Classical Music Forum banner

Issue with my recording of Goodall's Rheingold - anyone else have this issue?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Pugg 
#1 ·
I've been listening to the Goodall Ring again - finding more appreciation than I once had for it. On disc 2 something seems to be amiss from the transition from track 18 (In the clouds, you great ones) to track 19 (All must stand in amazement). It seems like track 18 is somehow cut off. Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

#3 ·
I have the Chandos. I thought maybe it was an issue with my recording, but the timings on the tracks match up with what's on iTunes. I am wondering if it's an mp3 issue, as that's how I bought it.

#9 ·
I've listened via Spotify and YouTube. You may be noticing something different, but what I can detect on these versions is perhaps a poor splice approximately 2 seconds into track 19, when Loge first sings.

Track 19:

Track 18 is also on YouTube.

The text is all there (I don't have the English libretto used in front of me; this is my attempt at transcribing what they sing)

[Track 18, ~2:46]
ALBERICH
Haha! You have been warned!
Beware!
Beware of my armies of night
Beware the day
when the Nieblung's gold shall vanquish the world

WOTAN
No more, impious wretch.

ALBERICH
What says he?

LOGE
Try to be patient

[Track 19 starts]
All must stand in amazement
beholding Alberich's work...

I don't think there's any music missing? The Gergiev recording (as an example) puts a track break a few lines before the Goodall one, so you can hear in a continuous track how it should go, and it seems just as quick.

WOTAN
Vergeh, frevelnder Gauch!

ALBERICH
Was sagt der?

LOGE
Sei doch bei Sinnen!

Wen doch fasste nicht Wunder,
erfährt er Alberichs Werk?

#10 ·
Thanks all, I appreciate it. Not a big issue. Honestly, it is too slow for me, but I like what I've heard. The problem is, even though it's in English, it's hard to make out what they are saying.

I wish the rest of the Gergiev would come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.