geniuses nevertheless. Contrary to them Lisitsa is just plain mediocre, and she uses means for self-promotion that is beyond acceptable. And I am really very sorry for Stewart Goodyear who happened to get himself under this Juggernaut of lie and bad taste.

#34 ·
Valentina Lisitsa - Toronto SO cancel concert over controversial tweets.

Valentina Lisitsa has had a concert cancelled over various tweets she made expressing her views on the conflict in Ukraine. I understand she has referred to the government in Kiev and its supporters as fascist scum. She has also made some anti-semetic comments and used a photo of pigs testicles as a metaphor in connection with the issue.

I wonder what the views are of those who attend concerts - would you go to see a performer if you knew they had repugnant views - had expressed some xenophobic hatred or something else you find offensive?

#36 ·
would you go to see a performer if you knew they had repugnant views - had expressed some xenophobic hatred or something else you find offensive?
I would listen great artist no matter what animals live in his head. And I will not listen to an artist with kindest views ever, if he/she is boring.

Also, I do not care about mediocre performers with repugnant views, such as Lisitsa.

#35 ·
just to expand - from the guardian

"Valentina Lisitsa, a Ukraine-born pianist, was scheduled to play Rachmaninov’s Piano Concerto No 2 with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra on Friday night, but her performance was scrapped amid “ongoing accusations of deeply offensive language” on Twitter, said the orchestra’s president, Jeff Melanson. "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.