Classical Music Forum banner

Classical has Made me Lose Something for Jazz Lately

3K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  hpowders 
#1 ·
Perhaps I've just been on a Classical kick as of late, but Jazz doesn't sound as appealing as it once did compared to Classical Music. :confused:

#25 ·
Haha, I do enjoy liking posts and showing my appreciation for all our wonderful TC members. However, I've actually written a vast number of posts myself...I'm not sure why our posting paths haven't yet crossed. :confused:Maybe we're just not posting on the same threads? Anyway, if you're interested in exploring my "opuses," so to speak, you can click on my name to see a list of my recent posts.

#30 ·
I do think my tastes are growing towards Classical more though, I still love everything I have in my collection, but Classical has become more dominant. I just love it! I like the structure and direction Classical brings which is almost the opposite spirit of what Jazz is about, which is what makes both great! I'm certainly a classical pianists more than a jazz pianists I'd say, certainly.

#34 ·
When I switched from pop&rock to classical in the mid/late 80s, I could not see myself listening to my old love anymore. There was so much to explore in classical. That lasted about 10 years, then I realized that although I was never done with exploring classical, I was missing my pop/rock music. For the past 15-20 years I've gone about 50/50 classical/pop&rock (OK, with some jazz thrown in as well), and I love that mix.

#38 ·
I grew up in classical (played piano and cello all through school until college), then in college I was exposed to progressive rock (called "art rock" in those days), and some jazz. All of that has continued to expand scope. I'm particularly attracted to genre-crossing works that truly blend influences into something new.

A few favorites:
Dixie Dregs - southern rock, jazz, bluegrass - "What If", "Dregs of the Night"
Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - post-punk, jazz, classical minimalism - "The Iridium Controversy"
Univers Zero - chamber rock, heavy influence from Stravinsky and Bartok - "1313", "Heresie", "Ceux du dehors"
Thinking Plague - avant rock - "This Life", "A History of Madness"

I'm recently back into classical in a big way, having bought a piano and starting to play again for the first time in decades.

#39 · (Edited)
I've heard dashes of Rachmaninoff and Prokofiev in Art Tatum. Tatum is on the earlier side of azz anyway, still has that classical ragtime feel, so it hits that spot. And his Humoresque (Dvorak) is just lovely. There's quite a few versions but this one, although unfortunately of lower sound quality (although you do get to see him play, which is a plus) is my favorite. That rhythm in the beginning.. Mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.