Classical Music Forum banner

What's your listening process?

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  kanishknishar 
#1 · (Edited)
How do you digest a piece of music that you have never heard before? Let's say you have a new CD with a work that you are unfamiliar with. How do you go about digesting the work?

I bring this up because my usual process has been to let the music run while I am driving my car around or just working on a computer. I admit that this isn't very focused listening -- a bit of musical wallpaper, if you will. Sometimes it is active listening and sometimes passive. I will let the disc run its course multiple times over the course of days or weeks and at some point I find that the music really comes into focus. At that point truly active listening and enjoyment happens.

What is your process?

#2 ·
How do you digest a piece of music that you have never heard before? Let's say you have a new CD with a work that you are unfamiliar with. How do you go about digesting the work.

I bring this up because my usual process has been to let the music run while I am driving my car around or just working on a computer. I admit that this isn't very focused listening -- a bit of musical wallpaper, if you will. Sometimes it is active listening and sometimes passive. I will let the disc run its course multiple times over the course of days or weeks and at some point I find that the music really comes into focus. At that point truly active listening and enjoyment happens.

What is your process?
I don't but CD'S I never heard, when something interesting is being played on the radio and it keeps my attention I try it to get from the library , if I like it again I buy it.

#3 ·
I usually wake up quite early in the morning and I take my couple of hours before breakfast or going to work to listen to the new pieces. If available I follow the score. Sometime I listen to a new piece twice ore more.

In my evenings and/or weekends I tend to avoid new music, since I'm often distracted by the rest of my life. I hate if I have to interrupt my 'active' listening, so I use to listen to already familiar pieces in a bit more passive way.

I never listen at work or better, I mostly hear musical wallpaper played in my office.

#4 ·
I too listen passively at first, more often than not in headphones at work after I have ripped the CD to my iPod. It is only during my deep listen sessions that I focus on the piece, and with my guided randomization playlist for the deep listens, it can be months before I get around to focused listening.

In spite of this, there are often parts that stand out demanding my attention during the passive listens anyway. These may prompt an early insertion into the deep listen schedule.

The two levels of listening can sometimes reveal different things about a work, but more often the deep listen creates a better appreciation, as you might expect.

#5 ·
...my usual process has been to let the music run while I am driving my car around or just working on a computer. I admit that this isn't very focused listening -- a bit of musical wallpaper, if you will. Sometimes it is active listening and sometimes passive.
I have found that sometimes passive listening is better. Once I find a piece I discern has substance I listen to it until I understand it. Only at that point do I decide if I like it or reject it. The key is to listen for the composer's voice.

#10 · (Edited)
I try to listen to it carefully and with full attention from beginning to end, trying to hear harmony and melody, counterpoint, all the voices, every note. Anything less would seem inadequate for getting to know a new piece.

edit: sometimes I consult a score if the rhythm is complex, so I can group the notes mentally in the correct fashion. Sometimes I give up on this though, and sometimes it's easier to group them correctly by listening to how the performers stress certain notes than by thinking about the score. I also try to hang on to notes and follow phrases to their end. But this is all pretty basic and I'm sure every competent listener does all this.

#12 ·
I buy CDs. Then I upload them onto iTunes. Then I download them onto my 120gb iPod Classic. Every night I walk for about 1hr 15 mins in the countryside. This is when I listen to classical music. Initially I listen to every work twice with close concentration. I will later re-visit works. I listen through Sennheiser Momentum over-ear headphones which deliver a warm, naturalistic sound. I tend not to be able to immerse myself completely in music at home because I live in a small house with my wife and two children (so quite a few distractions!). I listen to Spotify when I am working on the computer; this helps me to research different composers (and works) - effectively as a 'try before you buy' mechanism.

#13 ·
My listening process always involve wide reading first about the work's history: composition history, historical context of the piece (when it was written in what circumstance), how the first audiences reacted if we know, and the history of the work since then to today (when was it revived, and or how often it was performed etc.) Then come the educated listening experience which helps to enjoy it more.

#14 ·
My process sounds incredibly dry to most people, but from my perspective it's good and "wet". What I do is print out a pdf or purchase the sheets somehow, and read about the music if I possibly can. Then I turn it on and follow along as best I can with the sheets. Even when I can't do that, I often try to visualize the music and think thematically about it.

I must sound relentless and one dimensional, but that's really how I get the most entertainment out of music.

#17 ·
"relentless"? You sound thorough as opposed to a casual approach. That's not dry - that's musical. Liszt would approve! You are getting two things done for the time of one.

Our listening is one-dimensional. What are you doing is assessing, reading, listening and feeling the music at the same time -- 4D!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.