Classical Music Forum banner

Music with Christian undertones

10K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  Flamme 
#1 · (Edited)
This being my first post..., I hope it's in the right section!

I'm working on a project that is to be performed at a church event. I don't have any immediate ideas, but I've been thinking (rather idealistically) about performing pieces that incorporate Christian hymns, Bible verses, etc... for example, the hymn "Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow" appears in the last movement of Mendelssohn's Piano Trio No. 2 in c minor, first in the piano and later again from the piano and passing to the violin and the cello (as supported by the program notes for one performance by the Capuçon/Angelich Trio). I was wondering if anyone knew any pieces that would be similar in characteristic.

Also, any suggestions on how I would go about finding related examples?

I'm not trying to start a debate on religion or anything - this is just a request for musical knowledge from the smart guys out there. :)

Just some additional details:
- preferably not vocal, i.e. masses composed by "standard" composers of classical music. Also, I will most likely not have a large enough number of musicians for full orchestral music. In other words, preferably chamber or solo music.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

The problem, however, (in which I must apologize for not mentioning), is that it's for my music school's outreach class, so I have to fulfill the class' requirement - the music should mostly/primarily that of professional, standard repertoire. I did ask for arrangements, but that's a little more last-resort. Of course I'm not meaning that arrangements of songs is not part of good performance music, but... ah, you guys should get the point. For the sake of staying on the safe side of the project logistics, I'd like to request music from the general meat of classical music - namely, the Baroque through "Contemporary" period.

Though thanks, DJ, again, for the suggestion! I'll still be writing it down for my outline/brainstorm! :)

#6 ·
Appropriate music might include the overture from Messiah, Copland's arrangement of "Simple Gifts", and the "Pastoral Symphony" from Messiah. I think Mozart wrote some church sonatas, at least some of which might work for string quartet. Look also at some of Bach's trio sonatas, many of which were transcriptions of works by Vivaldi (or look for the Vivaldi trio sonatas themselves). And don't forget the slow movement of Samuel Barber's string quartet which was later turned into a setting of "Agnus Dei."

#9 · (Edited)
A great deal of Russian music quotes actual Gregorian Orthodox chant in it. Let me give some examples:

I would not describe these pieces as sacred, but as secular music incorporating sacred elements.

#16 ·
Gregorian chant developed in the Western (Latin-speaking) church. Eastern Orthodox chant came from the Greek-speaking (Eastern) church. According to legend the Holy Spirit dictated the Gregorian chants into the ear of Pope Gregory the Great. The Orthodox consider Gregory a saint but they don't use the music attributed to him. Likewise Roman Catholics consider John Chrysostom a saint, but they don't use his chants, only the Orthodox do.

G
#17 ·
I thought that the OP was asking for examples of instrumental music with religious undertones which can be performed by a small ensemble. I'm not sure why discussion has moved on to consider Gregorian chant which is unaccompanied sacred song of the Roman Catholic Church.

Better known examples of the requested works would be Biber's Rosary Sonatas, Mozart's Church Sonatas, Haydn's Seven Last Words.

I would have thought that of these a good one to consider might be the Haydn work. Originally written for a full orchestra, there is a string quartet version, Opus 51, in 7 movements. In addition there is a choral version and another for solo piano.

#31 · (Edited)
Just some additional details:
- preferably not vocal, i.e. masses composed by "standard" composers of classical music. Also, I will most likely not have a large enough number of musicians for full orchestral music. In other words, preferably chamber or solo music.
While requesting non-vocal religious music reduces the repertoire substantially, that's not to say that there isn't a good deal out there.

One particularly cherished work comes to mind:

Cherubini: Marche Religieuse

Edit: That is, cherished by me.

G
#33 ·
Since we aren't directly answering the OP anymore, may I post a technical question here?

My recognition of religious music is primarily through vocal parts. I know a mass is a mass because of the vocal parts. As far as I know, if you were to take away the vocal parts, there would be nothing that specifically identifies a work as religious. I know that many of the renaissance mass settings were taken from secular tunes (e.g. Missa l'homme arme from Des Prez).

But I may be wrong. Are there any techniques in composition, other than adding religious vocal and choral parts (or spoken religious text, as is the case for Haydn's 7 Last Words) that are typical for religious music - i.e. definite religious undertones? Would one who wanted to write a religious work use a certain technique that is recognized as being indicative of religious music?

#35 · (Edited)
Since we aren't directly answering the OP anymore, may I post a technical question here?

<Snip>

Are there any techniques in composition, other than adding religious vocal and choral parts (or spoken religious text, as is the case for Haydn's 7 Last Words) that are typical for religious music - i.e. definite religious undertones? Would one who wanted to write a religious work use a certain technique that is recognized as being indicative of religious music?
Not as far as I know. Simplest one to look at would be Biber's Rosary Sonatas. That is described as programmatic music but it is the titles that make it religious. Here's a nice article that covers much of the ground you're looking at together with a hefty dose of theology. It basically syas that it's the lyrics that make music religious.

Another example would be Mahler's 8th> Although it borrows from the Veni Creator Spritus, it is not (usually) thought of as a piece of religious music.

#34 ·
Well, perhaps quoting religious hymns or plainchant? It seems to be the most straightforward way to make an instrumental work religious.

Best regards, Dr

Reactions: Ingélou
#41 ·
There are many things lying in the dust in the east that testify about how entangled christianity and islam were in the beginning...This sure is ''westernized'' versiion but even like that it carries that veil of mystery West cannot produce...:)

Reactions: Taggart
G
#44 ·
It isn't really that surprising - after all, Christianity and Islam both arose in the same region (as did Judaism). We think of Christianity as a Western religion, and associate it with Europe and the West, but it first grew up in the Middle East. And there was a great deal of interaction with the Middle East - Europe was heavily involved there for a long time, as it was the site of the Holy Land. Then you also have places like Istanbul/Constantinople where they were mixing together. Consider also the mixing that must have occurred in Spain during the time that the Moors held control. Christianity and Islam have been rubbing elbows for practically their whole existence, and there are still significant Christian populations in otherwise Muslim nations who, apart from religion, share other cultural ties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.